Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,510,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That's just a history lesson. The author doesn't even call the settlers racist, or the Native Americans uncivilized. That's left up to the reader to take from it what they want.
Quote from the article, "So, basically — if you organize your eating around breakfast, lunch and dinner, you are perpetuating the racist belief that Native Americans are savage animals." End quote

Seems pretty clear to me what her agenda was, and what she wanted to impart with her statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 01:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,142,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Quote from the article, "So, basically — if you organize your eating around breakfast, lunch and dinner, you are perpetuating the racist belief that Native Americans are savage animals." End quote

Seems pretty clear to me what her agenda was, and what she wanted to impart with her statements.
That's not from the original article; that's from a think piece critical of the original article. The OP posted the link to the original article second. Read that. While still stupid for a headline, it's clearly not as inflammatory as it might seem.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,488,127 times
Quote:

Please read everything. That's not from the article that we're talking about, it's from a critique.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:13 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,510,058 times
Quote:
That's not from the original article; that's from a think piece critical of the original article. The OP posted the link to the original article second. Read that. While still stupid for a headline, it's clearly not as inflammatory as it might seem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Please read everything. That's not from the article that we're talking about, it's from a critique.
That's the article that came up when I clicked the link in the OP: Mother Jones: Eating Three Meals A Day Is Racist

If that wasn't germane to the discussion it shouldn't have been included.

As it was, and spoke directly to the title of the thread, it seemed to me to be on-point to the discussion.

I made no judgments, simply quoted the information presented and as such, it seems the intent as indicated is there.

Reading the second article I find, quote: "They observed that the eating schedule of the native tribes was less rigid—the volume and timing of their eating varied with the seasons. Sometimes, when food was scarce, they fasted. The Europeans took this as "evidence that natives were uncivilized," Carroll explained to me in an email. "Civilized people ate properly and boundaried their eating, thus differentiating themselves from the animal kingdom, where grazing is the norm." (So fascinated were Europeans with tribes' eating patterns, notes Carroll, that they actually watched Native Americans eat "as a form of entertainment.") End quote.

This seems to accurately mirror the first article so I find it difficult to separate the indicated intent from the perceived intent that others seem to draw from it, i.e.: that the article is not condemning eating practices as racist when the preponderance of evidence drawn from a reading of both articles seems to indicate otherwise.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,142,613 times
Quote:
That's the article that came up when I clicked the link in the OP: Mother Jones: Eating Three Meals A Day Is Racist

If that wasn't germane to the discussion it shouldn't have been included.

As it was, and spoke directly to the title of the thread, it seemed to me to be on-point to the discussion.

I made no judgments, simply quoted the information presented and as such, it seems the intent as indicated is there.

Reading the second article I find, quote: "They observed that the eating schedule of the native tribes was less rigid—the volume and timing of their eating varied with the seasons. Sometimes, when food was scarce, they fasted. The Europeans took this as "evidence that natives were uncivilized," Carroll explained to me in an email. "Civilized people ate properly and boundaried their eating, thus differentiating themselves from the animal kingdom, where grazing is the norm." (So fascinated were Europeans with tribes' eating patterns, notes Carroll, that they actually watched Native Americans eat "as a form of entertainment.") End quote.

This seems to accurately mirror the first article so I find it difficult to separate the indicated intent from the perceived intent that others seem to draw from it, i.e.: that the article is not condemning eating practices as racist when the preponderance of evidence drawn from a reading of both articles seems to indicate otherwise.
But that first article is a subjective critique of the original article. Any evidence or perceived intent gained from that article to be applied to the original article is inherently biased. The indicated intent should be discerned by reading the original article.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:41 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,415,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
You can't make this lunacy up
So lets get this straight

1 - if its posted from any source noted (to you) as Liberal. . .than its liberal logic?

2 - you didn't bother to read the article

...So I just peaked a look at the Article. The headline is the only thing that says "racist' . . .its pure attention grabbing bs. . .by some web editor. The article doesn't mention racism.

Racism plays into the article regarding the judgement of early Europeans on Indians that they didn't eat three meals, so it was unrefined, uncivilized, etc. Now that was racist, hence the articles note

The article doesn't say continuing to eat three meals is racist. It makes the case that it doesn't serve your bodies metabolic need

Should the take away be, Conservative Logic: never read past the headline, and make grandiose statements?

and i'm only liberal on social . . not on fiscal

Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,811,719 times
What the article author titled the piece, isn't that what Rush Limbaugh does once a year anyway to revive interest in his show? He says something completely outrageous, the entire media is in an uproar and gets everybody talking about it, and he thus succeeds in generating revenue. The article author succeeded in the same mission

Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,124,363 times
I don't place any credence to anything from Mother Jones.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:06 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,968,177 times
Quote:

Quote:
Regardless, this is basically what Mother Jones wants you to think after reading it.

And I'd like MJ to post any actual links to their historical references on European colonists watching "savage" Natives eat for entertainment purposes.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:20 PM

7,791 posts, read 6,344,301 times
If one of those meals is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, you're a super duper racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies