Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 AM

59 posts, read 72,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No and it doesn't prevent her from selling flowers to gays...which she did to this very customer for over 9 years. The issue here is that her faith informs her that homosexuality is a sin and therefore, creating floral arrangements in celebration of homosexuality goes against her faith.

I am very proud of Barronelle. I have donated to her defense fund and respect her for standing strong on her faith and principles!!
I agree .She was not discriminating against a 'gay' person pe se ,but the fact of being asked

to celebrate in public, that which is against 'natural', and 'higher law .

Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
EXACTLY. That is the entire point. The florist would have been participating in an event that celebrates homosexuality because a gay "marriage" is consummated by the act of homosexuality...which is a sin according to this woman's Christian faith. Forcing her to participate is the STATE denying her the free exercise of her religion NOT to "support" the act of homosexuality.
what about hetros that engage in the same "sin"?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM

59 posts, read 72,841 times
Quote:
It was the STATE that brought the action, not the customers. Also, if the woman is a devout Christian, I am sure that lying would be in conflict with her faith as well. So lying to her long time customer would be way more hypocritical than honestly expressing her reason for not being able to participate in their event.

I love how progressives are more than happy to urge people to lie, instead of supporting people's right to be honest without the fear of their livelihood being destroyed by force of the STATE.

George Orwell was SOOO prescient.
Yes there was a 'progressive movement' in Germany before the war ,led by the same kind of people.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieTherese View Post
I agree .She was not discriminating against a 'gay' person pe se ,but the fact of being asked

She was not asked to "celebrate" anything. She was asked to do the job that she opened a business to do.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Yes there was a 'progressive movement' in Germany before the war ,led by the same kind of people.
You mean that Catholic man. I can't seem to remember his name....

Do you happen to know the religious make up of Germany pre war?
Quote:
Almost all Germans were Christian, belonging either to the Roman Catholic (ca. 20 million members) or the Protestant (ca. 40 million members)
The German Churches and the Nazi State

Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:

Guests are asked to help the couple celebrate. Service providers are asked to provide a service.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:52 AM

920 posts, read 633,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what about hetros that engage in the same "sin"?
Hetero's that engage in homosexuality?? Do heterosexuals engage florists to participate in ceremonies celebrating homosexual acts? I have never heard of that.

I am not sure how your question relates to the facts of this case.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Hetero's that engage in homosexuality?? Do heterosexuals engage florists to participate in ceremonies celebrating homosexual acts? I have never heard of that.

I am not sure how your question relates to the facts of this case.

you said she objected to it based on her belief that homosexuality is a sin. FYI what about the sins of hetros? many engage in the same type of sexual activity gay people do. should she ask each straight couple wanting a wedding cake if they engage in this kind of "sin"? what about other sins that hetros do that is against her religious beliefs? adultery, lying, stealing and the like?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She was not asked to even attend the event much less participate in it. Her job is done BEFORE the event even starts.

Arrange flowers, and possibly deliver them. That is the extent of the job. She does not have to walk anyone down the aisle, or read the vows, or officiate, or sign the license, or say "I do".

It's like saying that by selling a steak I am participating in a cook out. No, I am selling a steak.
She spends time with the couple, she uses her creativity to express what the couple wants the flowers to reflect as part of the entire event. Her business is represented as part of a ceremony celebrating homosexuality. You have never attended any event or visited a friend and enquired as to who did the flowers or what florist they used for the beautiful arrangement? Her business (and she by extension) is indeed an integral part of the ceremony.

She was not selling flowers to the customer, she would be participating more broadly.

You can sell the steak or you can cater the event. That is the difference.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why don't you keep track of what you claim then?

YOU claimed that "marriage requires consummation to be legitimate."

I showed that a marriage is considered valid by the state the minute the license is filed. If no one says anything about consummation the government will not revoke the marriage based on consummation, or lack thereof, as the government has no way of knowing if the marriage was consummated.

I can get married and never have sex, my marriage will still be valid according to the government.
So you are incapable of admitting a fact that is right there in front of you, huh? Why are you afraid to concede that lack of consummation is grounds for an annulment.

I didn't ask you about "what the government knows." I asked you if you to confirm or deny your understanding that failure to consummate a marriage is grounds for annulment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies