Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:12 AM

66 posts, read 73,334 times

Advertisements

Did anybody see that?
Person who owns business, now is sued only because gay-couple wanted to earn some?
It's not a discrimination(but i will not hide that i'm against same-sex marriages) but now, we are talking not about my "hatred"
I'm not surprised that it happened, because we all remember situation with baker who refused to bake wedding cake. but i'm surprised that court decided to pay for this couple...
Why? Maybe some barbershop owners should serve to dirty homeless people?
Maybe you caan tell me, why our judicial system encourage discrimination?
Florist Barronelle Stutzman rejects Washington's offer to settle gay discrimination case | Daily Mail Online
A Washington florist who refused to provide flowers for a gay wedding rejected an offer from the state to settle a discrimination case by paying a $2,000 fine.
Barronelle Stutzman, a 70-year-old grandmother, wouldn't provide flowers from her shop in Richland, Washington, for the 2013 wedding of Robert Ingersoll and Curt Freed.
When longtime customer Ingersoll came to Arlene's Flowers and asked for the flowers, the devout Southern Baptist told him her 'relationship with Jesus Christ' wouldn't allow her to do the wedding.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:03 AM

174 posts, read 125,395 times
She did nothing wrong and has no reason to admit she did and promise to violate her religion in the future just to make a living. The AG and state in this case is the Bigot. We all have rights and do not give them up to make a living.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
She deserves what she gets. You willfully break the law, you pay the consequences.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
She did nothing wrong and has no reason to admit she did and promise to violate her religion in the future just to make a living. The AG and state in this case is the Bigot. We all have rights and do not give them up to make a living.
Oh, but you do. Commerce is regulated. When you choose to offer goods and services to the public, you must obey the laws, including those prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.

But I think it's great she is choosing to refuse. This is how awesome legal precedents are set.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Oh, but you do. Commerce is regulated. When you choose to offer goods and services to the public, you must obey the laws, including those prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.

But I think it's great she is choosing to refuse. This is how awesome legal precedents are set.
She did not discriminate. She followed her lawful right to her religion. We must be inclusive in this country and allow people to have different life styles and values than we do. We cannot force our views or lifestyle on others. It is bigoted to do so. Live and let live. Freedom to all.

I would suggest she post a sign stating she does not want homosexuals business and that should take care of it.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 AM

If I open another business I will post signs that I prefer homosexuals not enter my doors but if they choose to that they can feel good about a part of there purchase price going to support anti-homosexual programs and causes and if they will identify themselves as homosexuals I will do so in their name.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
She did not discriminate. She followed her lawful right to her religion. We must be inclusive in this country and allow people to have different life styles and values than we do. We cannot force our views or lifestyle on others. It is bigoted to do so. Live and let live. Freedom to all.

I would suggest she post a sign stating she does not want homosexuals business and that should take care of it.

Nonsense. Is it legal to hang a "Whites Only" sign and refuse to serve those who are not white? You know it isn't. Refusing to serve someone because they are not straight is the same thing.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Nonsense. Is it legal to hang a "Whites Only" sign and refuse to serve those who are not white? You know it isn't. Refusing to serve someone because they are not straight is the same thing.
You can refuse anyone for any reason in your own business.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
Did anybody see that?
Person who owns business, now is sued only because gay-couple wanted to earn some?
It's not a discrimination(but i will not hide that i'm against same-sex marriages) but now, we are talking not about my "hatred"
It's the very definition of discrimination.

Quote:
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.
Discrimination | Define Discrimination at Dictionary.com

Quote:
I'm not surprised that it happened, because we all remember situation with baker who refused to bake wedding cake. but i'm surprised that court decided to pay for this couple...
Why? Maybe some barbershop owners should serve to dirty homeless people?
Maybe you caan tell me, why our judicial system encourage discrimination?
Florist Barronelle Stutzman rejects Washington's offer to settle gay discrimination case | Daily Mail Online
A Washington florist who refused to provide flowers for a gay wedding rejected an offer from the state to settle a discrimination case by paying a $2,000 fine.
Barronelle Stutzman, a 70-year-old grandmother, wouldn't provide flowers from her shop in Richland, Washington, for the 2013 wedding of Robert Ingersoll and Curt Freed.
When longtime customer Ingersoll came to Arlene's Flowers and asked for the flowers, the devout Southern Baptist told him her 'relationship with Jesus Christ' wouldn't allow her to do the wedding.
The State of Washington prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Just like people aren't exempted from obeying laws prohibiting discrimination in commerce based on gender or race just because they have a religious excuse for their discrimination, they aren't exempted from obeying laws prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.

A few years back, we had a case where many taxi drivers serving the Minneapolis airport were refusing to serve passengers transporting alcohol and those with service dogs. You see, the Twin Cities has a large Somali population, which is mostly Muslim, and a large portion of the local taxi drivers come from that Somali immigrant population. And, true to form, they cited their religious beliefs as a justification for their discrimination. The MAC (Metropolitan Airports Commission) told them in no uncertain terms:
Stop, or you'll be fined, and if you continue your taxi license will be revoked.
Some Muslim Cabbies in Minneapolis Refusing Service to Passengers With Alcohol, Dogs | Fox News
Minnesota's Muslim cab drivers face crackdown | Reuters

Now, I don't for one minute think you care one whit about the 'right's of these Muslims to discriminate. You want nothing more than a special legal dispensation for Christians - and Christians only - to ignore the law that everyone else has to follow.

And I have no more pity for the florist in Washington than I do for the taxi drivers in Minnesota.

PS - I'd have addressed your specific points, but your writing is so marginally coherent I couldn't figure out what you were trying so futilely to express other than a general unhappiness that the world doesn't cater to your petty bigotry.

PPS - Anyone who thinks there's some sort of right to discriminate based on sexual orientation needs to get a copy of the Constitution and also needs to get a clue.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
You can refuse anyone for any reason in your own business.
Says you. The law says differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies