Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 03:38 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,459,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Walker believes the blue collar workers in Wisconsin are getting paid too well. With this legislation workers in Wisconsin can expect Alabama and Mississippi-level benefits and wages. Walker believes if this passes Wisconsin can be as successful and prosperous as those two red states..
Do you lie in bed at night next to Walker and have him whisper in your ear? Because that's really the only way I can think that you know his private thoughts.

Else, you're just making up a strawman and then bashing it to demonize someone you don't like, which puts your ethics into far greater question than it does Walker's.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,789,972 times
I never understood how closed shops could be legal anyway. I always thought the US Constitution protected people from being forced to join organizations they didn't want to.

Unions are private organizations. How can people be made to join them or give them money? Or make being in one a condition for employment? If that isn't coercion, what is? It's like making someone join a political party.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:59 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,789,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Walker believes the blue collar workers in Wisconsin are getting paid too well. With this legislation workers in Wisconsin can expect Alabama and Mississippi-level benefits and wages. Walker believes if this passes Wisconsin can be as successful and prosperous as those two red states..
I don't know about Mississippi, but Alabama has a lot of new auto and steel plants. SC is getting a new Mercedes plant. And the Toyota workers we saw in a bar in KY last week looked pretty happy.

States like Wisconsin, NY, Michigan can learn a lot from KY, SC, etc. Maybe it would help them get out of the hole they've dug for themselves.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 AM

57,195 posts, read 26,154,591 times
This is a bill in search of a problem, private unions are not the issue at least not in Wisconsin. Two companies that come to mind are Harley Davidson and Mercury Marine that have been reasonable working with management. Public unions are more of an issue.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,203,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Welcome to NC without the nice weather. Earning's are lower, poverty is higher,politicians(R) will now control your ability to earn a good living.'

NC, where the dems CONTROLLED the state legislature for 100 YEARS.

Do don't think the DEMS might be a just a LITTLE responsible for items you seem to care so much about.

It is going to take a few years to FIX all the problems the dems CAUSED.
The GOP has controlled the agenda for over a decade. Its their inabilty to get any thing of value done is what is hurting the state. Their idea of NAFTA has hurt NC with jobs going away and the Future TPP, which the GOP wants to support, will destroy more jobs.

No Right to work means the right to earn less and to have less benefits. So Wisconsin enjoy what you had and what the GOP will soon give you.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,064,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Interactive: Comparing wages between states with and without right-to-work laws

Read more: Interactive: Comparing wages between states with and without right-to-work laws : Wsj
Considering that the COL is what a lot of your pay is based off...how can this even be correct...

Are you really going to compare the cost of living in Alabama to that of California?

And I love the last sentence:

Quote:
The figures below do not take into account other variables that could also affect wages, including pension and health benefits, level of education, gender or race/ethnicity of those employed.
So what really does this provide?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,844,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The GOP has controlled the agenda for over a decade. Its their inabilty to get any thing of value done is what is hurting the state. Their idea of NAFTA has hurt NC with jobs going away and the Future TPP, which the GOP wants to support, will destroy more jobs.

No Right to work means the right to earn less and to have less benefits. So Wisconsin enjoy what you had and what the GOP will soon give you.
Who do you think pays for it? Good if unions get to keep their money but bad if those that pay for it don't get to keep their money? Why is it greed to keep your own money and not greed for others to take it?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
Right to work also means Republicans take workers to the cleaners. This means that all workers will eventually have the right to work for barely subsistence wages and eventually "owe their souls to the company store".

I wonder why the states with the strongest support of unions and labor rights are the most prosperous? Maybe because there are more wages available to sustain the local economy instead of stockholders in Europe, Japan or Korea?

This bill is a major step in the wrong direction for the people of Wisconsin. I hope they soon realize that and fire the Republicans in their Legislature and the governor as well.

SOLIDARNASH! SOLIDARITY! FIGHT FOR THE UNION! IT'S YOUR FUTURE!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,844,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Right to work also means Republicans take workers to the cleaners. This means that all workers will eventually have the right to work for barely subsistence wages and eventually "owe their souls to the company store".

I wonder why the states with the strongest support of unions and labor rights are the most prosperous? Maybe because there are more wages available to sustain the local economy instead of stockholders in Europe, Japan or Korea?

This bill is a major step in the wrong direction for the people of Wisconsin. I hope they soon realize that and fire the Republicans in their Legislature and the governor as well.

SOLIDARNASH! SOLIDARITY! FIGHT FOR THE UNION! IT'S YOUR FUTURE!
All that does is put more money into 1 sector instead of another. Explain to me how me how spending $100 because of higher wages for job x makes a state more prosperous than me spending $80 on the same job x and then spending $20 elsewhere?

The union isn't the future for anyone not in that union. When you take away competitive pricing efficiency suffers.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:15 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,619,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Considering that the COL is what a lot of your pay is based off...how can this even be correct...

Are you really going to compare the cost of living in Alabama to that of California?
Any argument trying to prove that certain states are just 'poor' states by only comparing average income, while completely disregarding the COL, is ignoring a massive piece of the puzzle. The COL completely changes things.

Four of the five states with the highest average disposable income, adjusted for COL, are right-to-work states. Every state in the 'poor' South (aside from SC) is better off than California or Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.