Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 12:25 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Of course it does. The difference is that in a non-union workplace, the boss can fire those folks. As opposed to say, teachers that are unfit to be in the classroom, but cannot be fired. So they're paid to sit and do nothing.
Which continues to happen....

Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I thought that leftists supported the right to choose. Apparently not.
They do.

You have the right to choose the choices they make for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
In other words, you admit that you were lying when you claimed that you could be forced to join a union.
We're still waiting patiently for you to show us this law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And once again, it's against the law for unions to send union dues to political campaigns.
It still happens.

It's against the law to launder money, but Unions have been laundering money for organized crime, criminals and politicians since the 1940s.

"Premiums paid by an employer on policies of group life insurance without cash surrender value covering the lives of his employees, or on policies of group health or accident insurance...do not constitute salary if such premiums are deductible by the employer under Section 23(a) of the IRS Code."

Source: Public Law 83-591, August 16, 1954; Internal Revenue Code of 1954, Section 106. For more information see the 1986 Internal Revenue Code.

That law sought by the American Hospital Association and also unions reduces insurance company profits.

It also eliminates your profits.

Prior to that law, you got paid back every single dime you paid in monthly insurance premiums.

How can the American Hospital Association's Blue Cross possibly compete against that?

Well, they couldn't, which is why they lobbied to shut it down.

Blue Cross insurance was not insurance, rather it was pay-as-you-go fee-for-service using the Community Rating Scheme.

The Blue Cross could never pay back your premiums.

But private insurance could....and did.

The other issue is money-laundering.

Organized Crime controls Unions to launder money through a variety of slush funds and legitimate programs such as union dues, pension plans and health plans.

The American Hospital Association lobbied States for "enabling laws" that allowed the Blue Cross to skirt and avoid any form of auditing or monitoring or over-sight by State insurance commissioners or regulators.

Money cannot be laundered through insurance companies, since insurance companies are regulatory audited and monitored by one or more State agencies.

You must be really proud of your blood money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The right to choose is there. Take advantage of it if you think it's wrong and immoral to work with a union by choosing to work in a non-unionized workplace.
I will work in a union work-place as a non-union employee if I wanna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm afraid you just don't know what you're talking about. Federal law prohibits any provision requiring a worker to join a union as a condition of employment.

Still still waiting for the CFR.

Are you going to deliver, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
As you age and stay on your job you will be wishing for that Seniority.
Seniority is for Losers and Mustache Pete's.

What I'm hearing you say is is, "I'm a totally freaking useless Mustache Pete and the only way I can keep my job is by lording over younger better more intelligent workers who are more productive than me by using some silly arbitrary concept like Seniority."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No it does not. Those workers can still ask for better conditions and earnings. They just can't hold the company hostage in order to gain their often unreasonable requests. I don't support extortion, which is what unions advocate.
They can employ social media to explain their plight.

Quote:
Right to work= the employer does not need to offer fair wages or benefits.
You don't even know what "fair wages or benefits" are, and you will certainly refuse at every given opportunity to objectively define "fair wage or benefits" in no uncertain terms.

Quote:
Enjoy the job search. You and your co-workers have no ability to get MGT to even listen.
Wow.

I want a job that pays what I say it should pay and run the company without having to risk even one penny of my money.

Just wow.

What selfish arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Exactly. It's a total and complete race to the bottom, and many average working class people cheer it on.
Never mind that you cheated by committing murder to get to the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Meanwhile the corporatists are laughing all the way to the bank at their expense.
Only 3% of US businesses are publicly traded corporations.

Thanks for making us aware of your bigotry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Well said my friend. Alabama and Mississippi have the poorest people in the United States.
I'll now demonstrate the low level of intellect of union supporters.

You can choose between a job in White Plains, New Jersey for $100,000 or the exact same job in Cincinnati, Ohio for $58,000.

Which job pays more?

An IT job in Tupelo, Mississippi for $50,000 or the same job in Norwalk, Connecticut for $81,000.

Which job pays more?

Spoiler

Cincinnati, Ohio for $58,000.
Tupelo, Mississippi for $50,000

See?

Spoiling...

Mircea

Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 PM

5,356 posts, read 5,134,067 times
It seems to me like the cause of individual workers bargaining is still an important one to further, but unions may not be the best vehicle to do it with anymore. Unions are like corporations, powerful tools when used right, dangerous ones when used wrong. Some unions are successful and well liked, for instance there is an electricians union around the CO Springs area that is pretty well liked by managers and employees, but its not the traditional union model.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Congratulations to Wisconsin and it's workers, welcome to freedom and the ability to flip off the labor union trash that has negatively affected your lives for decades.
The union hasn't negatively affected our lives. In fact, it's just the opposite. We have never had better health insurance. And that should be the number one priority when anyone is looking for a job. You can flip off unions if you want but I don't know why you would. Is this because they donate to the democrats

Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I thought that leftists supported the right to choose. Apparently not.
No one is forcing you to work for a union. It's your choice. If you don't want a union job then don't take it....very simple.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The union hasn't negatively affected our lives. In fact, it's just the opposite. We have never had better health insurance. And that should be the number one priority when anyone is looking for a job. You can flip off unions if you want but I don't know why you would. Is this because they donate to the democrats
YES! In my state, when Republicans took control of state government, one of the first things they did was to undo what Democrats did and so ban city workers from forming unions, unless they were fire and police workers. Was that fair? NO! But Republicans were happy, since firemen and police in Oklahoma are more likely to donate to Republicans than Democrats.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-11-2015 at 12:47 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No one is forcing you to work for a union. It's your choice. If you don't want a union job then don't take it....very simple.
Right, and it should be quite an easy choice to come to as rare as union jobs are.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:06 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
The Right to work laws supported by the GOP are the right to earn less. You will see lower earnings and less benefits.
Your ability to have seniority matter, will be gone.
You will see loss of job due to higher earners being replaced by people who will work for less. Some of our younger CDers do not like the idea that in some fields seniority matters. Wait 20 years or so and the change shall come.

Yes Right to work is not good for the employee as it takes away leverage, one of the parts of any contract either between a group (union) or individual.
The GOP is proven to be against the individual again.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:25 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
The Right to work laws supported by the GOP are the right to earn less. You will see lower earnings and less benefits.
Your ability to have seniority matter, will be gone.
You will see loss of job due to higher earners being replaced by people who will work for less. Some of our younger CDers do not like the idea that in some fields seniority matters. Wait 20 years or so and the change shall come.

Yes Right to work is not good for the employee as it takes away leverage, one of the parts of any contract either between a group (union) or individual.
The GOP is proven to be against the individual again.
Depending on the position, I would rather have a gung ho kid than a POS I cannot fire....

I've asked for that data before, you have not provided it.

With seniority comes knowledge, why do you have to be part of a union, for your boss to understand that?

With seniority in a union, you can be a POS, and nobody can do anything to you, period end of story...Look at the teacher in NY (union) sexual assault on kids, assaults on kids...Why do you support that?

Quote:
Because their union contract makes it extremely difficult to fire them, the teachers have been banished by the school system to its "rubber rooms" — off-campus office space where they wait months, even years, for their disciplinary hearings.
Quote:
"You just basically sit there for eight hours," said Orlando Ramos, who spent seven months in a rubber room, officially known as a temporary reassignment center, in 2004-05. "I saw several near-fights. `This is my seat.' `I've been sitting here for six months.' That sort of thing."

Quote:
Because the teachers collect their full salaries of $70,000 or more, the city Department of Education estimates the practice costs the taxpayers $65 million a year. The department blames union rules.
700 NYC teachers paid to do nothing - US news - Education | NBC News

Quote:
NEW YORK — Hundreds of New York City public school teachers accused of offenses ranging from insubordination to sexual misconduct are being paid their full salaries to sit around all day playing Scrabble, surfing the Internet or just staring at the wall, if that's what they want to do.
New York Teachers Paid To Do Nothing: 700 Of Them

Here is what pro union people support, kid abuse, sexual abuse (towards kids), and the list goes on....

How can you support that? Amazing...

Old 03-11-2015, 06:33 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
What is funny is that in basically no RTW states have such laws been shown to result in higher wages or standards of living...I guess "right to work" supporters think Wisconsin will somehow magically end up differently, though. Maybe they think Governor Walker is a wizard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies