Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:39 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I saw that in the Sci fi channel along with ice tornados and killer bees.
Do you really not know what the polar vortex is? It's nothing mysterious.

Arctic Change: Climate Indicators - Stratospheric Air Temperatures

What is a Polar Vortex?

Old 02-28-2015, 04:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Whoa...Most people have accepted the fact that the earth is warming, but argue the cause....You are a true blue denier.

I just stated there have always been changes, and they are natural. I also note that if one plots the data from NOAA over the last two million years it's a noticeable downward trend, with intermediate periods HOTTER and COLDER than today. I suggest you've hinged your religion on 30 years out of 4 billion. Hardly scientific.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Of course one would only worry if one had concern for future generations....Climate change will not affect you or I to any great extent.
Funny ...global warming is the only time you hear liberals have concern for future generations, otherwise it is all about what is the government doing for Me Right Now!!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
I'm all for global warming. Melt the ice in the north pole , invade and conquer it, Plant the US flag and drill those billions of barrels of oil for our future generations.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:41 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's ironic that denialists can't see a conspiracy when free enterprise is trying to protect it's pocketbook but by gawd they can smell it out when those evil scientists are trying to fleece the gubmint for grant money.

Everything is up for grabs when you have a central government that is corrupt to its core and large enough to escape accountability.

Yes, that big pile of money the federal government continually collects has been noticed by people who would like to conspire with the collectors of that big pile of money to take some of it.

The CAGW scam is just one of many stratagems by which the big pile of money collected by the federal government could be accessed by anyone in a position to work cooperatively with our corrupt federal government, but this is a symptom and not the actual disease.

Rather than play whack-a-mole with clever self-serving leftists and a government for hire, the plan going forward should be to reduce the size of the federal government`s big pile of money so that it is less of a target for opportunists and reduce the size and influence of the federal government in hope of returning it to a position of accountability to the voters.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I just stated there have always been changes, and they are natural. I also note that if one plots the data from NOAA over the last two million years it's a noticeable downward trend, with intermediate periods HOTTER and COLDER than today. I suggest you've hinged your religion on 30 years out of 4 billion. Hardly scientific.
So what do you think has been causing the recent increase in warming, especially that of at least the last 50 years?

The sun? The sun has not increased it's activity in the last 50 years, in fact it's the opposite.

Changes in solar insolation due to the orbital forcings of the Milankovitch cycles? (100,000-year cycle due to changes in the orbit's eccentricity; 41,000-year cycle related to shifts in the inclination of the Earth's axis, 19,000 to 23,000-year cycles- precession of the equinoxes). No, they are far too slow and we're not in a phase that should be causing warming, in fact it's the opposite.

Volcanoes? Nope, the aerosols from volcanoes have been having a minor cooling effect.

So what natural causes are you referring to? The climate hasn't just changed by magic. There is always a cause (forcings).

Is there some reason you think that more CO2 in the atmosphere would NOT cause the earth to warm? Considering that past climate changes have shown that that is exactly what happens, only more slowly over a much longer period of time?

I suggest you've hinged your views on a lack of knowledge of the science. Hardly scientific.

Last edited by Ceist; 02-28-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
First, all temperature anomoly data is pegged to the 30 years between 1950-1980.
That's incorrect.

HadCRUT use the base period 1961 to 1990.
UAH and RSS use 1979 to 1998.
GISS use 1951 to 1980.
NOAA use 1971 to 2000.

Quote:
Second, nobody can say what the temperature should be.
If humans had never existed, the global average temperature would probably be about .7 or .8 degrees C lower than it currently is (possibly lower as human activities have also added aerosols into the atmosphere which have a cooling effect). And CO2 levels would probably be around 250ppm and decreasing slowly due to the natural carbon cycle.

The present level of 400ppm C02 in Earth's atmosphere is the highest in the last 800,000 years and most likely the highest in the past 20 million years.

Coupling of CO2 and Ice Sheet Stability Over Major Climate Transitions of the Last 20 Million Years

Quote:
And finally, we are still in a cooling trend over the last few million years. There are lots of intermediate heating and cooling cycles, which nobody disputes. Natural variability is perfectly normal for a planet.
Its because scientists understand the effects of those cycles, that they know that those cycles are NOT what has been causing the recent warming, and that it's not just 'natural variability'.

Past Climate Cycles: Ice Age Speculations

The Modern Temperature Trend

American Institute of Physics - Prof Spencer Weart.

Last edited by Ceist; 02-28-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:
In early 1998, some of the biggest fossil fuel companies in the world were hatching a plan to hijack the science of human-caused global warming......In a memo the plan boldly declared its goal would be to convince “a majority of the American public” that “significant uncertainties exist in climate science”.

What happened to the lobbyists who tried to reshape the US view of climate change? | Environment | The Guardian
Utter nonsense.

When I was confronted with the AGW agenda neighborhood 2004, the first thing I did is assign my research assistance Google to learn about the contributing factors for climate change, and for ckimate history. I dont recall reading ANY corporate websites.

Which is why it irritates me to no end that folks like you immediately dismiss any opposition as in thrall to the oil industry.

So I know what greenhouse gasses are and what they contribute.

I was utterly amazed when the AGW crowd hijacked the term climate change.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Means someone pays more than you ergo you are not paying your fair share thus someone is paying your share meaning you are using OPM.

Nice try.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Funny ...global warming is the only time you hear liberals have concern for future generations, otherwise it is all about what is the government doing for Me Right Now!!
Actually it is the right who has the selfish "me first" attitude....I have kids, grandkids and great grandkids, and it is their future I'm concerned with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies