Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 05:12 PM

920 posts, read 633,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Then they should order one of those instead.
Why? Gays are not entitled to the same rights as others.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:13 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Why? Gays are not entitled to the same rights as others.
Everyone has a right to ask a baker to bake a cake that they don't make and be refused.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Nope you are the one who stated previously that if a business sells a wedding cake to anyone else, they MUST sell to gay customers. They you say, well even if they sell wedding cakes, they can deny service if the gay customer requests a rainbow colored penis shaped cake. Nowhere in that statement did you argue anything about denying a gay customer because the baker did not make or was incapable of making such a cake, you stated only that a baker could refuse to bake a rainbow colored penis shaped cake if requested by a gay customer.

YOU are the one who is backtracking on your previously stated argument that if a florist sells wedding flowers to anyone, they must sell wedding flowers to gay people. If a baker sells a wedding cake to anyone, they must sell to gay people.

YOU are the one who changed your argument, not me. I am the one pointing out YOUR hypocrisy...you WISH I were dense.
Maybe you should go back and read what I was responding to. The poster was discussing bakers having objections to the design or decorations of the cake. Since neither case ever discussed the design or decorations it is a moot point, but I agreed that IF the design was not something that the baker would bake for anyone they do not have to sell it to the gay couple either. That is were the penis cake came in, as an example of something that the baker would not make for anyone.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
They sell wedding cakes and the gay customer wants a wedding cake.
If it is a design that the shop offers then the shop has to sell it to them, if it isn't then they don't.

It's a simple concept.

If a baker doesn't do wedding cakes with fountains in them, then they don;t have to sell them to anyone either.
If the baker doesn't sell wedding cakes with hazelnut cream, they don't have to sell them to anyone.
If the baker does not sell wedding cakes over 3 tiers, they do not have to sell them to anyone.
If the baker does not sell wedding cakes with real flowers on them they do not have to sell them to anyone.

If the baker does not sell penis shaped wedding cakes they do not have to sell them to anyone.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Everyone has a right to ask a baker to bake a cake that they don't make and be refused.
No one, other than jjrose, because he/she stuck his/her foot in the mouth, has stated that the baker was incapable of making the requested cake. jjrose tossed that out after saying the gay couple could be denied a cake if they requested a rainbow colored, penis shaped wedding cake.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
But the 1st Amendment protects every citizen from being forced to follow a specific, government sanctioned religion and protects every citizen's right to freely express their religion by prohibiting laws that infringe upon that religious freedom.
EVERY citizens right to freedom of religion by prohibiting ALL laws that infringe on them?

Is that your final answer?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If it is a design that the shop offers then the shop has to sell it to them, if it isn't then they don't.

It's a simple concept.

If a baker doesn't do wedding cakes with fountains in them, then they don;t have to sell them to anyone either.
If the baker doesn't sell wedding cakes with hazelnut cream, they don't have to sell them to anyone.
If the baker does not sell wedding cakes over 3 tiers, they do not have to sell them to anyone.
If the baker does not sell wedding cakes with real flowers on them they do not have to sell them to anyone.

If the baker does not sell penis shaped wedding cakes they do not have to sell them to anyone.

Keep trying to justify your original statement by adding conditions. Doesn't change your initial, unqualified response that gays can be denied service for requesting a rainbow colored, penis shaped wedding cake. End of your statement. PERIOD.

Quote:
No one, other than jjrose, because he/she stuck his/her foot in the mouth, has stated that the baker was incapable of making the requested cake. jjrose tossed that out after saying the gay couple could be denied a cake if they requested a rainbow colored, penis shaped wedding cake.
Yes they can, if the bakery does not offer that kind of cake.

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'm imagining an odd scenario.

A wealthy Muslim man runs several shopping malls/department stores. He decides that women wearing shorts, skirts and short-sleeved shirts are not allowed in his stores. A woman must be covered in pants, long sleeve shirts and a hijab. Women also cannot come to his establishments without an adult male accompanying them. His stores happen to be the only options in a small to mid-sized town, so it's difficult to avoid shopping at the places he runs.

Somehow, I don't think the people supporting the cake store had this in mind. It's not about religious freedom, but rather the allowance of various phobias by (white) Christians.
Isn't he imposing his religious rules on the general public? I can understand a dress code some restaurants have them too but unless it is a church of some kind I do not think he can make them subscribe to any religious rules when in his store and wear a religious garment like a hijab can he? And the part about a man accompanying women that will not work I think he will go out of business.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
EVERY citizens right to freedom of religion by prohibiting ALL laws that infringe on them?

Is that your final answer?

That has never BEEN my answer. Every citizen right to the free exercise of their religious faith is protected by the 1st Amendment. There are no caveats or conditions in the 1st Amendment with regard to specific religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies