Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
And I would expect like rights and protections for a company's good and services which choose NOT to participate.
Choose not to participate in what? Being gay?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
The Republican Party's ruling coalition of religious reactionaries and those who advocate egoistic avarice has often been referred to as "an unholy alliance" for a reason - it required the religious reactionaries to explicitly support distinctly immoral policies. They had to live in violation of the expressed values of their belief systems in order to achieve compatibility with their partners necessary to have a strong enough foundation to overcome two generations of almost-continual Democratic domination of the federal legislature.

What we see happening now is two things: First, the fiscal extremists are beginning to see the religious extremists as a liability rather than an asset (for the reasons alluded to by this thread). That, in turn, is prompting the religious extremists to reassess the hypocrisy necessary to remain aligned with the GOP.

However, I don't like all the assumptions that I see people making that the Republican Party is facing imminent decline or implosion, based primarily on the trend highlighted in this thread. The rate at which the fiscal extremists are effectively spreading their attitudes is troubling, and given how bad human nature could be under the right circumstances and motivation, could eventually overcome the loss of the religious extremists.

So, in a nutshell, I think the answer to this question may end up being academic and insignificant from the GOP standpoint.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Younger conservatives, assuming they are only fiscally conservative should vote libertarian until the social conservative trolls in the GOP wither and die and then the backward gay bashing, anti abortion, drug warrior agenda will be a thing of the past.

I'm 41 so I'm not sure I'm considered "young" anymore, but I certainly vote libertarian. Secondly, I find it silly that 2 consenting adults have to "ask permission" from the state via a marriage license to get married! Don't you?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Other than most conservative's opposing a "traditional" marriage for them but ok with a civil union gays have just as many rights as other Americans do already.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Incorrect.

For civil unions to grant "just as many rights" as marriage, it would be necessary to change over a thousand laws in hundreds of jurisdictions. Besides the fact that many of those jurisdictions would not cooperate if given a choice or the power to obstruct, trying to make all those changes practically simultaneous, such that it would be relevant to a discussion about a choice between which direction to pursue to achieve justice, would be exceedingly costly and wasteful when a much more efficient and effective means is available, i.e., marriage equality.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I'm really curious as to how willing conservatives are to compromise on rights and protections for LGBT individuals. The reason is this: younger voters overwhelmingly support full equal rights and protections for LGBT persons, including marriage, employment, and housing. Even a majority (61%) of Republicans aged 18-29 favor legal same-sex marriage.

The writing seems to be on the wall: eventually, same-sex marriage will be nationally legal. The longer Republicans wait to embrace this inevitability, the more difficult it will be for them in the long-run. If they support LGBT rights sooner rather than later they might have some chance of getting at least some younger voter support. But if they continue their obstinate resistance it only makes them seem antiquated and out of touch with younger voters.
I've been called a right-wing nut job in a few discussions here so I assume you want answers from people like me.

marriage - I want government out of marriage altogether. But if that doesn't happen then let everyone get married. Different sex, same sex, throuples or even more. I could care less if a Mormon guy has 6 wives. I can barely keep one happy. More power to him.

employment - Major corporations and state agencies already have these policies in place. Most smaller companies only want the best employees. There are a few that will discriminate based on orientation, color, religion or something else. I support their right to do so. I am pro free association. The few that are openly discriminating should also have this information provided to the public to let them decide if they will do business here.

housing - The rights of the property owner trump everything else. If I'm renting a house then I decide who I rent to.

Quote:
ISo what's your perspective conservatives? Are you at least willing to consider full and equal rights and protections for LGBT persons or not?

Young Republicans favor same-sex marriage | Pew Research Center
I want everyone treated equally which means there is no special treatment for anyone.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Other than most conservative's opposing a "traditional" marriage for them but ok with a civil union gays have just as many rights as other Americans do already.
Gay marriage has nothing to do with "traditional" marriage - it's about equal access to, and equal treatment under, civil marriage law.

And in many states, conservatives made sure to ban any legal recognition of - and any conferring of equal rights to - gay couples under any title.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
I'm really curious as to how willing conservatives are to compromise on rights and protections for LGBT individuals.
Like many other conservatives, I have no issue with gay people getting married or adopting children.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Guys like this give conservatives a bad name.

GOP Presidential Hopeful Says Homosexuality Is A Choice, Cites Prison Rape As Proof | ThinkProgress

Old 03-04-2015, 08:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I've been called a right-wing nut job in a few discussions here so I assume you want answers from people like me.

marriage - I want government out of marriage altogether. But if that doesn't happen then let everyone get married. Different sex, same sex, throuples or even more. I could care less if a Mormon guy has 6 wives. I can barely keep one happy. More power to him.

employment - Major corporations and state agencies already have these policies in place. Most smaller companies only want the best employees. There are a few that will discriminate based on orientation, color, religion or something else. I support their right to do so. I am pro free association. The few that are openly discriminating should also have this information provided to the public to let them decide if they will do business here.

housing - The rights of the property owner trump everything else. If I'm renting a house then I decide who I rent to.

I want everyone treated equally which means there is no special treatment for anyone.
Good post.

I also feel that the government should be out of marriage and any adult should be allowed to marry any other adult or group of adults.

I also believe in freedom of association with the only exception being in the realm of necessities. As an example, a doctor must treat all patients equally regardless of if he wants to associate with them or not. Grocery stores should be forced to open their doors to customers equally regardless of race, sexual orientation, etc. However, if you are a black florist and don't want to sell flowers to white people, that should be your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies