Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 04:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times

Advertisements

Michelle Rodriguez recently caused a stir by saying that minorities shouldn't portray traditionally white superheroes. She was criticized for this (I think quite unfairly) but she does raise a valid point.

Michelle Rodriguez Clarifies Comments on White Superheroes and Minorities - ABC News

Are progressives going too far by 'shoehorning' minorities into typically white (or male) superhero roles?

Personally, as a minority who is about as liberal, multiculti as it gets, I think it depends on how it's done. I think Sam Jackson as Nick Fury was brilliant, as Nick Fury has always been kind of a peripheral character defined more by his character attributes (brash, bold, authoritative) than his race. Sam Jackson is pretty much synonymous with those traits, and really does justice to the character. Conversely, I would have no problems if Meryl Streep was cast as Amanda Waller, a traditionally black female character, if she could embody the essence of the character.

I think it becomes overdone, though, if the background of the character is completely thrown out JUST to make them a minority. The new Fantastic Four reboot with a black Johnny Storm, I think, is going too far. Michael B. Jordan is a phenomenal actor (see Fruitvale Station if you haven't), but Johnny Storm is literally the brother of a white female (Invisible Woman). Since the movie isn't out yet, we can only speculate on how they'll reconcile this, but to me, a minority, it just seems wrong and pandering. I don't have high hopes for the movie regardless, as its another unnecessary reboot, but I think this casting will hurt the movie even more, through the backlash caused.

Alternate versions of superheroes, like Miles Morales, the Afro-Latino Spiderman, and the female Thor also seem a bit wrong to me. While not technically the original characters, it still comes across as heavy handed. In theory, it's a nice compromise, but it just rings hollow to me. We've had 'traditional' 'good' black/women superheroes for a while now (Black Panther, The Falcon, Catwoman, etc.) I don't feel we need to infringe on other identities just to 'diversify'. If more representation is needed, just create more characters. Hancock with Will Smith was a so so movie, but it was a brilliant idea, in my opinion. I think more original properties is preferable to infringing on already established genders/ethnicities.

Lastly, the orientation of superheroes is the last thing I could care about. Apparently Catwoman is bisexual now. While this does 'fit' the character, who really cares? If anything, it just comes across as misogynistic and pandering to horny dudes. I think a gay male character could work, but it would have to be tastefully done and an original character. And I would loathe if they took a traditional character, say DareDevil, and made him gay just for the hell of it.

These are just some of my thoughts, though. Looking forward to hearing yours...

Last edited by qworldorder; 03-05-2015 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:11 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Ol' Willie said it best: Much Ado About Nothing

Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
stealing roles from white people? Really?

This woman is so freaking stupid it's almost impressive. First off she says "minorities" like she isn't one of them...

Then she doesn't understand that the Green Lantern comes in all races and some of them are animals...

How many times have we seen whites playing Egyptians or Latinos? She needs to have a few seats and ****

Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury is brilliant casting, and not without precedent. In the Marvel Ultimate Universe comics., Nick Cage is a black man obviously modeled by Samuel Jackson.

There's has been (is?) a black Green Lantern. And there are multiple versions of lots of comics characters all varying in race and gender depending upon universe, and story arch. That said, a black Johnny Storm based on the Fantastic Four canon is really silly. But then again FOX has really turned out some stinker movies compared to Marvel Studios so I'm not surprised.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I hear the mice are having this feud with the ducks over mightly mouse.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:09 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
She sounds like an immature idiot with the way she talks. Nothing she says is of interest to me. "Minority" superheroes?

Man, this stuff is ridiculous.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:37 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
People should calm themselves and not judge harshly over a comment like that. I don't think she has said something THAT wrong.

Super hero is something personal. Everybody's personal hero is different. My personal real life heroes are my brother, Vincent van Gogh, and Ernest Hemingway. My fictional super hero is Superman.

Every human being has an origin story. Every person carries a unique past and experiences that color their present character and behavior.

My brother served in the Marine Corps back in the 90s, he's tall, dark, handsome, and he was a Force Recon Marine and because of that, he was my bragging right when I was a kid. He is now the owner of a very successful business, he is one of the best in his field. He's very kind, and always ready to help somebody who are in need.

Why do I like superman? well, because superheroes are not so different from regular people. Loneliness is a big factor for Superman. Although well-loved by his Earth parents, the fact remains that he is the only one of his kind on the planet. Being sent to Earth by his parents immediately after birth. This forced him to adapt to the Earth’s atmosphere which made him stronger and more powerful. It also forced him to spend most of his life trying to figure out who he really is, where he belongs, and coping with the fact that he is different from everyone else. I was born in the United states, but was sent overseas to study. I am racially mixed, so Yes, I am also one of a kind. Superman might be a white male, I as a racially mixed girl can relate to that character. So what?

All these very human characteristics are commonly shared by people all over the world. That is why all these superheroes are so loved. The comic-hero-as-social-outcast is a cliché at this point. But it allows readers to feel empathy for the main characters.

It is petty and stupid to concentrate on the racial identity of a fictional superhero.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
If there aren't enough minority superheroes isn't it up to the comic book creators to draw them that way? It's not like these superheroes are an original idea by Hollywood screenwriters. Has anyone asked the comic book creators?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Alternate versions of superheroes, like Miles Morales, the Afro-Latino Spiderman, and the female Thor also seem a bit wrong to me. While not technically the original characters, it still comes across as heavy handed. In theory, it's a nice compromise, but it just rings hollow to me. We've had 'traditional' 'good' black/women superheroes for a while now (Black Panther, The Falcon, Catwoman, etc.) I don't feel we need to infringe on other identities just to 'diversify'. If more representation is needed, just create more characters.
Well said. Changing the ethnicity (gender, sexual identity, etc.) of established characters does seem to be nothing more than pandering from an industry ashamed that our oldest and most well-known characters are all white.

Lets see more diversity in new characters, rather than trying to shoehorn new identities into characters we all know. Or use the characters that are already out there. There are a good number of existing minority characters in comics to draw from; let's dig into that. We're getting a Black Panther movie in a few years. I'd love to see a Blade reboot. Give War Machine a bigger role in Avengers 2. Use John Stewart as Green Lantern rather than Hal Jordan (alternate Green Lanterns makes sense and doesn't feel forced, IMO).

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Of all the idiotic threads on POC , this one ranks pretty high. Next up: D list actresses who dress their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies