Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homosexuality a choice?
Yes it is. 30 24.19%
No, you are born that way. 94 75.81%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:09 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
A simple yes or no will suffice, but you can leave an explanation if you wish.
both.
it should answer some questions:

read this:
http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/sexualorientation.html

the questions at the end will refer to this article a bit.

Your genes make you more predisposed where you may like certain things more than others.-nature
then growing up you hang out with certain groups that nurture that aspect-nuture.
While you choose to act upon what you like.-choice

we both do not exactly have control upon what our surroundings and genes are like

I'd say 30% choice
and 70% genetics and environment

Still though your choice to act upon the last 30%.

graphic...

[MOD CUT/crude]

I think bi-sexuals would be more logical since they can love anyone they want instead.
but then bi's are called by gays lesbians and straights as traitors.

Well I am a hetero though-but do not hate any group-except trans

Reason is because I cannot respect anyone that hates their own bodies to that extent.
Nature/God gave you that body and now just MAKE due with it instead of cutting parts off.
ps: I don't exactly respect people that do lots of cosmetic surgery as a result

what if trans were gay-men dressing as women to date straight men?
or women dressing as men to date straight women?

straight men dressing as women to date lesbian women?
straight women dressing as men to date gay men?

see the problem?
that's why I cannot accept trans too easily either = DECEPTION

I can accept gays/lesbians if they are just good people.
but I will respect bi's reasons more so than gays/lesbians/trans

also question for
Women after menopause?
since their estrogen count goes down tremendously do they still like men?

for lesbian women? less estrogen or more? more testosterone?
gay men as well? more estrogen I assume? and less testosterone?

the science article has suggestions of this btw

trans as well?- why do you want to take pills to make you feel a certain way...?
*shakes head*
sorry...no.
btw more men want to dress as women.

women dressing as men is actually fine- we don't really care and men find some tom boys sexy.
we can tell the difference
men though should not dress as women...that's were most of the problems lay.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-06-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 07:13 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Your hardwired sexual preference? No.

Acting on it? Yes. People of varying sexual orientations have chosen celibacy for various reasons. Some are just asexual and give no....cares.
This. What your brain likes is what your brain likes. It's up to you to put your genitals on it.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:14 AM

21 posts, read 22,306 times
I can't click your "yes or no". Here is why. It's wrong. Not everyone is the same. Why narrow them into one bunch? Things in life change as well. I was married with 3 children. Never looked at women. Now I am in my 50's and have "become" a lesbian. It was a choice I made. Now, my partner, she has been gay for as long as she can remember. Was it a choice, absolutely not. So, lets remember we are talking about human beings. Everyone is different. There is no "right" answer.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:22 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
so answering the OPs question the way the OP wants it answered determines ones "intellegence"?

interesting

Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Simply masturbating doesn't automatically make you bisexual. A guy having sex with another man certainly does.
Not necessarily. Putting one's pole into position doesn't determine the sexuality, it just means that a rod went down the hole, oftentimes in repetitive motions.

What determines the sexuality is whether or not you were attracted to the thing you were stuffing like a thanksgiving turkey.

With extra glaze.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Interesting the attempts to force-fit such "either/or" thinking to such issues as sexuality. Could it be a choice for some and something hard-wired for others? For that matter, what real difference does it make?

Heck, while we're at it: is monogamy a 'choice'?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Heck, while we're at it: is monogamy a 'choice'?
Absolutely.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
It's a mental illness that some people are born with.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's a mental illness that some people are born with.
Like breathing.

Or touching things.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
I clicked yes because for some people, it is a choice, pure and simple. Plus, when I see hamfisted polls like this, I like choosing the answer the author disagrees with simply because I can make a logical case for why their poll is idiotic and hamfisted.

Homosexual orientation can be genetic, and it can also be chosen based on life experience, culture, relationships, etc. Differs according to the individual. Homosexual sex is a choice period, because all consensual sex is a choice, and a rape does not define your sexuality anymore than being mugged defines your economic status.

So given the "I want to insult people who disagree with me, and will therefore make a very crude, blunt poll that can allow me to do so" nature of the poll, I chose yes, because there's all sorts of choice going in the realm of homosexuality, and since no one particular aspect of the subject was defined, yes is the more logical choice for such an absurd binary meant to cover such a complex issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies