Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
A thread this ridiculous...
There I fixed it. I don't think this thread belongs anywhere except maybe the humor forum if there is one.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:47 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Has anyone besides me noticed how loony a fringe element of the right wing has gotten since Obama became President? For years, we heard all that BS about how Obama was born in another country. Than they produced his birth certificate and put an end to that crap...Than there is the rumor that he's a Muslim. I keep hearing that one.

I understand since he became President that sales of guns and ammunition have gone way up. There's a certain mindset among some of the paranoid crowd that they should dig a bomb shelter and sit on top of their year's supply of food with an assault rifle.

Something about this country seems to breed nuts.
The uber-paranoia was around long before Harper's observed it way back in 1964.

Quote:
American politics has often been an arena for angry minds. In recent years we have seen angry minds at work mainly among extreme right-wingers, who have now demonstrated in the Goldwater movement how much political leverage can be got out of the animosities and passions of a small minority. But behind this I believe there is a style of mind that is far from new and that is not necessarily right-wing. I call it the paranoid style simply because no other word adequately evokes the sense of heated exaggeration, suspiciousness, and conspiratorial fantasy that I have in mind. In using the expression “paranoid style” I am not speaking in a clinical sense, but borrowing a clinical term for other purposes. I have neither the competence nor the desire to classify any figures of the past or present as certifiable lunatics. In fact, the idea of the paranoid style as a force in politics would have little contemporary relevance or historical value if it were applied only to men with profoundly disturbed minds. It is the use of paranoid modes of expression by more or less normal people that makes the phenomenon significant.
The Paranoid Style in American Politics | Harper's Magazine

And half a century after that observation, it's still going strong in all its frothing-at-the-mouth glory.

On a side note, there was plenty of hysterical "OMG, WILL OBAMA CANCEL THE 2012 ELECTIONS, 'CAUSE YOU KNOW HE CAN'T WIN!!!!????" angst three and four years ago floating around the internet. It seems the usual suspects are perpetually unable to learn any lessons at all from how they are utterly wrong on such a consistent basis.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams12 View Post
Will Obama Leave Office in 2017?
The last time I checked, he doesn't have a choice.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Obama left office in November 2013.

He is completely irrelevant now as the voters saw to that in the last election. Nobody on the world stage pays much attention to him now, and he will never get another piece of legislation passed through the congress. Furthermore the courts are declaring his "executive actions" as unconstitutional and halting them. He is left with race hucksterism and raising money for the DNC. (as demonstrated this past week)

He is the lamest of lame ducks. So Obama will pack his bags and move out at the end of 2016. He has gotten his so the rest doesn't matter to him. Like the Clintons, he will make tons of money speaking and producing books.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
No president is allowed to serve more than two terms.
Barack Obama is 'president'??? I thought I heard that he was crowned monarch and can do anything he wants. Heck, he's doing whatever he wants now, so I just thought.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Laura Bush took 5 trips to Africa during her husband's second administration.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...ticle-1.130174

And George Bush took well over twice as many vacations days as Obama.

Compared to past presidents, Obama takes few vacations - CBS News

It's hard to see how this is anything but manufactured outrage with no basis in facts.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Obama left office in November 2013.

He is completely irrelevant now as the voters saw to that in the last election. Nobody on the world stage pays much attention to him now, and he will never get another piece of legislation passed through the congress. Furthermore the courts are declaring his "executive actions" as unconstitutional and halting them. He is left with race hucksterism and raising money for the DNC. (as demonstrated this past week)

He is the lamest of lame ducks. So Obama will pack his bags and move out at the end of 2016. He has gotten his so the rest doesn't matter to him. Like the Clintons, he will make tons of money speaking and producing books.
Do you mean November 2014?

Actually, it would be January 2015 because the republicans did not take control of both houses of Congress until than.

Actually, most modern presidents have had to deal with a Congress controlled by the opposing political party their last two years in office. Let me give some examples: Richard Nixon (actually had a democrat Congress all the years he was in office); Gerald Ford (same thing); Jimmy Carter (always had a democrat Congress until he was defeated); Ronald Reagan (democrat controlled Congress last two years); George H.W. Bush (democrat controlled House and Senate all four years of his presidency); Bill Clinton (Republican controlled House and Senate for 6 of 8 years of his presidency); and George W. Bush (Democrat controlled House and Senate last two years of his presidency)

No, Obama fits the usual pattern and does it to a tee.

Anyway, look at the good side of it. Obama only has 22 months and ten days left as President. Even you ought to be able to last until President Clinton takes office

Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Do you mean November 2014?.
You are quite correct. I made a typo.

As for your comparison fallacy used to give Obama a pass. I disagree. History will remember him as the first mulatto president. Beyond that, there is nothing of note that's going to last.

As far as Hilarious becoming President in 2016, I'm very doubtful that will happen.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Laura Bush took 5 trips to Africa during her husband's second administration.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...ticle-1.130174

And George Bush took well over twice as many vacations days as Obama.

Compared to past presidents, Obama takes few vacations - CBS News

It's hard to see how this is anything but manufactured outrage with no basis in facts.
I just to want to make the comment that I'm glad George W. Bush took so many vacation days. It was the days he was actually working that I feared for this country.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
President Obama can't just ignore the constitutional amendments.
Why not? Seriously. Why can't he just sign an executive order suspending the 22nd Amendment? What would Congress do about it? They don't dare impeach him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies