Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
re-read............she is not hiring....she is selling goods
It is illegal to discriminate in hiring and it is also illegal to discriminate in selling.

We're all supposed to have equal access to the free market regardless of race, creed, religion, etc.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I am with the protest, i refuse to provide or accept services from gays.
Your location says NYC. Disappointing to hear such primitive, regressive views from an advanced, cosmopolitan place like New York City.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
She did not discriminate. She followed her lawful right to her religion. We must be inclusive in this country and allow people to have different life styles and values than we do. We cannot force our views or lifestyle on others. It is bigoted to do so. Live and let live. Freedom to all.

I would suggest she post a sign stating she does not want homosexuals business and that should take care of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
She did nothing wrong and has no reason to admit she did and promise to violate her religion in the future just to make a living. The AG and state in this case is the Bigot. We all have rights and do not give them up to make a living.
Yes, she discriminated. Yes, she is wrong.

What if she posted a sign stating she does not want Blacks or Jews or Muslins, would that be okay?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:03 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes, she discriminated. Yes, she is wrong.

What if she posted a sign stating she does not want Blacks or Jews or Muslins, would that be okay?
You only have to look at a few post on here to know that some folks would think that it's okay.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:09 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
...When longtime customer Ingersoll came to Arlene's Flowers and asked for the flowers, the devout Southern Baptist told him her 'relationship with Jesus Christ' wouldn't allow her to do the wedding.
I wonder if she'd have similar scruples providing flowers for Mr. Ingersoll's funeral conducted by a gay minister?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:11 PM

920 posts, read 633,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Does her "relationship with Jesus Christ" also prevent her from selling flowers to Jews, Muslims, or atheists?
No and it doesn't prevent her from selling flowers to gays...which she did to this very customer for over 9 years. The issue here is that her faith informs her that homosexuality is a sin and therefore, creating floral arrangements in celebration of homosexuality goes against her faith.

I am very proud of Barronelle. I have donated to her defense fund and respect her for standing strong on her faith and principles!!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM

920 posts, read 633,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I wonder if she'd have similar scruples providing flowers for Mr. Ingersoll's funeral conducted by a gay minister?
Of course not, this issue is homosexual marriage...which is a celebration of homosexuality, in which she refused to participate by creating flower arrangements. She sold flowers to the gay customer for over 9 years.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It is illegal to discriminate in hiring and it is also illegal to discriminate in selling.

We're all supposed to have equal access to the free market regardless of race, creed, religion, etc.
Holy crap neutrino... there IS something we can agree on!

This is blatant discrimination. She should prepare for a lawsuit!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No and it doesn't prevent her from selling flowers to gays...which she did to this very customer for over 9 years. The issue here is that her faith informs her that homosexuality is a sin and therefore, creating floral arrangements in celebration of homosexuality goes against her faith.

I am very proud of Barronelle. I have donated to her defense fund and respect her for standing strong on her faith and principles!!
True that. I could not agree more.

Moreover, there is a huge difference between "discrimination" against minorities etc vs gays. Minorities are born that way. Gays are not. Gays CHOOSE to pack chocolate and rub their sausage links together. No one puts a gun to their head and DNA, I don't care what drudged-up research tries to suggest, has nothing to do with it. They CHOOSE to do that, the same way a prostitute chooses to sell her body to a man for money--do we celebrate that?

Having to suppress your inner-urges sucks, pardon the pun, but it's something everyone has to do at some point, straight people included. As a straight man--and by the way, that heterosexuals are called "straight" by itself implies that the given behavior is more normal, as opposed to "crooked"--but we straight men who are married are constantly seeing other attractive women in our daily lives. Purely biologically speaking, we want nothing more than to take those attractive women to the nearest and nicest hotel room and swap sweat all over each other's bare bodies until we can barely wiggle afterwards. We are BORN to feel this way, to see an attractive woman and to want her that way is the most natural thing in the world.

HOWEVER, we don't act on those urges, because we're married, and because to do that would be wrong, NO MATTER how natural it may feel purely biologically-speaking. We may be "born" to want those other women, and it may be natural, but it's also wrong, and we have to suppress that animal desire. Just because the behavior you are acting on is because you think you were "born this way" is no excuse for doing it if the act is amoral.

Especially when you are dealing with commerce on a small scale, you will always see things such as, say, an older couple renting a few homes but not wanting to rent their homes to people who "shack up." I think that's their right. I do agree that lines can become confusing at some point--on one hand, yes, a couple "shacking up" shouldn't always be having doors slammed on their face, if they can pay rent that's all that they should be worried about, they shouldn't have to be homeless just because landlords think their personal life is a basis for renting or not. However, I'm thinking of larger apartment complexes or for borrowing money for buying a home, for smaller operations, such as an older couple renting just 2-3 homes near their own place to where they are going to be bumping into their tenants regularly, they are not going to want to open up their "homes" to people they don't want living there for whatever reason. They are thinking "I'd like to rent out those 2 houses over there, they're just taking up space, but I don't want to do that if I am forced to rent to people I'm not comfortable with living so close to me like that." They should have that right--yes, even if it means we basically overturn housing discrimination laws for such "smaller" scale operations, so be it. There are plenty of larger apartment complexes where no one knows anyone's name that such people can live in and receive the equal treatment they seek.

In like manner, if a photographer wants to photograph a wedding but he is against gay marriage and doesn't want to photograph those, he should be able to enter into business and say "I don't do gay weddings, due to my belief system." There will be plenty of other photographers who won't have an objection, the homosexuals are free to go to them. If someone can make beautiful flower arrangements, they should be able to do so on the condition that they only do so for people they WANT to do this for. We're not talking about homosexual being kicked out of a McDonalds or Wendy's, heck even Chick-Fil-A will serve them. We're talking about artistic types of services and the like, and people shouldn't have to submit their artistic endeavors such as photos, flowers, or cakes towards activities they have moral disagreements with, especially when there are plenty of other equally suitable vendors readily available.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Oh, I get it. You are gay but repressing it. The vulgar description of sex acts gives you away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies