Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,741,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The above is a totally false statement.

I'm an employer. I have health insurance available. My employees can "opt out" (or "in") if they want to. There are certain date ranges to do so but, if someone does not want our insurance, they merely sign an "opt out" statement.

Bada Bing, Bada Boom
My husband's company required us to buy insurance for him, even though he is already covered for free, by mine. Even providing proof of other insurance did not afford us the opportunity to opt out. It is mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
You gotta be kidding me!

It is not a form of welfare at all. People paid into it and were never told they wouldnt get it back.

Can you imagine if you wiped out SS what would happen? What would those people who paid into it live on?

Welfare is a freebie handout, SS was paid for by these people.

If anything we need to force the lazy butts who wont work to pay into it so it will grow so that everyone who paid into it gets it back.

If you want to do away with anything it should be a total elimination of any social welfare programs at all and that money be put into taking care of our elderly who earned the right to be taken care of.

You have to work a certain number of quarters, equivalent of 10 years to be eligible to receive SS benefits. The rate of pay you would receive, is equivalent to some formula based on your average earnings, so if you did not earn a lot, you won't get anywhere close to the maximum benefit.

The only people who get "freebies" are those who are disabled by birth, or have had their main breadwinner parent die.

Even American citizens, if they have not worked the 10 year equivalent, are not eligible for SS. So while I have read through this thread, reports of immigrants receiving SS, unless they have paid into the system, and are not a green card holder (but a citizen), they do not get money from SS. Also, all on-the-book employees, even non-citizens, pay into social security.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I haven't been paying much attention to the campaigns, but if either of them actually said those things, they were lying.
I haven't paid close attention to the campaigns this go around. The 2004 Primaries was enough to sour me.

However, from my experience at being at actual events, what is spun on the news is a work of fiction compared to what was actually said.

I sincerely doubt what is being "interpreted" was actually said.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
My husband's company required us to buy insurance for him, even though he is already covered for free, by mine. Even providing proof of other insurance did not afford us the opportunity to opt out. It is mandatory.
Perhaps, in your husbands company. But, I can assure you - no, guarantee you, that is not the case universally.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 AM

229 posts, read 169,585 times
Default You conveniently left off the war in Iraq, which has created the vast majority of the increased debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Anyone would be in this hole if you had Katrina, Wild Fires, 9/11, send money to several countries for their disasters and all the problems we have come across that takes money to fix.
There is no way we can balance our money when disasters hit over and over again and we continue to spend money on illegals and social welfare programs.
This is hilarious! Bush let the people in New Orleans suffer and die - would not even let donations from OTHER countries get thru, America doesn't send much money to ANY country, unless there are strings attached, except perhaps Israel. Wildfires and 9/11? - be serious. The Congress spent more to investigate Clinton's affairs than it did the crime scene at 9-11. You conveniently left off the war in Iraq, which has created the vast majority of the increased debt.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 AM

229 posts, read 169,585 times
Default I get the analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
We were talking about the Social Security surplus.
Ok, I get the analogy. The state of our economy is like Countrywide Bank having 9 billion in negative assets, but a 'surplus' of $500 in the morning coffee fund.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM

746 posts, read 841,010 times
I have not read the entire board, so i have no clue where you all are at, but I wanted to chime in on the original question. I think the US needs to move out of a "pay as you go" system and put the onus and responsibility with the American worker. Also it needs to be privatized it is about time American workers learn how to invest and take care of themselves once they retire. If its privatized you will get a much better return on your money than you currently do allowing the government to run this program.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Does Geico ask you how it should invevest your car insurance premiums? By the way, do you know why your premiums went up recently? Because they had higher claims and they needed more money to satisfy those claims? Nope. Because they made bad investments with your money, took losses on their investments, and need more money from policy-holders now to remain solvent. But the CEO didn't lose a cent.
A better analogy would be life insurance as in whole life. And yes I get to determine how they invest my funds.
You are correct about the auto insurance and why the rates went up. Same thing happened in 2001.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:43 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,180,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
Oh my God....those people are total idiots and have no idea how the system works.
Its YOUR money,you paid into it for years,why shouldn't you get it back?
Nope, it's not your money. The money that you pay into SS goes to the generation who is retiring right now-the Baby Boomers. The generation behind you will pay for your SS. That's how it works.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Nope, it's not your money. The money that you pay into SS goes to the generation who is retiring right now-the Baby Boomers. The generation behind you will pay for your SS. That's how it works.
In other words, it is a Ponzi scheme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies