Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 09:15 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

If you've got some individual abusing the system then kick them off. However, I don't see how routine drug testing would be necessary or useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, for the I don't know how many times.....private industry can do things the government can not. The Constitution does not apply to private industry but rather to the government.

(wondering how many more times I will have to point this basic government 101 fact out)

Basic Government 102: Any person who applies to, is offered and accepts a position with any City, County, State or Federal agency will be required to submit and pass a pre employment drug test and will be required to submit and pass regular random drug tests during their time of employment.

(wondering how times I will have to point this basic government 101 fact out)

Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Do you really think that an artificially low interest rate on a student loan is different than welfare? Both are taking money from taxpayers to allow you to do something you would not ordinarily be able to do.
Now there's a real welfare state circle jerk, chasing after students using drugs and also have student loans. That would take a major model of efficiency.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nope. I don't support drug testing period and either should anyone else. America.
The Supreme Court of Canada has overturned a company's right to impose mandatory, random alcohol testing on its unionized workers in a dangerous workplace.

In a 6-3 decision released on Friday, the court ruled the policy unilaterally adopted by Irving Pulp and Paper Ltd. in Saint John in 2006 for employees in safety sensitive positions is unreasonable.

It's nearly impossible for an employer to get permission to drug test workers here in Canada. There has to be specific legislation for certain workplaces where public safety is of paramount importance.

The decision from the top court could have broad implications. It is considered a national test case for how far an employer can go when it comes to a worker's right to privacy.

It attracted numerous interveners, including the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, the Canadian National Railway Company, Via Rail Canada, the Canadian Mining Association, and the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters (CME), which describes itself as the largest industry and trade association.

Ian Howcroft, vice-president for the Ontario division of the CME, said it's "unfortunate" the Supreme Court did not uphold a company's right to do random testing.

But "it's encouraging the judgment did not close the door completely and companies may still be able to do some testing in certain circumstances," Howcroft said.

He maintains companies should have everything at their disposal to ensure the workplace is free of hazards.

Not even trucking companies can test here. When I was trucking I had to be tested because we ran the USA and the US department of transportation requires testing.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:54 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Then there is the admitted user at 1800 Pennsylvania Ave.

1600, too late to catch the typo.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:49 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
they are applying for employment not benefits given to them from the Government.
They are innocent with no reason to try and prove them guilty of anything yet they are forced to take the test.
This mindset is what is wrong with the U.S. today. The fact is that the biggest BENEFIT of employment is the mere fact that I can eat. Why am I working at all if all I need to do is go get benefits from the government to meet my every need?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Basic Government 102: Any person who applies to, is offered and accepts a position with any City, County, State or Federal agency will be required to submit and pass a pre employment drug test and will be required to submit and pass regular random drug tests during their time of employment.

(wondering how times I will have to point this basic government 101 fact out)
I posted the link earlier where the courts threw the drug testing out and Florida threw in the towel. Now I guess anyone can support drug testing for welfare recipients but it's not going to happen.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
We should be drug testing politicians before welfare recipients.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
No, I don't support any drug testing unless it's evident you are using drugs at work or coming to work under the influence. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
When I worked in Dallas, at a more entry level job, they did drug tests before they hired people. 1/2 of those who had qualified to be hired tested positive for drugs and were eliminated. Yes, drug testing would eliminate a lot of folks who turn their welfare money into funding their drug habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies