Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
To those who say that the state should not interfere with marriage and it is a matter of individual freedom, I invite them to think about divorce. Doesn't the State interfere with that process ? Or are the spouses left to handle their business themselves ? The State is involved in your divorce just like it is involved in your marriage, it has that power to regulate how things are going to be happening and you have very little say. Marriage is a completely separate issue from individual freedom, because individual rights are just that, individual. If you want to establish a legal bond with somebody it is not individual anymore, it is social and the State does have the absolute right to regulate the way social interaction happens. You cannot solicit the services of a prostitute despite the fact that you are two consenting adults, this will land you in jail and none of your civil rights will be violated.

The basis upon which the law is founded in this country is, like it or not, judeo-christian morals. These morals dictate that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. This has nothing to do with being a theocracy, judeo-christian morals are the cornerstone of western civilization and the historic guideline for western laws and this is coming from a non-christian.

When our laws depart more and more from the set of morals which allowed our society to exist in the first place, it is not progress, it is going backwards. I understand most of the LGBT people have a hatred for all things conservative because they are at odds with society as a whole. However agreeing to spread their fallacies in the name of "tolerance" will only redefine what we are as a nation, what we are as humans. Every human being is sexual in nature, artificially redefining the ways in which this sexuality is expressed goes against the interest of humanity which is to reproduce and perpetuate our species, and prevents individuals from living a balanced life with a person of the opposite gender.

Since families are the cornerstone of society, the social, psychological and societal consequences of homosexuality are immense and obvious.

This change (homosexual marriage) is yet another step in the transformation of traditional societies and this change is not for the best. When a different set of values are replacing the traditional ones, the traditional country you knew does not exist anymore, it is being deconstructed one step at a time.
So many fallacies in this post, it's ridiculous.

There's a reason you have the rep you do...

Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
So many fallacies in this post, it's ridiculous.

There's a reason you have the rep you do...
Here we go with the usual round of personal attacks when no logical arguments can be opposed.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Here we go with the usual round of personal attacks when no logical arguments can be opposed.
You did not present a logical argument. Your very fist sentence is off base, and it grows from there.

It is not a matter of the state interfering with marriage. It is a matter of equal rights not being available to all.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
I just opposed your post.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
The Alabama Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered probate judges in the state to stop issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

Alabama Supreme Court Blocks Same-Sex Marriage

Right decision. Finally! My stance is that same sex marriage is morally wrong and should be illegal. Granting same-sex couples a license to marry will not create true marriage. Neither two men nor two women can become one flesh.
So how does it harm you if Mike and Dave, two strangers, get married? Are they forcing you to go to their wedding?

Will any homophobe ever be able to answer this?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:35 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You did not present a logical argument. Your very fist sentence is off base, and it grows from there.

It is not a matter of the state interfering with marriage. It is a matter of equal rights not being available to all.
My first sentence is dead on topic.

If you say that equal rights are not available to all, you right there recognize that the State interferes with your right to get married.

However, the State can regulate marriage. Homosexual marriage has nothing to do with interracial marriage. Bans on interracial marriage prevented men and women to marry, when marriage IS a union between a man and a woman. When two people of the same sex want to marry, it is a different issue altogether. Being black or white is a biological fact. Being homosexual is not.

When LGBT supporters make the statement that homosexuality is innate, the burden of proof lies on them. We have to assume their statement is false until proven otherwise. Homosexuality is a deviant behavior in the literal sense (and not all behaviors should be tolerated), and society traditionally understands behaviors as being the result of choices, because this is what is apparent. If someone wants to challenge that, they need to make their case.

I would also like them to explain if bisexuality, asexuality, and pedophilia, who are all sexual preferences, are also innate.

Heterosexuality, while also a behavior makes biological sense and is in accordance with one of the fundamental goals of biological life which is to perpetuate the species.

If homosexuality was in fact determined genetically, this would classify it as a genetic abnormality since what it causes prevents the affected individual from exhibiting a behavior that will enable him/her to reproduce, making it akin to a congenital condition.

One of the biggest arguments against these theories is the fact that if the gay genes did exist, it would have excluded itself out of the gene pool a long time ago by now or at least would have rarefied. Instead, we see more and more individuals coming out as gay. We can also look at cultures where homosexuality is or was prevalent : ancient Greece, and modern day Afghanistan* (close to 50% or so I read, this probably comes as a shocker to most). The fact that homosexuality was/is widely spread in these cultures is a strong indicator that a cultural factor is at play.

By claiming homosexuality is innate, they are trying to draw an invalid parallel between sexual orientation and "race". For example, they will compare the laws against interracial marriage in the 60's, to bans against gay marriage when the two cannot be compared. Marriage has always been the union of a man and a woman, racial laws were overturned because they prevented a man and a woman to marry without valid justification.

Homosexuals do have a natural right to marry the person of their choice, someone of a different gender that is. What is not natural, is changing the definition of marriage for everybody, by forcing their twisted views on us.

What is ironic is that they will tell you that homosexuality is innate, and at the same time tell you with a straight face that gender is not.

This topic should not even be political. It is a matter of common sense.

Goodbye now.

*This has been known for quite some time. There are several articles on the subject. Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

Old 03-05-2015, 03:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Lol @ tradition being used as an argument against gay marriage.

It used to be 'tradition' to own slaves, too (it's even in the Bible, which according to some of you, is the basis for US laws...). Should that tradition have been kept?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:

Goodbye now.
It is anything but common sense & has everything to do with religion & politics.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:40 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
My first sentence is dead on topic.

If you say that equal rights are not available to all, you right there recognize that the State interferes with your right to get married.

However, the State can regulate marriage. Homosexual marriage has nothing to do with interracial marriage. Bans on interracial marriage prevented men and women to marry, when marriage IS a union between a man and a woman. When two people of the same sex want to marry, it is a different issue altogether. Being black or white is a biological fact. Being homosexual is not.

When LGBT supporters make the statement that homosexuality is innate, the burden of proof lies on them. We have to assume their statement is false until proven otherwise. Homosexuality is a deviant behavior in the literal sense (and not all behaviors should be tolerated), and society traditionally perceive behaviors as being the result of choices, because this is what is apparent. If someone wants to challenge that, they need to make their case.

I would also like them to explain if bisexuality, asexuality, and pedophilia, who are all sexual preferences, are also innate.

Heterosexuality, while also a behavior makes biological sense and is in accordance with one of the fundamental goals of biological life which is to perpetuate the species.

If homosexuality was in fact determined genetically, this would classify it as a genetic abnormality since what it causes prevents the affected individual from exhibiting a behavior that will enable him/her to reproduce, making it akin to a congenital condition.

One of the biggest arguments against these theories is the fact that if the gay genes did exist, it would have excluded itself out of the gene pool a long time ago by now or at least would have rarefied. Instead, we see more and more individuals coming out as gay. We can also look at cultures where homosexuality is or was prevalent : ancient Greece, and modern day Afghanistan* (close to 50% or so I read, this probably comes as a shocker to most). The fact that homosexuality was/is widely spread in these cultures is a strong indicator that a cultural factor is at play.

The anecdotes I provided are anything but isolated, these stories abound but do not fit the dominant narrative in the liberal media.I have nothing against liberals, but I disagree with them on this particular topic.

By claiming homosexuality is innate, they are trying to draw an invalid parallel between sexual orientation and "race". For example, they will compare the laws against interracial marriage in the 60's, to bans against gay marriage when the two cannot be compared. Marriage has always been the union of a man and a woman, racial laws were overturned because they prevented a man and a woman to marry without valid justification.

Homosexuals do have a natural right to marry, someone of a different gender that is. What is not natural, is changing the definition of marriage for everybody, by forcing their twisted views on us.

What is ironic is that they will tell you that homosexuality is innate, and at the same time tell you with a straight face that gender is not.

Goodbye now.

*This has been known for quite some time. There are several articles on the subject. Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

Circular blah blah blah.

None of this matters in the least. The question is whether or not the majority should have the power to deny equal rights to the minority. The answer is no.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:55 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I live in Alabama. It's exactly what most of you think it is.
Yep. I'm about a state and a half north of you, but one of the first things I learned when I moved down here 3 years ago is that for every one of those stereotypes about the south, there's a reason for it. Every single one of them.

I'm going to get a real kick out of watching the federal government - once again - drag Alabama by the ear into the 21st Century. This is gonna be funnier than hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies