Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Which is why we need a balanced budget amendment and strict accounting rules for the government.
I used to believe that, and then I thought about things like, WWII, and periods of times where we actually need to run deficits. The problem is the creation of programs which cant be funded, those need to stop, but we do indeed need the ability to run deficits under situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not really true. Just because government isnt "doing" it, doesnt mean it doesnt need to be done..

For example, if government pickups trash in your area, and all of a sudden they stop, this doesnt make trash pickup disappear. This would just get contracted out to the private sector.
ok, one more time, we were not talking about the people that do the actual work, we are talking about the UPPER MANAGEMENT that needs to go after consolidating many departments that are duplicates of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why? Why are we cutting everything by 5%?
because 5% is a large enough cut to have an impact on spending, but not so large that it hurts those in need.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Yep, that's right. Cutting Federal Spending and "getting rid of immigrants (#2)" are the top priorities for conservatives.
I would support cutting federal spending by 50%. It's very easy to do.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
According to the CPAC poll.

Yep, that's right. Cutting Federal Spending and "getting rid of immigrants (#2)" are the top priorities for conservatives.

Nothing about economic growth, education, repairing our infrastructure, or health care?

I don't think "getting rid of immigrants" was one of the poll options.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

Nothing about economic growth, education, repairing our infrastructure, or health care?
What conservative wants to get rid of immigrants? None. They do want the ILLEGALS that are here to obey the law, and be kicked out.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I used to believe that, and then I thought about things like, WWII, and periods of times where we actually need to run deficits. The problem is the creation of programs which cant be funded, those need to stop, but we do indeed need the ability to run deficits under situations.
When I say I want freedom of speech, that doesn't mean I want people to be able to yell "fire" in a crowded theater or testify that they saw you steal money when they didn't. Nothing is absolute.

Of course there would be provisions to allow for deficit spending, but they would be very strict and also have stipulations on repayment when the crisis is over.

-----------------

Opinionated, I'm still waiting to hear from you why we should be taxing people and corporations.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Conservative #1 Priority is to Cut Federal Spending

Unless there's a GOP president. Then $6 trillion spent on losing wars in the middle east are a top priority.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

Reading comprehension of some on the left NEVER ceases to amaze.

"Conservatives say reducing federal spending should be the Republican-led Congress’s top priority this session, beating out confrontations with President Obama over his immigration executive actions"

Funny I don't see, "getting rid of immigrants"

In fact, PLEASE show where ANYBODY wants to "getting rid of immigrants"

Time after time we find many on the left posting articles then going wild and crazy over them only to find out all the whining and bi...ching they do is ALL for naught.

What they cry complain like little children about ISN'T even in their articles.

Maybe they should read their own articles before posting and making comments on them. It would save some embarrassment!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Cutting federal spending is such a nice broad, meaningless statement. Good government isn't the goal; efficient delivery of services isn't the goal. Nope, cutting spending is, as if it's a means to its own ends.
Since when is government efficient? Since when is the answer to spend, spend, spend? Especially since government does not spend money efficiently and is a disaster when hey manipulate the economy. Or did you forget about the housing boom/bust which put us in our worst economic condition since the great Depression?
Yea lets let our big bloated Federal government run things since they've done so well.

Bring the troops home and use that saved money to take care of entitlements. But those entitlements have to change or there will be nothing left for future generations.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ok, one more time, we were not talking about the people that do the actual work, we are talking about the UPPER MANAGEMENT that needs to go after consolidating many departments that are duplicates of each other.
If we get rid of "duplication", then this means we dont need to collect the tax revenues, and this money gets spent elsewhere in society, thus creating different jobs. Housing, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies