Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 AM

165 posts, read 169,727 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=8bUuvfDmsAs

Absolutely amazing that a 332 page bill could be passed in total secrecy. Both Democrats and Republicans should be up in arms that a bill is not made public.
How can anyone be for it it they do not know what is in it? This is a nightmare for anyone that loves the freedom now on the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Absolutely amazing that a 332 page bill could be passed in total secrecy.
Absolutely amazing that you're spreading such vacuous misinformation. Everyone voting on the rules (not a bill) had more than sufficient access to what they were voting on, and the rules were voted on following one of the most open public discussions of an issue in FCC history.

You don't like the new rules. Message received. I'm not really sure I like them much myself, though I see both sides have good points. But regardless - stop spreading misinformation about the manner in which the rules came into being because - why? - you weren't personally consulted or your personal preference honored?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:41 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=8bUuvfDmsAs

Absolutely amazing that a 332 page bill could be passed in total secrecy. Both Democrats and Republicans should be up in arms that a bill is not made public.
How can anyone be for it it they do not know what is in it? This is a nightmare for anyone that loves the freedom now on the internet

yeah, it was resolved. THE ISPs used their monopolies to demand substantial payments from netflix so that these companies will continue to provide services their customers paid for. . to netflix.

So you pay for 50mbps down speed

unless you want netflix

then you can't use your 50mbps down, unless Netflix gives in and pays up

yeah resolved

caving into a bully isn't a resolution

Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm not really sure I like them much myself,....
The FCC has only released an outline that has no specifics so I'm not sure how you or anyone else can make any judgement on something you have not read.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:03 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Keep in mind that the new rules simply reverse the "fast lanes", returning Netflix's streaming to the status of all other traffic in the network, meaning that at peak times it'll be subject to the same degradation that Netflix found so abhorrent previously that they paid for the "fast lanes". Evidently, Netflix's priorities have changed, since they supported these rules. Perhaps they were simply looking for a way to have someone else to blame for no longer wanting to pay for the premium treatment for their streams any longer. Now they can go back blaming Comcast and Verizon for the degradation.

Remind me: How did this benefit the consumer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The FCC has only released an outline that has no specifics so I'm not sure how you or anyone else can make any judgement on something you have not read.
We have access to far more information about the new rules than is necessary to make such judgments. You can choose to duck out of the discussion if you'd like.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Absolutely amazing that you're spreading such vacuous misinformation. Everyone voting on the rules (not a bill) had more than sufficient access to what they were voting on, and the rules were voted on following one of the most open public discussions of an issue in FCC history.

You don't like the new rules. Message received. I'm not really sure I like them much myself, though I see both sides have good points. But regardless - stop spreading misinformation about the manner in which the rules came into being because - why? - you weren't personally consulted or your personal preference honored?
Actually, we were all "personally" consulted. The FCC opened up a page for comments on OUR opinion about Net Neutrality before the issue was ever voted on.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:11 AM
bUU

Chris evidently missed the memo.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
If it helps ordinary Americans, right-wingers will oppose it.

Period.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah, it was resolved. THE ISPs used their monopolies to demand substantial payments from netflix so that these companies will continue to provide services their customers paid for. . to netflix.

So you pay for 50mbps down speed

unless you want netflix

then you can't use your 50mbps down, unless Netflix gives in and pays up

yeah resolved

netflix should have to pay. They are making money on someone else's provided service.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:49 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Can anyone link to this full bill? Not a portion, not what you think w should read, but how about a full bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies