Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yes, yes and no.
Most states you can buy a weapon without a background check. I can buy a weapon from my next door neighbor for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:56 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure there should be a waiting period.
Hot heads need some time to cool down. And impulse buying something lethal (and often very expensive) can always use a little time for thought, too. A perfectly cool-headed gun buyer could well change his mind as to the particular gun he buys, and use the waiting period to do it.

It's not a bad thing to consider the need of a gun. Or to consider the need vs. the want. God knows I wish there was a waiting period for buying banjos- they cost as much or more than a gun, and I've had many regrets from buying one too fast. There's lots of stuff in life that's like that; but little of it can kill someone. Banjos are lethal, but they're slower acting than guns.
Under that rationale, there should be a waiting period to buy kitchen knives, hammers, golf clubs, and any other edged or blunt weapon as well, since roughly ~3,000 homicides each year are carried out with edged or blunt melee weapons...and bare hands.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What's wrong with trading a gun out of a car trunk?
I bought a Glock 26 and some neckties out of a trunk.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure there should be a waiting period.
Hot heads need some time to cool down. And impulse buying something lethal (and often very expensive) can always use a little time for thought, too. A perfectly cool-headed gun buyer could well change his mind as to the particular gun he buys, and use the waiting period to do it.

It's not a bad thing to consider the need of a gun. Or to consider the need vs. the want. God knows I wish there was a waiting period for buying banjos- they cost as much or more than a gun, and I've had many regrets from buying one too fast. There's lots of stuff in life that's like that; but little of it can kill someone. Banjos are lethal, but they're slower acting than guns.
I don't need a background check. I have a carry - permit in several states, and have more weapons than my wife knows about!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:10 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Waiting periods, registration, background checks...all server no other purpose than giving Leviathan intel on who owns guns. None of these things protect citizens, they protect government and make tyranny a bit safer for the tyrant. Leviathan knows they can't get rid of guns, so they do their level best to database where all the guns are in order to have better counter-insurgency tactics.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:49 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I would not have a problem with a 4-5 day wait period, to allow time to see if any new warrants or info on you are out there, or for the cool down period for impulse buying, for people who might buy a gun to "kill that S.O.B. boss for firing me" kind of crap.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I agree with a waiting period for purchasing a firearm. It should be no longer than the time it takes for me to get the cash out of my wallet and hand it to the seller.

I would like to see the 1934 Federal Firearms law repealed. The government does not need or have any right to restrict what kind of gun I purchase and absolutely does not need to know about any purchase I might make. We do not need a Bureau of Firearms. We may not need the Alcohol and Tobacco part either.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Under that rationale, there should be a waiting period to buy kitchen knives, hammers, golf clubs, and any other edged or blunt weapon as well, since roughly ~3,000 homicides each year are carried out with edged or blunt melee weapons...and bare hands.
We treat guns with more respect than knives. You can be a felon and still own hammers and kitchen knives, or even drive an automobile.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I have never had a time when I needed to buy a gun on an urgent basis but I guess it is possible.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Tell you what. Let's start with the FIRST Amendment. Let's have waiting period BEFORE your post is posted.

It will have to go to federal government "clearing house" to be sure what you want to say follows all the rules and regulations against libel, harassment, hate crimes, political correctness, accuracy, etc.

"....The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall NOT be infringed".

Then we can start with others product, like cigarettes. We have heard for years how they "kill" so many people. Shouldn't here be awaiting period for them?

Cars kill a lot of people, how about them?

Where does it end?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-04-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies