Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times

Advertisements

As I said in another thrad, the American people will trade Freedom for Order. And in still another thread, the reason is because Americans are motivated chiefly by Fear. Order protects, and Freedom threatens the fearful,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,607,678 times
Well that is pretty cynical, jtur88, butI guess history has born it out. Also, as was stated, most are not willing to think for themselves, mentally lazy, easily distracted, etc. so lends to top heavy governmental control over us.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM

278 posts, read 908,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Also, as was stated, most are not willing to think for themselves, mentally lazy, easily distracted, etc. so lends to top heavy governmental control over us.
Isn't THAT the truth!! I'm now 50, but it seems to me that government began it's micro-managing in every area of our life when we...as a society...we became too retarded to govern ourselves.

Example: I remember when it became a law to have to wear seatbelts. Some people fussed....not because the seatbelts were bad....but because they were pissed off that the government thought they had a right to tell them what to do in their own vehicle. People should just have had enough common sense to WANT to wear a seatbelt instead of flying thru their windshield. However, they didn't, so government had to step in and make it mandatory.

The same is true when it comes with how many donuts a person choses to eat. You would think a person will see their Whale Tail and decide to cut down on their own. But they don't. So, government steps in and thinks it has to legislate something this stupid.

People need to start taking responsibility for their own decisions and then it doesn't leave such a BIG door for special interest groups and government to come in and take away the ability for them to make their own choices.

I think every individual has the right to chose what they eat, drink, smoke, and who they sleep with. Unfortunately, they get sloppy in their decisions, hurt the people around them, and then government has to come along and make a bunch of baby rules for adults.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:53 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,607,678 times
Oh no, are they regulating the donuts now?!! Should I be buying in bulk??

Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Fear mongering has become a huge business. When I was a kid, everything I knew about the outside world came from riding in a car, standing up and looking out the window. Now kids have to be strait-jacketed with their eyes below window-sill level.

The best example of irrational terror came just the other day. My bus stopped in traffic right by the back of a school playground, during recess. The playground was enclosed by a 6-foot high chainlink fence, and kids were playing on swings just inside the fence. One lady on the bus said "Those swings are too close to this busy street." I was really baffled trying to think what possible danger there could have been to those kids, but if she writes to her congressmen, the school might have to spend money from its strapped education budget to move the swings further away from 'danger'. But in her mind, she is so transfixed with the idea of children in danger, that her mentality actually searches constantly for examples that she can inflate into measures that ought to be imposed on society.

Parents do not know what real fear is, nowadays, even though they go through the motions. My parents had to quarantine me all summer, for fear of polio. Now, THAT was something for parents to fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies