Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:52 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree, but I believe the problem goes back a long ways prior to either. When I was in high school in the late '60s I had a classmate whose uncle owned orange groves in AZ, every year at harvest time it seems the border became conveniently easy for illegals to cross and go pick the crop. And can anyone deny there haven't been many businesses that have profited greatly from cheap, illegal labor?

Our immigration policies have been inanely inconsistent for years, you need lonely look at the 'feet dry/feet wet' policy towards Cubans to know that.
We have unlimited H-2A Visas for legal, foreigner crop pickers. So there is no excuse to hire illegal aliens for that job except for pure greed of paying them less. Of course businesses have profited from breaking the law by hiring cheap, illegal labor while giving the American worker the shaft and passing their social costs on to us. That's a good thing?

I oppose "wet foot, dry foot". It needs to stop but that doesn't justify illegal immigration from somewhere else. Cubans come here on an asylum basis (still don't agree with it though). It is a lawful way to come here. Coming here for economic reasons illegally is not a valid, lawful reason. See the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Not looking for any back and forth political mud slinging. Just some insight on why Obama is so soft on illegal immigration and his justification for it.
Same reason Reagan and the Bushes gave when they made the same moves.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The most reliable estimates of natives in North America, not just the U.S., are between 8 and 18 million. In the U.S. territory it might have been as low as 2-3 million.
I've yet to see a source that gives numbers that low, and that's by a significant amount. Frankly, the lowest number I've yet to see besides yours is 10 million who were killed in the US (or should I say, by the US). And 10 million is frankly the lowest number I can give and still feel like I walk away with any intellectual integrity.

And even if your numbers are true, which again, I've yet to see a source that validates such low numbers, that's still equal to the population of Mississippi alone (which is why I think your numbers are BS). That's a lot of people who were killed for absolutely no reason at all.

It's not an opinion; it's a fact: the Native American genocide was the absolute largest genocide of a single group of people that's ever happened. Because even if your numbers are true (which again, they're clearly not), think about what happens when you add South America into that. In central Mexico alone there were brought 25 million people, and the Aztec empire was not the only large empire to exist south of Texas.

I find it petty that we still sit around and make excuses for it. Germany owns up to what they did. I thought America was supposed to be a great nation. Why can't we own up to our mistakes and do our best to make them right?

and the answer is that we don't care because we're the same people we were 400 years ago. We just have to pretend we're not.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
IRS sending free checks to lawbreaker aliens.
Washington Times: IRS defends paying refunds to illegals who never filed taxes - Washington Times

Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
then please provide those links that are relevant to these numbers.
If you read through this thread (which you should have done before commenting, IMO) you would have noticed this link I posted---which I'm going to post for you right now once again (you're welcome!) Read the 5th paragraph:

Obama's deportation record: inside the numbers - CNN.com

Besides, even if deportations under Obama are up (which they are not), what good is it when he dictated DACA and is now trying to dictate yet another amnesty?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

And yes, every country in the world has faced some form of conquest. No one is denying that. But here you are trying to suggest that the Native Americans were so uncivilized, despite all evidence suggesting the opposite (but evidence is tricky right), that you feel the need to say 'well they fought each other too.' So what? Who wasn't fighting each other? Europeans killed more people than anyone on the planet. They were the real savages, and anyone with an ounce of integrity would be able to recognize that.
Listen up.

Did you know that some Indian tribes were cannibals? Read up on the Arawaks.

I have Native American Indian Ancestors (who, quite possibly were Arawaks). I also have ancestors who were brought here on slave ships. And some were Europeans, too.

I do know this---without these ancestors I wouldn't be here today.

What happened in the past is, indeed, sad. However, none of us can change the past.

Again, do arrange for a world tour so that you can visit the graves of the conquerors. That way, you can yell at them. You seem angry. Such a trip, I imagine, would be cathartic for you.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you read through this thread (which you should have done before commenting, IMO) you would have noticed this link I posted---which I'm going to post for you right now once again (you're welcome!) Read the 5th paragraph:

Besides, even if deportations under Obama are up (which they are not), what good is it when he dictated DACA and is now trying to dictate yet another amnesty?
Exactly, it is curious how these people want to brag about Obama's supposedly high deportation numbers yet they totally want to ignore that he already passed DACA and now this stay of deportation for 5 freaking million illegal aliens all without approval of congress no less. I would be ashamed and embarrassed to brag about his deportation numbers after he pulled those two things.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM

Those Europeans of the past are all dead now so what has that to do with those of us alive today? My European ancestors didn't even come here till well after the U.S. was an established country and well after any confrontations with the so-called natives. They must have sprouted up out of the ground like corn to be native, right?

Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 PM

26,581 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

i did read it and already addressed the fact that even without including "border removals" ( 17% of deportations ) the number of deportations is still up.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i did read it and already addressed the fact that even without including "border removals" ( 17% of deportations ) the number of deportations is still up.
Even if deportations are "UP", it's irrelevant---especially when Obama is telling ICE not to deport convicted illegal alien criminals, dictating DACA and attempting to once again dictate an amnesty to those who birth anchor babies.

You can believe that he is doing all these deportations if you want. Get in touch with me, I have some oceanfront property in AZ to sell to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies