Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,693,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
quote;In its written objection to the law, the ACLU claims REAL ID amounts to the "first-ever national identity card system," which "would irreparably damage the fabric of American life."

a rare instance where I actually agree with the ACLU and that they are not being partisan,I'm not for a national ID at all.

Another example where government failed by it's foreign agenda and now instead of putting limits on itself to make a correction,it expects citizens to take the heat.....and will that stop extremists from wanting to comit terrorism?....no,will a change in foreign policy reduce threats?.....yes.
The ACLU is wrong. A national ID card is not going to cause any harm to anybody that is here LEGALLY. Those that are not here LEGALLY may have some problems. Hopefully we can offer most of them a FINAL amnesty but the others would have to go back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 992,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The ACLU is wrong. A national ID card is not going to cause any harm to anybody that is here LEGALLY.
Ahhhh yes, the old "if you aren't breaking any laws, then what do you need privacy for anyway" position.
I like it when cops use it:

"If you don't have anything to hide, when why won't you let me search your car?"

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,333,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The ACLU is wrong. A national ID card is not going to cause any harm to anybody that is here LEGALLY. Those that are not here LEGALLY may have some problems. Hopefully we can offer most of them a FINAL amnesty but the others would have to go back home.
There are other ways we can handle immigration problems without federalizing ourselves even more than we were ever meant to.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 PM

37,758 posts, read 40,852,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON — Americans born after Dec. 1, 1964, will have to get more secure driver's licenses in the next six years under ambitious post-9/11 security rules to be unveiled Friday by federal officials.

The Homeland Security Department has spent years crafting the final regulations for the REAL ID Act, a law designed to make it harder for terrorists, illegal immigrants and con artists to get government-issued identification. The effort once envisioned to take effect in 2008 has been pushed back in the hopes of winning over skeptical state officials.

FOXNews.com - Homeland Security to Unveil New Driver's License Rules - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
1964? No geezer terrorists?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 AM

309 posts, read 363,278 times
Just one more form of government intrusion and to all those who truly believe that such ID Cards WILL actually deter any illegals or possible terrorists from either entering the US or living here amongst us......think AGAIN!
Too many folks out there who truly believe in the government's ability to be effective at "security" or anything else. Nope.....too inept, too much inter-agency pride and competition which results in communication breakdowns and inneffectiveness.....ALL at the high cost of eroding more Americans' liberties and Constitutional FREEDOMS and privacy.
IS anonymity......soon to be an illegal thing or is it already?
Who NEEDS a Passport?....Unless your travelling internationally....you DON'T!

This IS a heated debate already here in Washington state......since there are so many Canadians who love to shop here, gamble here and whatever else......but also since the 2010 Winter Olympics are not far off and to be held in Vancouver, British Columbia. There's been a huge concern over Passports for ground travel for a while and now this thing!?
Homeland INsecurity.........succeeding at restricting movement of Americans and treating the masses as Guilty until PROVING they are NOT here illegally or a terrorist!
Sorry.........but it's another joke on the American people and if you favor this nonsense.....you favor Totalitarianism and NOTHING short of it, IMO!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM

646 posts, read 1,785,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Our civilization is less trusting of central authority over our lives than yours.
What do you mean by this statement? What is our civilization? To me it seems like we should be more trusting as governments evolve, even though this latest administration have done things which make me understand some of this concern.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:17 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 992,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
What is our civilization?
I assumed you were European given your screen name name and your seeming willingness to trust anything a government does. You know... Europe; a distinctly different civilization from the United States.

Quote:
To me it seems like we should be more trusting as governments evolve
Lots of people think that the government is an entity that can almost never, ever be blindly and mindlessly trusted. The government isn't a benevolent overseer there to pave our roads and make bad things good again. It's an enterprise made up of people with human ideals and motives, often times that can have bad results.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,785,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
I assumed you were European given your screen name name and your seeming willingness to trust anything a government does. You know... Europe; a distinctly different civilization from the United States.

Lots of people think that the government is an entity that can almost never, ever be blindly and mindlessly trusted. The government isn't a benevolent overseer there to pave our roads and make bad things good again. It's an enterprise made up of people with human ideals and motives, often times that can have bad results.
Thank you for your assumption and enlightment that there is another continent in the world. I do think the US can learn from other countries though, especially when it comes to the effectiveness of the government.
Of course the government shouldn't be trusted in anything it does, it definitely needs to be questioned (Iraq anybody), but I do think as we progress that we can entrust something as simple as a national ID without getting scared. Our job as citizens is to enforce/be part of that solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies