Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If I have speeds available in my area of 15, and I pay for 3, they SHOULD be throttling my connection to limit me at 3.. Why do you think I should get 15 speeds at 3 cost while everyone else is paying for 15?
Entirely different issue. If you pay for 3 you get 3. If you pay for 15 you get 15. But you get 15 if you are using Netflix or Donkey.com. If the ISP controls you get 15 on Netflix and 1 on Donkey.com based on the ISPs deal with Netflix.

Again you folk don't seem to understand the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:30 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
If Obummer and Hitlary Clinton want it .. it's Marxism for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bUuvfDmsAs

Old 02-26-2015, 01:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If they are not doing it, and don't plan to do it in the future, then why are they fighting the regulations?

Hmmm???
Because reasons! Don't you know?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:31 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Entirely different issue. If you pay for 3 you get 3. If you pay for 15 you get 15. But you get 15 if you are using Netflix or Donkey.com. If the ISP controls you get 15 on Netflix and 1 on Donkey.com based on the ISPs deal with Netflix.

Again you folk don't seem to understand the issue.
nor do the Europeans apparently, as their net neutrality laws allows the ISP to make deals with content providers. The reality is this is all to get their foot in the door so they can start pushing liberal policies onto the ISPs.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Because reasons! Don't you know?
I had a feeling you were a teenager, thanks for confirming it.

And they are fighting the regulations because they are crippling, as are most regulations. disallowing a network to manage their traffic to bring the most value to their customers.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
nor do the Europeans apparently, as their net neutrality laws allows the ISP to make deals with content providers. The reality is this is all to get their foot in the door so they can start pushing liberal policies onto the ISPs.
If that's true (is it?) I've never had any website or streaming capability limited while in Europe.
But even if it is true, in European countries the ISP's do not own the delivery infrastructure. If you don't like your ISP it's not an issue to go to another provider. American's by-and-large cannot shop around for ISP services.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
If that's true (is it?) I've never had any website or streaming capability limited while in Europe.
But even if it is true, in many European countries the ISP's do not own the delivery infrastructure. If you don't like your ISP it's not an issue to go to another provider. American's by-and-large cannot shop around for ISP services.
EU to water down net neutrality rules | EurActiv

Old 02-26-2015, 01:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
I had a feeling you were a teenager, thanks for confirming it.

And they are fighting the regulations because they are crippling, as are most regulations. disallowing a network to manage their traffic to bring the most value to their customers.
I was a teenager when I first used the internet in 1993. Back then there were no commercial ISPs in my city; we had to connect via PPP or SLIP to the local university's connection. It was mainly used for research purposes at that time; there was very little commerce.

Then some beancounters realized they could make money, and that's when cable companies got involved. I don't trust them, and neither do most people. But hey, if you trust your cable company to do the right thing, then I guess you're a rare breed, because that puts you in a special group of about 0.000004% of people. Congratulations!

This law is good for folks like you. You just don't know it. I'll raise a glass the day a cable company gets "crippled" by something.

Quote:
Glad to see conservatives suddenly care what Europe does!

Old 02-26-2015, 01:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There is no evidence that they have been doing that and there is no evidence that they want to do that. That is an Obama lie. If they wanted to do that, they would have been doing it for many years.
So you put your faith in corporate monopolies, why am I not surprised.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Because hes an activist, and it's good for his career. Anything else confusing you?
And yet you don't have an issue with a monopoly using one of their own guys to lie to you in order to get you to agree that the monopoly is good for you. How easily the right wingers let corporations take advantage of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies