Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As a cop (a.k.a government employee) you will faithfully carry out every one of his edicts. Stop pretending you are one of us.
Actually you are wrong ... sheriffs are the last bastion of constitutional law defenders in our country... and while I have to be careful what I post publicly acts of constitution awareness occur everywhere

During the riots we let many citizens go who were armed without ccw

For those of us old enough most citizens also didn't get the awb applied to them at the patrol level ... few of us agreed with it.. I cannot recall ever charging Joe citizen with his ars in his closet... Joe scrote.. even then it was ex felon in possession... not awb crap

Frank... you come at me all over the place ... be happy there are government people like me with our heads on straight... people like me are probably the best friends you can wish for

Card carrying paying NRA lifer here... how about you... money drives the debate...
and defense

Am I one of "you"... what is you frank?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
What is next?
Perhaps he will ban other type of ammo?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Ya know, a person can be killed with a .22 so this makes no sense at all unless, of course, it's just another attempt at making liberals feel good.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Obama to ban certain ammo... what is next?

Certain ammo has been banned for decades.

We've all gotten along fine without it.

Next silly Obamaphobic topic, please!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
I posted my distaste for this move and how it will adversely affect my shooting in the future but You are all spinning this into a big caldron of Bull-S#!.
Obama has nothing to do with this. It's strictly an administrative decision by the BATFE. The original law that it falls under is called
Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (P.L. 99-408) (“LEOPA”)

"The GCA provisions defining and governing armor piecing ammunition were originally
enacted in the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (P.L. 99-408) (“LEOPA”). The
primary goal of the LEOPA provisions regarding armor piecing ammunition was the protection
of police officers from death or injury as the result of the criminal use of handgun ammunition
capable of penetrating protective vests (soft body armor)."

The law was passed by Ronald Reagan. It has nothing to do with Obama, executive orders by him or even remotely connected to him. The only Gun Control Law the President has ever had any hand in whatsoever is allowing firearms in National Parks when they were previously forbidden.
I hate this new restriction and the restriction on steel jacketed 7.62 and Russian military grade Ammo for the AK74 as these calibers directly impact my shooting. So in theory, I'm with the gun rights activists on this one.

But you tagging Obama as the culprit is just a bunch of partisan hooey. It's all explained in great detail in another post on page one on the exact same subject.

Those of you who need a detailed explanation of how and why this has happened, I'll be glad to oblige.

Those of you who will ignore the facts and keep B!t#h slapping your Obama dolls, there's no use even talking to you. Carry on.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:37 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I posted my distaste for this move and how it will adversely affect my shooting in the future but You are all spinning this into a big caldron of Bull-S#!.
Obama has nothing to do with this. It's strictly an administrative decision by the BATFE. The original law that it falls under is called
Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (P.L. 99-408) (“LEOPA”)

"The GCA provisions defining and governing armor piecing ammunition were originally
enacted in the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (P.L. 99-408) (“LEOPA”). The
primary goal of the LEOPA provisions regarding armor piecing ammunition was the protection
of police officers from death or injury as the result of the criminal use of handgun ammunition
capable of penetrating protective vests (soft body armor)."

The law was passed by Ronald Reagan. It has nothing to do with Obama, executive orders by him or even remotely connected to him. The only Gun Control Law the President has ever had any hand in whatsoever is allowing firearms in National Parks when they were previously forbidden.
I hate this new restriction and the restriction on steel jacketed 7.62 and Russian military grade Ammo for the AK74 as these calibers directly impact my shooting. So in theory, I'm with the gun rights activists on this one.

But you tagging Obama as the culprit is just a bunch of partisan hooey. It's all explained in great detail in another post on page one on the exact same subject.

Those of you who need a detailed explanation of how and why this has happened, I'll be glad to oblige.

Those of you who will ignore the facts and keep B!t#h slapping your Obama dolls, there's no use even talking to you. Carry on.

I was simply reporting on what I heard on the radio then I looked up a link on the internet to share with you folks. I still think it is pretty shocking and believe that Obama is behind it.
The caliber in question is the .223

Where is this other post? I did a quick scan of the current events, politics, great debates and guns and hunting forums here on city data and didn't see anything about this ammo ban before I posted.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:41 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
And how many law enforcement officers have been shot or killed by this ammunition? Or, how many civilians have been injured by this ammunition? All this is doing is making ammunition more expensive because it limits supply. It's already expensive enough to buy ammo unless you have plenty of time to scour the internet and stores looking for deals. The truth of the matter is most of these rounds end up buried deep in a berm at a shooting range, not in a person. The Evil Black Rifle isn't as evil as our masters would have us believe.

Mohawkx, please explain to the class how the BATFE has the right to tell us what we can or cannot have. This could be spun either way, and I realize that. But some of this stuff is just feel-good banning. This is one of those cases. And how long until the media start calling this stuff cop-killer ammo, and then cop-killer guns? We can't expect honest reporting without sensationalism. I think we can all agree on that. It just seems like a natural segue.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
And how many law enforcement officers have been shot or killed by this ammunition? Or, how many civilians have been injured by this ammunition? All this is doing is making ammunition more expensive because it limits supply. It's already expensive enough to buy ammo unless you have plenty of time to scour the internet and stores looking for deals. The truth of the matter is most of these rounds end up buried deep in a berm at a shooting range, not in a person. The Evil Black Rifle isn't as evil as our masters would have us believe.

Mohawkx, please explain to the class how the BATFE has the right to tell us what we can or cannot have. This could be spun either way, and I realize that. But some of this stuff is just feel-good banning. This is one of those cases. And how long until the media start calling this stuff cop-killer ammo, and then cop-killer guns? We can't expect honest reporting without sensationalism. I think we can all agree on that. It just seems like a natural segue.
Look I agree that it's a crummy BATFE directive, just as the ban on 7.62X39, steel jacketed, just as the ban on Russian surplus 7N6 steel penetrator ammo is a crummy BATFE directive.
But it has nothing to do with Obama. BATFE periodically comes out with revised enforcement directives for existing laws, already on the books for very obscure reasons or no reason at all.

The short explaination is as follows.

Based on the link I provided referencing Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (P.L. 99-408) (“LEOPA”), certain ammunition is classified as AP (armor piercing) and is illegal for use in a handgun. This caused BATFE to ban all steel jacked 7.62 that one could previously buy from China for 55.00 a case of a thousand. Needless to say, the price of commercial 7.62 went through the roof.
Now it should be noted that almost all rifle ammo is Armor piercing. 7.62X39 was allowed until someone made a pistol out of a 7.62 rifle, thereby creating a platform that could fire this armor piercing ammo from a handgun.

Someone else manufactured a pistol made from an AK74 which fired russian surplus 7N6 and BATFE took that opportunity to ban Russian surplus because now you had another pistol on the market that shot what they deemed "cop killer" bullets. Where one could buy 7N6 for 200 a case of 2200, now its $500 or more if you can find it. My Title II AK74 eats 7N6 like a teenager eats M&Ms.

Now there are various types of AR15 pistols being manufactured and Milsurp 5.56 steel tipped, ammo is now illegal according to the letter of the law that Reagan signed in 1986. No .223 ammo has been banned. .223 is a sporting round made for many rifles that chamber that caliber, mostly for hunters. 5.56 is a different round made specifically for the military and has a different neck than .223. You shouldn't use 5.56 in a rifle specifically made for just .223. Also the optimal rifling is different for .223 and 5.56.

I disagree with the law entirely and it has impacted my shooting experience greatly. I'm a Title II gun owner with calibers in 7.62, 5.45, and 5.56, these ridiculous regs placed by BATFE have absolutely no effect on police safety and do nothing to improve gun safety or management.

but that doesn't change the fact that President Obama has absolutely nothing to do with this latest BATFE enforcement of a Reagan law.

I completely agree. This is nothing but "feel good banning" on BATFE's part. .

Last edited by mohawkx; 02-28-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Look I agree that it's a crummy BATFE directive, just as the ban on 7.62X39, steel jacketed, just as the ban on Russian surplus 7N6 steel penetrator ammo is a crummy BATFE directive.
But it has nothing to do with Obama. BATFE periodically comes out with revised enforcement directives for existing laws, already on the books for very obscure reasons or no reason at all.

The short explaination is as follows.

Based on the link I provided referencing Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1986 (P.L. 99-408) (“LEOPA”), certain ammunition is classified as AP (armor piercing) and is illegal for use in a handgun. This caused BATFE to ban all steel jacked 7.62 that one could previously buy from China for 55.00 a case of a thousand. Needless to say, the price of commercial 7.62 went through the roof.
Now it should be noted that almost all rifle ammo is Armor piercing. 7.62X39 was allowed until someone made a pistol out of a 7.62 rifle, thereby creating a platform that could fire this armor piercing ammo from a handgun.
Someone else manufactured a pistol made from an AK74 which fired russian surplus 7N6 and BATFE took that opportunity to ban Russian surplus because now you had another pistol on the market that shot what they deemed "cop killer" bullets.
Now there are various types of AR15 pistols being manufactured and Milsurp 5.56 ammo is now illegal according to the letter of the law that Reagan signed in 1986. No .223 ammo has been banned. .223 is a sporting round made for many rifles that chamber that caliber, mostly for hunters. 5.56 is a different round made specifically for the military and has a different neck than .223. You cannot use 5.56 in a rifle specifically made for just .223.

I disagree with the law entirely and it has impacted my shooting experience greatly. I'm a Title II gun owner with calibers in 7.62, 5.45, and 5.56, these ridiculous regs placed by BATFE have absolutely no effect on police safety and do nothing to improve gun safety or management.

but that doesn't change the fact that President Obama has absolutely nothing to do with this latest BATFE enforcement of a Reagan law.

I completely agree. This is nothing but "feel good banning" on BATFE's part. I can't tell you how many spats I've had with BATFE over various issues, but that's another story for another thread, in another forum.
Can he stop it?

Old 02-28-2015, 01:17 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ya know, a person can be killed with a .22 so this makes no sense at all unless, of course, it's just another attempt at making liberals feel good.
And to get their foot in the door, so they can add/expand more bans later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies