Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 03:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,402,853 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- Broadcaster Kelly Tilghman has apologized. Tiger Woods has accepted it. But the Rev. Al Sharpton says it isn't good enough.

Tiger OK with 'lynch' remark, but Sharpton ready for battle - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,323,415 times
You say something like that about a white person and no one bats an eyelash. That, to me, is racism.

I don't use the term "hang" as an exclusively black remark. I use it in a lot of ways, as in that so-and-so (insert random politician's name here) ought to be taken out and shot, hanged, hung out to dry, etc...

I doubt Ms. Tilghman meant it in a racist fashion at all. Al Sharpton is a moron, but he's just always looking for a fight and an excuse to get his ugly mug in front of a camera.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,448,421 times
From the article, according to Al Sharpton:

"Lynching is not murder in general. It is not assault in general. It is a specific racial term that this woman should be held accountable for," the reverend said. "What she said is racist. Whether she's a racist -- whether she runs around at night making racist statements -- is immaterial."

Sharpton is wrong. There is nothing inherent in the term "lynching" that implies race or racism. That's like claiming the word "Assault" is racist.

lynching - Definitions from Dictionary.com
lynching - noun - putting a person to death by mob action without due process of law

Old 01-11-2008, 08:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,122,217 times
It seems everytime somebody says something that can be twisted to be racist, he'll jump all over it and call his followers into action.

I think Al Sharpton should put out a list of things that white people cannot say or do. In fact, I DEMAND a list.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,111,771 times
I understand the linkage of the term lynching and the sensitivity of the issue with some black folks.

She said something offhanded and stupid. An apology seems sufficient to me, the suspension seems uncalled for. Sharpton is just who he is, and should simply be ignored.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,528,279 times
Quote:
(CNN) -- Broadcaster Kelly Tilghman has apologized. Tiger Woods has accepted it.
Quite frankly, I don't need Tiger Woods OR Al Sharpton to confirm that I heard or read something that's offensive to me and my heritage. Nor do I need white people to decide whether something warrants any degree of reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies