Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Then why do homosexuals have to tell everyone they are gay? They should not tell anyone what they do but they have to take on an identity of sexual behavior and tell the world.
Homosexuals share their sexuality MUCH LESS OFTEN than heterosexuals share their sexuality.

If it's good for the goose, then it should be good for the gander. Right?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,746,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
not.true.at all. You may have had this expierence but please, all people are different.
Watch the following video where this guy explains why having partners of different sexes (aka bisexuality) is possible for women but not for men -- and the reason for that is that female sexuality is much more fluid and adaptive. Watch from 40:30 to 42:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-A8GvUehq4

Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,083,065 times
Sigh...

I don't know why people expect simple answers to this. It's probably not exclusively genetic, though that's certainly a part of it. I think how one is raised can also affect that, in some way. By that, I don't mean bad parenting as Christians conservatives, ah hell, let's call them what they are, morons, say. Experiences and such likely effect one's sexuality, along with genetics.

To clarify, some people are more 'gay' than others. I think that genetically, they were likely to be gay. But other factors played in to how gay they ended up being. And for more clarity, when I say 'more or less gay' I simply mean sexuality tends to be a on a spectrum. The degree to which intimacy with the same or opposite sex disturbs then is how far they are on one end of the spectrum. Which is why I think how one is raised at least plays some part in it. The average heterosexual man is taught that being gay or feminine in some way is bad, so the idea of being intimate (not referencing only sex by the way, just just closeness) tends to bother most men to the point of being completely unreasonable.

As for bisexuals, they're on the spectrum to. From my experience, most people who are bi tend to still lean towards one sex or the other. Now, the line between bisexual and pansexuality can be blurred sometimes, but in general, people fall onto a scale. Genetics alone can't possibly be the only factor in this. Various experiences throughout one's life certainly plays a role. I of course think after puberty, one's sexuality is not going to change dramatically. They might become more or less gay (or straight), but nothing major.

But to say that sexuality is exclusively a choice is completely idiotic.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,723,455 times
Quote:
Then why do homosexuals have to tell everyone they are gay? They should not tell anyone what they do but they have to take on an identity of sexual behavior and tell the world.
For women and blacks to achieve equal rights, they didn't have to "come out of a closet" and announce "I'm a woman" or "I'm black" because the identity is obvious. For a lot of gay people, however, it is not so obvious. If they were "found out" then they were often the victims of a wide variety of abuse and discrimination. To gain equal rights they needed to stand up and point out their oppression. This involves coming out of the closet. If they didn't have to do it in order to stop the oppression, a lot of gays would probably rather not do it.

Also, as another poster pointed out, heterosexuality is far more "in your face" in American society, generally speaking, than gay sexuality. It just seems more obvious to most people because of the political implications of trying to achieve equal rights, and because "different" just tends to be more noticeable.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
I think there is such a thing as bisexuality and after going through a basic sociology directed towards sexuality, the belief on sexuality is that there is a spectrum of how heterosexual you are vs homosexual you are with bisexuality in the middle. I would say that myself I am more heterosexual than say bisexual.
Quote:
Look at it this way, there is so much heterosexuality that is out in the open. Watch TV for an entire day and see how many times you see a straight couple and a gay couple, the straight couple will out weight the homosexuals, even on Modern Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Homosexuals share their sexuality MUCH LESS OFTEN than heterosexuals share their sexuality.

If it's good for the goose, then it should be good for the gander. Right?
Part of it is the anti-gay stances many people have. I respect Neil Patrick Harris who is gay but isn't in your face about it kissing his partner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Watch the following video where this guy explains why having partners of different sexes (aka bisexuality) is possible for women but not for men -- and the reason for that is that female sexuality is much more fluid and adaptive. Watch from 40:30 to 42:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-A8GvUehq4
I agree that women make up MUCH more of the bisexuals but I'd argue that men can be, its just more rare than female bisexuals.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:13 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,942,001 times
How can anyone choose to be gay or straight? That's ridiculous.

By definition that would mean straight people chose to be straight, and gay people
chose to be gay. By that logic then every person was born asexual and at some point
growing up in their life they CHOSE to be attracted to one sex or the either.

I'm a very straight person who has always been attracted to females.
And I certainly did not CHOOSE to be attracted to females. I can't help it.

That would be as dumb as saying you CHOSE to be born a male or female. It's
nonsense. You can't choose what sex you were born with anymore than you can
choose your natural eye color, hair color, or sexual orientation.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I'm not here to say homosexuality is a choice. I recognize there is quite a bit of evidence that say it is genetic (I haven't actually read any of these scientific studies but I believe they exist). Given the fact that homosexuality is genetic (according to the studies that people have produced) how does one explain people who are truly bisexual? Being bisexual means you are attracted to both genders correct Bisexual - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary ? How is it possible for someone to choose to live a bisexual lifestyle, or are people also born bisexual? Is there scientific studies out there that say bisexuality is a genetic creation?
People are also born bisexual. Freud and Kinsey actually argued most humans are in fact bisexual but lean one direction. Our closest evolutionary relative, the dwarf chimpanzee, is 100% bisexual.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:48 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Other people's sex lives are none of my business.

Problem is, other people want to make their sex lives your business.
Never heard a hetero, have to announce their sexual preference.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,343,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I'm not here to say homosexuality is a choice. I recognize there is quite a bit of evidence that say it is genetic (I haven't actually read any of these scientific studies but I believe they exist). Given the fact that homosexuality is genetic (according to the studies that people have produced) how does one explain people who are truly bisexual? Being bisexual means you are attracted to both genders correct Bisexual - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary ? How is it possible for someone to choose to live a bisexual lifestyle, or are people also born bisexual? Is there scientific studies out there that say bisexuality is a genetic creation?
I believe people who fit the category of "truly" are in the tiniest minority.
Why it seems that is not the case: people are encouraged to 'experiment,' and people (especially kids) are encouraged to view everything in terms of 'sexuality.' In other words, you'd probably find much fewer these days who are capable of understanding something like "My friend is a helpful person- I admire him," or "That girl is better-looking than me- I envy her," because kids are pushed to look at everything in terms of sexual attraction.

As for why the subject irks me in general- I've known of kids who ended up totally confused about their identities and orientations because of these dopey modern approaches.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,354,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Problem is, other people want to make their sex lives your business.
Never heard a hetero, have to announce their sexual preference.
Office chat between two men:

John: "So are you married?"
Pete: "Yes my wife's name is Sally".

or

John: "So what did you do on the weekend?"
Pete: "My wife and I played golf"

Pete has just 'announced' his sexual orientation in an every-day casual conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.