Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was America a more moral country in 1967
more moral in '67 49 41.18%
more moral today 38 31.93%
equal in morality 32 26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
so 43.91% of the voters are pure evil
and much of the other voters were also evil

they knew what was happening and did nothing, we even knew in America what was happening

never say that the Germans didn't know!
Whatever, I think saying they were pure evil is absurd and completely eliminates the gravity of the phrase 'pure evil' but it does not good to discuss it, at least not here.

I want to know the your answer the question I've now asked twice. Do you have an answer or not? Is the morality of a nation determined by the state or the people?

So, to compare to a better country: USSR. Stalin committed mass atrocities, but his people weren't to blame since they didn't elect him and realistically had no concrete way of fighting him effectively. So, were the people of the Soviet Union immoral because of the actions of the state or can the state be given leeway because the people weren't in the wrong?

I look forward to you ignoring the question since I did not bring up the Nazis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 08:25 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Whatever, I think saying they were pure evil is absurd and completely eliminates the gravity of the phrase 'pure evil' but it does not good to discuss it, at least not here.

I want to know the your answer the question I've now asked twice. Do you have an answer or not? Is the morality of a nation determined by the state or the people?

So, to compare to a better country: USSR. Stalin committed mass atrocities, but his people weren't to blame since they didn't elect him and realistically had no concrete way of fighting him effectively. So, were the people of the Soviet Union immoral because of the actions of the state or can the state be given leeway because the people weren't in the wrong?

I look forward to you ignoring the question since I did not bring up the Nazis.
I'm referring to the people, however when the actions of the state are due to the people (through action or inaction) they go after the people.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
both
Alright then, let's go deeper.

Is it based on a tally system? Like, every act of decency committed by the people of nation is one point, and every genocide or failed foreign policy stunt is a point against?

Simply saying both doesn't really explain the logic you wish to use. The US elects politicians who anyone with any sense knows are not in it for anyone but themselves. Does this make the US immoral or because people in the midwest commonly hold doors open for one another, it's canceled out?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Alright then, let's go deeper.

Is it based on a tally system? Like, every act of decency committed by the people of nation is one point, and every genocide or failed foreign policy stunt is a point against?

Simply saying both doesn't really explain the logic you wish to use. The US elects politicians who anyone with any sense knows are not in it for anyone but themselves. Does this make the US immoral or because people in the midwest commonly hold doors open for one another, it's canceled out?
imeadiatly after posting I edited my comment to explain it

Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to the people, however when the actions of the state are due to the people (through action or inaction) they go after the people.
Ok, my post was premature I see.

So, are circumstances factored in? For example, the average Iraqi citizen may not be a huge fan of ISIS, but keeps their mouth shut because they'll have their head sliced off if they say anything. You can call that a lack of courage, but at the same time, you can't really blame someone for being put off by that situation. There are no good options there.

And of course ISIS, isn't technically a state, no matter how much they want to be, but I think you get my point.

And in the US, aren't all actions by the state technically done by the people since we're supposedly a government of the people for the people. I of course not that's BS, but not everyone is as cynical as I am. So, is the failure that is the Iraq War the fault of the American people because we let it happen by electing Bush (and I suppose Obama as well because he certainly didn't clean that mess up)?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Was America a more moral country in 1967
America has never been a moral country.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Ok, my post was premature I see.

So, are circumstances factored in? For example, the average Iraqi citizen may not be a huge fan of ISIS, but keeps their mouth shut because they'll have their head sliced off if they say anything. You can call that a lack of courage, but at the same time, you can't really blame someone for being put off by that situation. There are no good options there.

And of course ISIS, isn't technically a state, no matter how much they want to be, but I think you get my point.

And in the US, aren't all actions by the state technically done by the people since we're supposedly a government of the people for the people. I of course not that's BS, but not everyone is as cynical as I am. So, is the failure that is the Iraq War the fault of the American people because we let it happen by electing Bush (and I suppose Obama as well because he certainly didn't clean that mess up)?
circumstances should be factored in, but how much is for you to judge, because I believe we both know that what I know is immoral you think is commendable.

this question is as much a question of what would be considered subjective morality as it is a historical question.

If you feel that people who vote for politicians have no accountability for their actions then the politicians should be judged like everybody else.

This is a open ended question that is based on your view of morality and history (provided you have some understanding of the later). I can't answer your question for you of how much to judge because we have different views on way to many subjects.

as much as the people are accountable for the actions of the politicians is how much they should be judged, politicians should be judges like everybody else (as a individual).

Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
America has never been a moral country.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Was America a more moral country in 1967
The answer is yes, and even more so during the 1950's. Lets not forget the hippie generation of free love & dope started in the mid 60's, and that is when a lot of morals went out the window.

`

Old 03-02-2015, 09:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
If you think more murders, race riots, drug use = more moral than yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies