Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:27 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You act like most of the internet wasn't already observing FCC Net Neutrality rules.
When, specifically, are you talking about? Let's cut out the vagueness, since that may be some of the cause for the disparity between what you're saying and what I'm saying.

Quote:
The US internet, under previous FCC regulation, observed net neutrality for years. . .without any impact or worries you expressed.
False. There was a point in time when it reasonable network management was having a specific impact prompting worries. That is what precipitated the "fast lanes" and that in turn is what precipitated these new rules.

Quote:
if Comcast, at dinner time, can't serve its customers internet speeds . .everyone watching house of cards at the sametime. . .it just means comcast sucks, and their infrastructure sucks
No it doesn't. If you must create scapegoats then make the American consumer the bad guy, for engaging in childish bargain-hunting behaviors, driving every product and service down in quality and reliability in a petulant attempt to save a nickel.

Quote:
and if you think for one moment that any ISP was making things better for competitors . . your joking.
You need to go back and read what I wrote for understanding, because this indicates you really didn't comprehend what I wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:13 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
When, specifically, are you talking about? Let's cut out the vagueness, since that may be some of the cause for the disparity between what you're saying and what I'm saying.

False. There was a point in time when it reasonable network management was having a specific impact prompting worries. That is what precipitated the "fast lanes" and that in turn is what precipitated these new rules.

No it doesn't. If you must create scapegoats then make the American consumer the bad guy, for engaging in childish bargain-hunting behaviors, driving every product and service down in quality and reliability in a petulant attempt to save a nickel.

You need to go back and read what I wrote for understanding, because this indicates you really didn't comprehend what I wrote.
Many people will pay a premium for service. Unfortunately far more these days simply cannot. Also publicly traded corps exist to make more profit every quarter for shareholders. Please go follow the money and see who owns these shares.

This centrally controlled hierarchy driven by the same group at the top of the food chain is how all this has ended up this way. No individual accountability or transparency has allowed global inc to form.

A small group controls 80% of global wealth. Govt is the heavy machinery.
Revealedthe capitalist network that runs the world - physics-math ...

quote:
What's more, although they represented 20 per cent of global operating revenues, the 1318 appeared to collectively own through their shares the majority of the world's large blue chip and manufacturing firms - the "real" economy - representing a further 60 per cent of global revenues.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
How can you say that? Now: High-bandwidth users enjoy "fast lanes". Next: We take away the "fast lanes". What do you think is going to happen?
What fast lanes? Cox here has none and never has. As long as Cox meets their download requirement I am limited by my end not by Cox.

Now you may be talking about the hardware dispersion by some of the content providers. But that has little to do with the last mile user problem. And that last mile is exactly what Comcast was blocking.

Quote:
The opposite is true, but that's because you're playing with words, using the term "less susceptible" in a manner inconsistent with many user's understanding of what those words should be taken to mean.

Oh my. I need to bring you over to AVS Forum. You can float that balloon and we can have a fun time watching the videophiles heads explode.

No: Buffering doesn't remove all or most effects. Rather, before the "fast lanes", there were many more complaints about downshifting resolution and buffering delays in playback.
I expect that very few of the AVS members understand how buffering operates and I am not sure about you. The AVS guys simply get annoyed when the buffering fails. But in general buffering should never fail as long as the ISP is meeting his down commitment.

The Comcast battles of course were over bit torrent and had nothing to do with buffering.

Quote:
Gamers, yes. Us here on City-Data... we probably notice the effects the least. I spend 90% of the time reading a static page, and 5% of the time typing in replies, so only 5% of the time actually navigating and loading new pages, often in the background so I really don't know if it takes 1s or 3s.

Say more, please.
ISPs commit to two things. Download rate and monthly total download. If they fail to meet either I would think regulatory agencies could take action. Might be the Feds or a PUC or even a user group suit.

Here Cox has a license from the municipalities. I would think a regulatory scheme could be set up. I have even thought about pushing for guaranteed service to all homes...a thing that is lacking here and is very hard for the immediate client to do anything about.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:23 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Many people will pay a premium for service. Unfortunately far more these days simply cannot.
And most of those who can don't. That combines to bring about the situation I alluded to, which we can see throughout the consumer marketplace. Engaging in childish bargain-hunting behaviors drives every product and service down in quality and reliability.

Quote:
Also publicly traded corps exist to make more profit every quarter for shareholders. Please go follow the money and see who owns these shares.
When people choose to buy the cheaper item, they're subconsciously thinking, "Why pay for quality? This will do what I need." They're not thinking that their purchase weakens quality workmanship.

Quote:
This centrally controlled hierarchy driven by the same group at the top of the food chain is how all this has ended up this way.
And citizens have allowed it - voted for it - most of them voting for something that will indirectly harm them. Because at the moment they're just myopically thinking of their own immediate needs or reacting to some myopically corrupt fiction that duped them into supporting that which is against their own personal interests long-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
What fast lanes?
The fast lanes that were the instigator of this recent net neutrality debate.

Quote:
Now you may be talking about the hardware dispersion by some of the content providers. But that has little to do with the last mile user problem.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the new rules or this discussion for that matter.

Quote:
But in general buffering should never fail as long as the ISP is meeting his down commitment.
That's ridiculous. I think you don't understand how reasonable network management affects the service.

Quote:
ISPs commit to two things. Download rate and monthly total download.
And it isn't a commitment. It's an equivocal promise to seek to achieve those metrics during periods of middling and low utilization of the service.

Quote:
If they fail to meet either I would think regulatory agencies could take action. Might be the Feds or a PUC or even a user group suit.
And it didn't, and won't, happen because your expectations are unreasonable given the terms and conditions of the service. And if you think that's going to change, then you don't understand the political situation, nor the nature of consumer behaviors I outlined at the top of this message.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
And most of those who can don't. That combines to bring about the situation I alluded to, which we can see throughout the consumer marketplace. Engaging in childish bargain-hunting behaviors drives every product and service down in quality and reliability.

When people choose to buy the cheaper item, they're subconsciously thinking, "Why pay for quality? This will do what I need." They're not thinking that their purchase weakens quality workmanship.

And citizens have allowed it - voted for it - most of them voting for something that will indirectly harm them. Because at the moment they're just myopically thinking of their own immediate needs or reacting to some myopically corrupt fiction that duped them into supporting that which is against their own personal interests long-term.
I don't think this is the source of the problem. Certainly people should be aware, conscious and practice self-responsibility. The institutionalization of the markets didn't come from consumer buying habits. Many people will still pay for quality if they can. However, they have no choices anymore.

Not just anyone can be a Telecom or ISP. Those who tried in the 90's saw how that worked out.

Voting really is a choice between 2 flavors of vanilla. Never mind it is very apparent who owns the entire voting system and the computers running it. Same players.

HAVA made gaming elections a piece of cake.

Goldman Sachs US election investment

High wealth financiers, FBI guy, Bush advisors behind AmericansElect.org

Who owns Scytl? George Soros isn’t in the voting machines, but the intelligence community is.

Youtube filtered this, so need archive.org

https://archive.org/details/Hacking_Democracy

"Man-in-the-Middle" Remote Attack on Diebold Touch-screen Voting Machine by Argonne National Lab - YouTube

TheLastHope_Pt5of7_Panelists_HACKING DEMOCRACY_ An In-Depth Analysis of the ES&S Voting Systems.mp4 - YouTube

Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 AM
bUU

Quote:
Many people will still pay for quality if they can.
But not enough to make a difference.

Quote:
However, they have no choices anymore.
Because the long-standing and consistent practice of childish bargain-hunting behaviors has driven every product and service down in quality and reliability.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
But not enough to make a difference.

Because the long-standing and consistent practice of childish bargain-hunting behaviors has driven every product and service down in quality and reliability.
No not enough because they don't have the money. The divide is larger now than ever.

This is a product of social engineering, but again it did not cause the markets to be institutionalized. The dramatic exponential change from the 80s on are huge. That is a classic meme to point the finger at the abstract masses. Go look at who owns the shares, the market/regulation changes that were made. Many were trying to buy quality and American when they had money. The govt funds benefit hugely from that Chinese off-shoring. Go look at the public investments and the shares. Fitts saw first hand what was going on and barely escaped prison (millions later) for giving people a tool to follow the money. She was flat out told about the off-shoring plan before it happened full scale. The parasite is killing the host.

This came from the top down, not the reverse. Not to say individuals can't make a big difference, but the real power is not in the label as consumer. Plenty of white papers on how the markets changed. The whole economy didn't become debt-based accidentally and institutionally consolidated. it was very obviously premeditated, by design.

Some of the larger changes made. Go look at Redev and PPPs, as well.

Quote:
What others have said on here about the markets is true prior to this, but FSMA was just part of the changes. The changes were progressive and many to continue and expand the consolidation.

This is most of the major changes, occurring in the 90s. When you see the progression, even with what occurred prior to this one can see how quickly so many changes occurred. The 90's is what really paved the way for the shadow banking explosion after 2000. CAF talks about this, she saw plenty while she was in govt, then even more when she was in finance. She describes it as the liquidation of everywhere, iirc.

Derivatives via Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (Also known as Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999), Commodity Modernization Act,(2000)etc...

The "public" internet around 1995 coupled with the market changes then from around 2000 to fairly recently (-33% manufacturing). Internet infrastructure was needed for effective offshoring.

There was the housing bubble and mortgage changes. You need to shift the market if you are going to offshore everything, right? Then there is a need to start leveraging and building those derivatives/securities to new heights.

Timeline of the United States housing bubble

NAFTA also (94) (also other agreements) Essentially just like AG21, more corporate merger/management with regionalization.

North American Free Trade Agreement
Also Perm China favored nation status.

This is EO relating to budgeting.(97) That clearly defines capital including "human capital".
God Bless All the Little Children | Executive Order No. 13037 ...

AG21 becoming a "national" action plan was also under Clinton admin. This is comprehensive a corporate administrative plan for pretty much everything.

Community Reinvestment Act
Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking and Branching Efficiency Act ...

Last edited by CDusr; 03-11-2015 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: added links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies