Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hillary was right or wrong?
I lean left - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 32 23.88%
I lean left - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 33 24.63%
I lean right - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 64 47.76%
I lean right - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 5 3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times

Advertisements

50 Shades of Sandy Berger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If they are not part of the federal registry, how does that happen exactly?

Seems to me there is something smelly going all the way around.
They are not part of the federal registry because unless they are sent to the registry, the government doesnt know they exist..

Just like you posting here, unless the government is archiving this website, they wouldnt have any way of knowing what you have to say on these threads.
Quote:
Even if she is on another server once she goes to access her email account, she will crossover to the governments network, because they are who hosts her account. The little dialogue box pops up, 'enter your password'.
No, they are not who hosts her account, THATS THE ISSUE..

She is hosting her own account on her own computers. The emails dont ever enter the governmental database system, unless she actually emails someone with a .gov email address.
Quote:
I don't know what this is about I saw briefly about her destroying email, but that's not happening. She may think she's getting rid of it, if that's what she is doing.
She admitted to destroying them. Now whats in question is were they personal emails or not. I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt, because I believe in innocent until proven guilty, but the fact that she used the same email address, means that in reality, all of the emails, personal or not, should go to some federal database.

The fact that she chose to not separate them, isnt really a concern for legal reasons.
Quote:
But nothing, not even these words I type here are ever gone. Not until some one pulls the plug on it and then there's back up to a huge super mainframe.
They are gone, unless they are archived somewhere. If the mods delete your comments, before some indexing spider sees this page, then there are no history of them out in cyberspace. They might be stored in the administrators database, and then indexed to not appear, but that doesnt put them out there for the world to see them.

Emails arent indexed by spiders, they dont get out into cyberspace unless someone posts them on the web. They do bounce around the internet world, and if one happens to hit your pc, before they find their final destination, then in theory, you could read the emails (security concerns), but now with personal firewalls etc, they are less and less becoming readable to the general public, and even if they were, you'd have one email, not all of them, which is worthless.

Last edited by pghquest; 03-10-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
How does the email get to the hard drive? Maybe they don't store to a cloud in auto back up, but email comes off of servers and even when you download them, they stay on the server. Even if you click that radio box that all email is to download. Just because you don't see the email on the server, doesn't mean it is not still there.
Emails go like this,.

Send an email to @city-data.com

and that email leaves your pc, goes out to the registration to find out where the email server is sitting, and sends that email from your computer, to that host pc. It does bounce around a little until it gets to the final destination, but once it hits that server IP, the email server goes out to the web and retrieves it.

All of this of course takes a blink of an eye.

Then that email is then placed into an email server database, which is supposed to be backed up by the federal government, if you have a .gov email address, but that was not done here.

When you delete that email, its removed from the database, and while in theory its technically on the hard drive, its only there until its replaced by other data, in this instance,other emails.

There are scrubbing programs that can be used, to wipe out space on a hard drive where this data used to be, which may or may not have been run, but if she wont give up the drive, then they cant be retrieved.

If they are on the server, and she wont give up the server, then it doesnt matter if they are there or not..

Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Hmmm

Hillary Flashback: I Have Two Phones - Breitbart

Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
50 Shades of Sandy Berger.
Good one

Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They are not part of the federal registry because unless they are sent to the registry, the government doesnt know they exist..

Just like you posting here, unless the government is archiving this website, they wouldnt have any way of knowing what you have to say on these threads.

She is hosting her own account on her own computers. The emails dont ever enter the governmental database system, unless she actually emails someone with a .gov email address.

She admitted to destroying them. Now whats in question is were they personal emails or not. I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt, because I believe in innocent until proven guilty, but the fact that she used the same email address, means that in reality, all of the emails, personal or not, should go to some federal database.

The fact that she chose to not separate them, isnt really a concern for legal reasons.

They are gone, unless they are archived somewhere. If the mods delete your comments, before some indexing spider sees this page, then there are no history of them out in cyberspace. They might be stored in the administrators database, and then indexed to not appear, but that doesnt put them out there for the world to see them.

Emails arent indexed by spiders, they dont get out into cyberspace unless someone posts them on the web. They do bounce around the internet world, and if one happens to hit your pc, before they find their final destination, then in theory, you could read the emails, but now with personal firewalls etc, they are less and less becoming readable to the general public, and even if they were, you'd have one email, not all of them, which is worthless.
Quote:
Then one should find out who failed to do their job? And how was she allowed to do it that way?

For the rest of this. What does the NSA do all day?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Then one should find out who failed to do their job? And how was she allowed to do it that way?
Thats the whole point I've been making through this thread.

She was a representative of the White House, clearly she operated this way with their permission, in violation of Obamas own policy.

What did Obama do about it?
Quote:
For the rest of this. What does the NSA do all day?
NSA collects data, they may or may not have the emails, we dont know since the information isnt accessible by the public.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Emails go like this,.

Send an email to @city-data.com

and that email leaves your pc, goes out to the registration to find out where the email server is sitting, and sends that email from your computer, to that host pc. It does bounce around a little until it gets to the final destination, but once it hits that server IP, the email server goes out to the web and retrieves it.

All of this of course takes a blink of an eye.

Then that email is then placed into an email server database, which is supposed to be backed up by the federal government, if you have a .gov email address, but that was not done here.

When you delete that email, its removed from the database, and while in theory its technically on the hard drive, its only there until its replaced by other data, in this instance,other emails.

There are scrubbing programs that can be used, to wipe out space on a hard drive where this data used to be, which may or may not have been run, but if she wont give up the drive, then they cant be retrieved.

If they are on the server, and she wont give up the server, then it doesnt matter if they are there or not..
I have but one word, Hacker. In 1999 that may have been true about the email, that they would be gone from the servers. But not in 2015.

Most people wouldn't believe the amount of 'deleted' data that can be retrieved from a hard drive (& cyberspace). Just because the general public can't get their hands on the tools, doesn't mean they don't exist.

As for as legality here...I sure am proud I don't have a government job.

And this is were I get off this crazy thread.

ty pghquest it's been fun.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I have but one word, Hacker. In 1999 that may have been true about the email, that they would be gone from the servers. But not in 2015.

Most people wouldn't believe the amount of 'deleted' data that can be retrieved from a hard drive (& cyberspace). Just because the general public can't get their hands on the tools, doesn't mean they don't exist.

As for as legality here...I sure am proud I don't have a government job.

And this is were I get off this crazy thread.

ty pghquest it's been fun.
I run my own email servers, the retrievability of deleted emails depends upon the format of the data being saved, (such as a text file, access database, or sql file), and how often, if ever they scrub the drives.

I can scrub my drives to the point that they exceed the DOD standards, and they would be irretrievable, by the best of law enforcement. DOD sets pretty high standards, and there is a Gutman scrubbing, which in reality isnt that much safer, even though its 15 times as high as the DOD standard, and the data is gone. You cant reverse and guess 99 different combinations of 0s and 1s to retrieve data. its virtually impossible.

In 1999, prior to the new types of drives and scrubbing, you destroyed drives to keep it safe, now you scrub them.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I voted for defend, though I wouldn't say I defend it. I really just don't care.

Is something like this that big of a deal, really? If it's some policy violation, just tell her to forward what she has to an official email, and stop using it. The NSA probably has access to all that information anyway, so who cares? Personal or private email; the information is still shielded form the people.

This seems like a non-issue.

I would like to think a government email account is a little harder to hack than my Yahoo account.

For that reason, if no other, her actions show recklessness.

Of course her motive for ignoring the regulation was to avoid accountability for her actions.

This fits the pattern of misconduct and incompetency followed by stonewalling and obstructionism that has been the Clinton trademark since Whitewater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies