Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Carson is a smart guy. He realizes that in order to have any chance in the GOP, he has to play the role of a dumb rube. And it works. Look at all the adoration he garners from the rightwing Conservatives here. Stupid plays well in the red parts of the country.
A difference of opinion on an issue or two, won't necessarily eliminate a candidate for me.

I don't know enough about the man or his ideas for me to say whether I'd support him or not.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
If we are talking about sex... attraction etc in the end I suspect all humans can be bisexual. These sort of things have no government interaction.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
let me guess, you voted for Obama twice...how is that working out?

you sure called for a Chicago community organizer for President.......
It's working out great for me. Life has NEVER been better although it's gonna get even better.

And yeah...I voted for him twice. Easy, given the alternatives of Romney and McCain.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's working out great for me. Life has NEVER been better although it's gonna get even better.

And yeah...I voted for him twice. Easy, given the alternatives of Romney and McCain.

some people are satisfied with so little....

You voted for Obama twice???? NOOOOOOO!!! really? you fooled me with your posts here....lol

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Perhaps Ben would like to prove his theory by spending a month in prison and choosing not to engage in gay sex.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Perhaps Ben would like to prove his theory by spending a month in prison and choosing not to engage in gay sex.
I think it's really abhorrent that a doctor would deny science in favor of specious baloney about prison to appease bigots who might vote for him.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Prison proves it.

Ben Carson: Prisons prove being gay is a choice - CNN.com

Two questions:

(1) Why does Dr. Carson believe that he is correct in the face of all existing scientific evidence to the contrary? I've never met a gay person who says their sexuality is a choice. The overwhelming anecdotal evidence opposes Dr. Carson's view as well. Why does Dr. Carson think he's correct when the rest of his profession, and the overwhelming majority of gays say he is wrong?

(2) How can a medical Dr. use the ridiculous prison example-- textbook false causation-- to justify this? For a world renown surgeon and intelligent man, he's willing to come across as a simpleton on this issue... What's behind it?

To be clear, this discussion is about Dr. Carson and his thinking process... If you want to debate whether homosexuality is a choice, you're welcome to do so in 1987.
I think the prison analogy is an asinine one. One that is nuts.

1) Dr. Ben Carson is merely a religious conservative. He is anti-gay marriage, anti-evolution and pro-creationism. He is pandering to more religious conservatives in a possible candidate bid (one that I don't see him winning the nomination.)

2) I think he was just associating the evil logic to further his point. Most people agree that felons are bad people so if I say homosexuals are equal, it means they two are equal. As for smart people using these logic, perhaps it is because he is smart at what he does but rather dumb otherwise (rather common with book-smarts,) perhaps it is he is smart and just using a logical fallacy to prove his point because it is rare that people call each other out on it in real life during disagreements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He doesn't appear to understand that there is a difference between being homosexual and performing homosexual acts.

I hate mayonnaise. I can't stand the stuff. If you drop a ham sandwich on the deserted island I've been starving on, I'll be eating that mayonnaise without hesitation.

Being homosexual means that you are attracted to the opposite sex. Homosexual sex in prison is just physical sexual gratification out of desperation.
Yeah, I believe that there are homosexual acts that are a choice (say a girl's "experimental days" during high school and college) but to be in a long-term homosexual relationship is not (even if you are attracted to both men and women like bisexuals, pansexuals and polysexuals.)

Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
It’s interesting how conservatives like to use the word choice in matters of biology. That word is going to get so heavy that they can’t carry it anymore. There is something Freudian about a man who believes in the notion that any man can have sex with any man as a matter of choice. wouldn't that negate the notion that men are biologically suited to have sex with women,... can we override our biology? ...like in abortion? .....but I regress ... Carson is an Idiot.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
(1) Because he is trying to stake out a position that will endear him to hard right religious conservatives for the GOP primary.

(2) Because its politics and something the religious right wants to hear.

Is that true?

If I am a male who finds other males attractive but I never engage in any sort of sexual activity with them, am I a homosexual?

If I am in prison and I do not find males sexually attractive but I do voluntarily engage in sexual activity with other male prisoners, am I a homosexual?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
after Obama, I say Ben Carson is an upgrade.

Sure, if your standards are in the toilet. The GOP can do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies