Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times

Advertisements

You can't make this lunacy up

Senior editor at Mother Jones wants you to know that you should stop eating three meals a day for reasons including the fact that it is "racist." Yes — she actually uses the word "racist:" "Dogmatic adherence to mealtimes is anti-science, racist, and might actually be making you sick," proclaims the subhead to Kiera Butler’s Wednesday article, titled "Why You Should Stop Eating Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner."

Read more at: Mother Jones: Eating Three Meals A Day Is Racist
http://www.motherjones.com/environme...t-lunch-dinner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
The real story is that someone took a Mother Jones article seriously. Nothing from that leftist rag surprises me.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 AM

45,368 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
The real story is that someone took a Mother Jones article seriously. Nothing from that leftist rag surprises me.

Others will quote it in the Frugal Living, Diet and Weight Loss and Great Debates fora on City-Data, though.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
I actually read the article. The headline is the only part of that whole article that uses the word racist; the rest of the article is more or less just a history lesson, with scientific studies thrown in there to show that there's no 'correct' amount of meals to eat in a day, and that fasting might actually be beneficial. So clearly, the headline is just there to provoke and shock, in order to gain more readers. In that, I think she succeeded (as evidenced by this thread). There isn't anything overt or even subtly racist about the article; she doesn't even condemn the settlers. Just a shock headline to gain eyeballs, nothing more.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:22 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I actually read the article. The headline is the only part of that whole article that uses the word racist; the rest of the article is more or less just a history lesson, with scientific studies thrown in there to show that there's no 'correct' amount of meals to eat in a day, and that fasting might actually be beneficial. So clearly, the headline is just there to provoke and shock, in order to gain more readers. In that, I think she succeeded (as evidenced by this thread). There isn't anything overt or even subtly racist about the article; she doesn't even condemn the settlers. Just a shock headline to gain eyeballs, nothing more.

If that is the case then it is pretty stupid to use the racist word in that way.
Everywhere we turn we hear racist this and racist that. Eventually the word will lose its impact and people won't be shocked by it anymore. People throw the word around to scare or shut up someone. We have seen this in politics, blah blah blah,,, "YOU RACIST" ""silence""

Racism is a 4 letter word today. If we look at another 4 letter word that starts with "F" we hear it all the time in Rap music and in movies. Teenagers use it all the time when they are together. It is shocking when directed at you but with the overuse it has lost its value.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
Quote:
That's funny, because, I read the article and I took the exact same points away from it. The use of "racist" in the headline seemed like a cheap way to grab attention but the overall article was about the history of eating patterns and making the argument that it's not necessary to eat a big breakfast or eat breakfast at all to be healthy.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-05-2015 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
"Racist' has come to mean basically anything that those on the Left don't like. If you are against Obama, you are a racist. If you are against illegal immigration, you are racist. The author is against three meals a day, so it's racist. It's just the natural progression of the word.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Oh noes! Rauxcism again rears it's ugly head.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If that is the case then it is pretty stupid to use the racist word in that way.
Everywhere we turn we hear racist this and racist that. Eventually the word will lose its impact and people won't be shocked by it anymore. People throw the word around to scare or shut up someone. We have seen this in politics, blah blah blah,,, "YOU RACIST" ""silence""

Racism is a 4 letter word today. If we look at another 4 letter word that starts with "F" we hear it all the time in Rap music and in movies. Teenagers use it all the time when they are together. It is shocking when directed at you but with the overuse it has lost its value.
I can agree with this. To me, the article headline did come across as 'shock jock' material just to get readers. And yea, overuse of a word does tend to dilute its meaning.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:29 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Many left-leaning C-Der's take Mother Jones (and other radical Leftist sites such as AlterNet, Salon, et al.) very seriously, quoting them often in their political discussions, which is why I needed to post this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies