Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Are you suggesting gulags?
The opposite of private prison's are not gulags. I think it's pretty clear what the OP is suggesting, but that's not in the Republican manifesto, so let's just make something up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
So less prisoners means more criminals are free, that is a good thing? If anything we need MORE prisoners and to keep them LONGER, as criminals are still causing problems in society.
Not necessarily. I could mean there are just fewer criminals.

And since drug related crimes make up a hefty chunk of prisoners, I wouldn't say releasing them is the equivalent of releasing criminals into the world. Rapists, thieves, and murderers are criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Lets base it on fact.

Is it in the DNA? That little DNA sequence that gives someone that "Black or Hispanic" look has them prone to criminal behavior?

I say there are other factors contributing to Stereotypes, for your branch of thinking. Some things are just self evident.

The facts are in your head, you have chosen to divide humanity into groups that really have no basis. Or can you define the specific DNA sequence that causes these disparities?
I applaud you for not recognizing race. You're high above many here.

But there's one problem: the state does recognize race.

It does matter if race is a social construct or not. There is nothing in the DNA that makes you black except skin pigment, but it means nothing else. Hispanic is a BS term, since many Hispanics are white, but because they're south of Texas, we don't consider them white. Even though their ancestry comes from Spain, whom we do consider white. Does it make sense? Not even a little. But the state recognizes race and our justice system is not color blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 04:30 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
This would solve so much. Presently about 70% of Cops time is spent on the War on "Drugs"-that is absurd and the reason why they are unable to actually keep thieves, rapists and killers in prison.

Today, Police are nothing more than revenue generators for the state-drug crimes bring in the most revenue since they can seize all property and wealth from the "drug criminal" so that is where their focus is.
Absolutely false .... more false statements by police haters.....ninety percent of my time is trying to get idiots get along with each other... or responding to calls where all those released prisoners... ab109.... or drug offenders ..prop 47... are recommiting crimes....

Our prison system is a joke... many felonies get released with a summons... drug crime rarely means a defendant is held....rarely ...those that do have other crimes along with dope.

What other countries do is irrelevant... we have the issues we deal with in our mores ..not theirs...we could use prison labor in more effective manners but unions and liberal activist judges stop any effective programs...

Look at Maricopa county... that's how we should run jails... not the country clubs that some prisons are... we should also charge full costs to anyone with even a scintilla of wealth to recover costs

I wish it was easy to get some dopers property to pay for the chaos they rain down on all if us... seizure is a complex long drawn out process .. reviewed by several layers of judicial review...

Let's go to the source
Sterilize felons of the dangerous kind
Use Capitol punishment
Stop drug use at its core... the user.. who is hedonistic and selfish
Reform welfare... stop benefits to druggies...breeders.. and healthy able bodied individuals

Last edited by notmeofficer; 02-27-2015 at 04:58 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Quote:
Heres an example.

Pharmaceuticals can be quite expensive largely due to the R&D investments that go into getting to the final product. Considered the world’s most expensive drug, Soliris treats a rare, life-threatening disease that destroys red blood cells more quickly than normal. A year's treatment could cost a whopping $569,000.

How much of that is profit? Should that economic model be based on growing the product line?
You do understand that the government was a large factor in creating those prices, right? So how exactly can you trust them to fix it?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Absolutely false .... more false statements by police haters.....ninety percent of my time is trying to get idiots get along with each other... or responding to calls where all those released prisoners... ab109.... or drug offenders ..prop 47... are recommiting crimes....

Our prison system is a joke... many felonies get released with a summons... drug crime rarely means a defendant is held....rarely ...those that do have other crimes along with dope.

What other countries do is irrelevant... we have the issues we deal with in our mores ..not theirs...we could use prison labor in more effective manners but unions and liberal activist judges stop any effective programs...

Look at Maricopa county... that's how we should run jails... not the country clubs that some prisons are... we should also charge full costs to anyone with even a scintilla of wealth to recover costs

I wish it was easy to get some dopers property to pay for the chaos they rain down on all if us... seizure is a complex long drawn out process .. reviewed by several layers of judicial review...

Let's go to the source
Sterilize felons of the dangerous kind
Use Capitol punishment
Stop drug use at its core... the user.. who is hedonistic and selfish
Reform welfare... stop benefits to druggies...breeders.. and healthy able bodied individuals
Facts please-if Cops weren't preoccupied with protecting people from themselves-an impossible attempt, they'd actually be able to help people from other harmful people-their only real responsibility.

You want a draconian type of police state in order to force others to live how you live-that is the antithesis of a free society and not something to be tolerated in this country.

It doesn't matter what you think-consuming a plant is not a crime no matter how much money corporations and our Government have spent to convince you it is. Nixon commissioned a health study before launching the War on "Drugs" and when the study found marijuana to be harmless he went to war on Americans anyway, the biggest reason being an excuse to lock up anti-war protestors during that time.

Your occupation renders you biased and unable to have an honest discussion on this topic. You are protecting your livelihood, but in the long run your occupation will be more respected and endurable if you give up that charade and be more open to discussion. If politicians end the war on "drugs" tomorrow you will be forced to comply with the law, so you better get used to opinions other than your own. Your job is to uphold the law, not legislate it.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
I used to be for universal healthcare until I heard Brits complain about the NHS. There are other ways policy makers can help lower cost instead of creating a national single payer.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 AM

25,845 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Saying that healthcare should not be provided for the citizens is like saying that parents should not be required to have a roof over the part of the house that their children stay in. I mean they feed them, clothe them and send them to school. Why should they be responsible for the roof? Can't the children come up with some other way to protect themselves?

To me, this is just how stupid the healthcare question is. There is not a question, kick the criminal capitalists out and let's figure this thing out.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
About 70% of US adults are overweight/ obese. We are the fattest country in the world. As such, otherwise preventable diseases, Diabetes, Heart Disease and certain Cancers, are common.

The U.S. Army is considering " Conditioning (fat) Camps" to meet recruitment quotas.

Insurers have been charging smokers higher premiums for the last 15 years+/- because they are substantially more likely to encounter serious disease than the non- smoking population.

Why not charge those with waist sizes greater than X, higher premiums for the same reasons smokers are charged more?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Let me say this...I don't hate the cops. You guys have a tough job, What I dislike are those who employ you enacting a lot of unnecessary laws, as well as crooked cops, and believe me they are out there.

We will more than likely agree to disagree, but I think it is time that we change our stance on drug laws, cannabis especially. Prohibition creates a black market, and therefore with that comes more crime. If you say that there are crimes associated with cannabis such as a "drug deal gone bad" I'm inclined to agree, because being illegal it isn't as though someone is going to call the cops about it. You don't however here of an alcohol deal gone bad, because you can legally purchase it with age restrictions of course. The same should hold true for cannabis. 21 and over. Get caught driving stoned, get a DUI. Come to work stoned, get fired!

Sure. Put the hard criminals to work if you're not going to execute them.

Let's go to the source
Sterilize felons of the dangerous kind- I'm not sure that the American public would go for this. I mean, take some guy who stole a car at 18 for example, and 25 years has gone by, where he did his time, paid his dues to society, has been for the most part a model citizen, and hasn't done anything since. Should he be required to be sterilized? Now if we're talking pedophiles, rapists, and cold blooded murderers, those people should NOT be released back into society!

Use Capitol punishment- Let me say this. I understand why people are against Capitol punishment, in not putting trust into allowing the government to kill someone! And this is probably one thing that goes against my libertarian principles, but I do agree that if you kill someone in cold blood, and the evidence is ABSOLUTELY overwhelming, then you deserve to be executed!

Stop drug use at its core... the user.. who is hedonistic and selfish- That will never happen, and perhaps it is selfish, but it isn't up to the government or anyone else to tell us what we can put in our bodies, especially if we haven't harmed someone else in the process. But you could also say it is equally selfish to try and restrict the choices of others simply because you don't like those choices under the guise of "we know what is best for you." However; I will agree that if your actions do cause harm to another person, whether it be drug use, or any other activity then you should accept any of the potential consequences.

I agree. There does need to be reform. I believe in a hand up, not a hand out. In other words I'm willing to help, but what are YOU doing to help yourself? And Americans have proven to be rather charitable without having the need to be forced to fund wasteful programs. I also know that realistically we can't just up and cut off welfare, becauseI there would literally be riots in the streets, and civil unrest that we've not seen before, and I don't think that Americans are prepared for that. But we could certainly take steps to reform it.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
No one is talking about doing anything for free. Just not for profit.

No one is talking about free medicine. But medicine for profit is ............ wrong.

What chemical that you know is expensive and rare? I know the vetting process is expensive and I agree they should recover the investment. But not for profit.

The accessibility to the medicine is what determines the price, is the motivation to make medicines cheaper there? No. Think about it.
Not for profit hospitals/ medical centers are not precluded from making a profit. Some routinely make $ hundreds of millions in profit each year. They simply cannot use those profits to pay dividends to shareholders.
Instead, many build their brand, acquire or destroy the competition.

It's likely the next wave will be more major healthcare systems competing with insurers by offering their own plans.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:51 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
Quote:
It depends what you call a criminal.

Do you think Americans are just more "criminal like" than people in other countries? Why the enormous difference in prison population? Is it in our DNA?

It's our policies.
It is on account of our open door policy, bring us the poor and downtrodden of the world, with all of their 3rd world problems. Given what we have to work with we do pretty well on encouraging lawful behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies