Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: walmart good bad or over
EVIL WALLYWORD 29 38.16%
GOOD WALLYWORLD 28 36.84%
I just go elsewhere 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Nope, "we" all do NOT shop there....haven't been in one in years...

But OTHERS may shop there despite what it has done to America and Americans....cheap Asian crap, low wages, sex discrimination, free land paid for with our taxes, putting small local businesses out of business, tax breaks despite being one of the biggest/wealthiest retailers in the world....pigs.
Over a million Americans wake up every work day and decide that the highest and best use of their day is to sell their labor to Walmart. It is the best job they can find, or they wouldn't show up for work. For these million people, it is not "low wages" but the best available wages.

Every week, over 100 million Americans shop at Walmart. You can think what you want about the merchandise, but 100 million people are votig with their wallets. When I see the low price for a pair of children's shoes, and remember how much my folks had to pay for my shoes when I was a kid, I realize what a blessing Walmart is to young families today.

The scale of business has been rising for all of human history, and the margins earned by businesses have been going down for all of human history. If we had a choice, we would not support a tiny neighborhood grocery store every six blocks, next to the tiny drugstore, next to the shoe repair shop--it would cost a fortune to pay all that overhead.

I don't merely tolerate Walmart, I love it and what it has done for the average person.

I do hate all economic development giveaways, and wish they were illegal across the country. But I can't fault Walmart for seeking legal benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 PM

406 posts, read 495,688 times
Quote:
Well you just gave another good reason to think of Walmart as evil...they lower wages of their employees, which causes other wages to go lower and then no one can shop anywhere but Walmart....nice evil stranglehold.....but while you're shopping there remember the huge tax breaks this behemoth got that you will never get and WILL have to subsidize....SOMEBODY has to make up for the taxes they don't pay....or services suffer.

PS, you obviously haven't walked in my (much younger) shoes either....how lucky you are to be able to afford to go to Walmart.
That Assistant Manager that won't help you makes around $55,000 a year. The amount of money the evil giant pays your local city in sales taxes doesn't benefit you? Let's see the average store makes $75 million a year.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wal-Mart is evil.

They are the closest thing we have today to the East India Tea Company, and I seem to remember that particular business starting a little thing called the American Revolution.

Wal-mart is Evil.
What a silly thing to say. The East India tea company had nothing to do with the Boston Tea party. The Boston Tea party was caused by taxes levied on tea by the British government, not because tea was too expensive. It could have just as easily been taxes on almost anything.

Do you know why the British raised taxes on the tea? Because it was heavily in debt from the French Indian war, which was seen by the British to have been an expense to help defend the American colonies from France, and so the American colonies should have to pay for the cost of the war. Doesn't seem like it was too bad right?

Well the Americans felt like they shouldn't have to pay for a war that was fought on their behalf since they didn't actually vote to go to war. Nor did the Americans have any representation in the British parliament. Why should Americans be liable to pay back the cost of the war they didn't even want?(reminds me of how Iraqi's were supposed to pay back the cost of the war they didn't want, through the sale of their oil)

As for Wal-mart. I used to think Wal-mart was evil and economically damaging, but it really isn't. It will distort the value of our currency and wages, but it really has nothing but positive effects on our economy.

You have to look at the actual economic impact of Wal-mart to really understand what I mean.

It is true that Wal-mart tends to push wages down slightly. As it drives out competitors who usually have higher wages and/or benefits. It is also true that Wal-mart has been driving many American manufacturers out of business(especially manufacturers which are union based), as it buys its goods from non-union manufacturers and from low-wage countries.

You have to understand that wages mean nothing, they have to be compared to the cost of living. In many European countries, wages are very high, but the cost of living is ridiculous. By choosing to pay more for the same item, you are only hurting yourself, and you are not truly helping the economy at all. You have to stop looking at dollars, and start looking at what goods and services you can get for your dollars.

Look at it like this, take banana's. America imports almost all of its bananas. These banana's come mostly from Central and South America. So tons of our money is being pumped into all of these "Banana Republics". So is that a good thing or a bad thing? If you think imports from China are bad then you should believe that imports from Ecuador should also be bad.

So, what should we do about it? Well, we could start growing our own bananas. We could build tons of hot boxes all over this country so we can grow all the bananas that we need right here in this country. It would produce jobs and keep our money here. So would that be a good thing or a bad thing? It would cause the price of banana's to go through the roof, so would that make economic sense? No. Because trying to artificially elevate American incomes by being wasteful and inefficient is stupid. If we create a system which increases the cost of bananas to consumers, we all lose. And if we increase the cost of anything else to consumers, it is exactly the same.

The problem with most people is that they think that life is a zero-sum game. They believe if one party benefits then the other must lose. But in capitalism both parties can benefit.

Look at it like this, lets pretend that you have a dollar and I have a hamburger. We make a deal where you will buy my hamburger for $1. Who benefits from that transaction? A lot of people will think that only the person who received the dollar benefited, but the truth is, we both benefited. A lot of people only see dollars, but money means nothing. What matters is goods and services, and how many you can buy with your dollars.

Right now China is actually subsidizing their manufacturing, and they are artificially keeping their currency at a low value to try to promote its manufacturing and exports. I know this sounds bad for us right? We get low-cost goods but lose our high-paying jobs, bad bad bad? Well the truth is, the people of China are actually paying so you can have cheap goods. The people of China are working like slaves in difficult professions, so you can get some easy job that might pay less, but you can buy more stuff with your money. You should be thanking China, not attacking them.

Eventually there will come a time when there must be equilibrium. At some point the Chinese yuan will increase in value, China will stop being a competitive manufacturer, and it will again become economically beneficial for America to produce more of its own goods(America is still the largest manufacturer in the world, and wouldn't fall anymore than to #2 for at least the next 50 years, if ever. India has a really really long ways to go).

The truth is there are only two reasons to truly hate Wal-mart.

1) If you a Wal-mart competitor or work in manufacturing, especially a union job, where you want job security and increased pay at everyone elses expense.

2) You are afraid that red China will become too powerful, and because the United States is so far ahead from China economically. Without trade with the United States, China's buildup into a first-world superpower will take much longer(basically, you want to keep the Chinese people impoverished so you feel better about yourself).

It is not, I repeat, it is not because you actually want to help America.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-27-2010 at 11:08 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
how can you make a pair of quality steel toed leather work boots send them here from china and sell them for 22 dollars? (and make money)
prison labor its the only way.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Walmart has been called the "Evil Empire" for at least ten years, by unions and (privately) by competitors. For years, Chicago only had one within the city limits, but now looks like they will get another one. It will bring not just much-needed jobs to the neighborhood but also a place to get decent food.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
how can you make a pair of quality steel toed leather work boots send them here from china and sell them for 22 dollars? (and make money)
prison labor its the only way.
The average income in Chinese cities is three times the income of the rural areas. Millions have migrated from the grinding poverty of the subsistence farm (fish heads and rice, anyone?) to make a better life in the big city. And the workers send a significant fraction of their pay back to the village or farm.

The wealth of the whole world, and of the US, is increased by free trade.

The losers are low-skilled US workers who are no longer able to be paid more than their skills are worth. The winners in the US include everybody else--we pay less for everything we need, and we get more for everything we sell because of trade.

The message to US workers is, you better find ways to be more valuable to society--get skills, get education, get work ethic, get in the game.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Your right I haven't and am thankful I don't have to do this all over again in these times.
Get a good education. You will need it. Its the best advice I can give to the younger generation.
I think you misunderstood me. By "much younger" I meant when I was much younger I ,too went through hard times where I couldn't have afforded to go to Walmart.

PS: I am NOT the younger generation and am so thankful I'm not with where this country is heading...right to Third World Status with Walmart aiding, abetting, cheering it on.

Their motto/Mission Staement: "Make Cheap crap by ripping off Asians workers , pay low wages so poor Americans can't shop anywhere else and WE WIN!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Well you just gave another good reason to think of Walmart as evil...they lower wages of their employees, which causes other wages to go lower
Exactly how much do you think the part-timer working the register at the local Mom&Pop store made before WalMart came to town? I'm guessing min wage or close to it, with less bennies than WalMart.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Make Cheap crap by ripping off Asians workers
Ripping off? As marcopolo mentioned, the average Chinese who lands a job at a factory is doing way better than back at the village. I recently read a Chinese article that said that one person makes as much cash in three months as their family makes back at the village farming in an entire year. People don't voluntarily travel hundreds of miles and leave their children back at the nongcun to be raised by grandparents so they can be ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies