Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: walmart good bad or over
EVIL WALLYWORD 29 38.16%
GOOD WALLYWORLD 28 36.84%
I just go elsewhere 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,366 times

Advertisements

Is it me or is walmart really a evil that we just tolerate for cheap prices. I mean we all complain about it but we all shop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 03:00 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
I shop at Meijer's. I support the standard of living that makes America-America, which is the middle class.

Everyone complains the middle class is evaporating but continues to buy the cheaper goods which is China, India, Tawain and so forth. Contradictory? I think so. Some times you have to spend a little more to support local, union, state, coutry businesses but it's well worth it to keep the standard of living.

Pretty soon we're gonna have to kick the illegal immigrants/undocumented workers out to take up jobs. (sorry...ranting away....)

Old 11-06-2006, 03:07 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Wal-Mart is evil.

They are the closest thing we have today to the East India Tea Company, and I seem to remember that particular business starting a little thing called the American Revolution.

Wal-mart is Evil.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
http://www.walmartmovie.com/

I never shopped Walmart until I moved here. As it is, I've only been there about 4 times in the last year. (There is literally only one grocery store in my town of 5,000, and it is a rip-ff.)
When we leave, I'll never shop Walmart again.
Check out the movie: The High Cost Of Low Price.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:42 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
I have never shopped there and I encourage all the people I know not to shop there!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
They are the closest thing we have today to the East India Tea Company, and I seem to remember that particular business starting a little thing called the American Revolution.
So true, good perspective...never thought of it that way!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wal-Mart is evil.

Wal-mart is Evil.
IN time I think walmart will start a revolt I think they know it too as they have started a big walmrt is good campain

Old 11-06-2006, 04:37 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I rarely shop at WalMart. I don't not shop there because it's a big bad business, but because I fear their policy of inserting RFID radio tags into products and clothing without disclosure. When my parents were here in June, my mother wanted to go grocery shopping and we got in my truck and she asked: "where's WalMart?"... I was pretty surprised. I never pictured her as being a WalMart shopper. But, I took her where she wanted to go. I just don't trust WalMart produce. I used to shop there a lot when I lived in the SF Bay Area back in the late 90's as I had bought a new home and didn't have much of a budget, so I went to WalMart a lot. The TV I'm watching right now in my TV room is a WalMart purchase. It even has a VCR built in! That tells you how old it is I don't agree with how WalMart has treated its employees. I despise the stores around the nation who have actually locked doors and insisted their employees work off the clock after their shifts. That is illegal and I believe that WalMart has already had to pay out over $100 million dollars in restitution from those multiple lawsuits all over the USA. I despise that they cut benefits for medical, or try to squeeze longterm full-time employees into part-time employees to deprive them of benefits or induce them to quit with bad schedules. I think if ever a Union was a good thing, it would be a good thing at WalMart. WalMart should unionize. I'm normally an anti-Union man. I think in the long run they ruin businesses (the car industry for one). But, in this case, they would check the maniac mistreatment of 1,300,000 Americans who are working for them. Someone needs to introduce the union into WalMart and then get them to vote it in.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Target, yet. Usually every time these rants start against Walmart, someone will say, "Walmart products are so bad, I'd rather shop at Target."

Well, let me tell yhou all about my most recent experience with Wally World and Tarzjay --

I wanted a toaster oven for the RV and looked everywhere. It had to be a certain size and configuration to fit the space I had. After much research, I decided the Hamilton Beach Toastation was the best model for my needs. I saw that Target was one of the resellers so after a search of a couple of Target stores, I found one for $39.99. I bought it.

The next week, I found the exact same model in a Walmart for $34.88.

Now, if you had that knowledge ahead of time, where would you buy it?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
We don't have a Target in our town, but we have a Super Walmart. We did shop there when they first moved in, but NO more. We go to a store that is locally owned and watch their specials and use their bonus stamps they give us every time we buy 5.00 worth of merchandise. They have good, quality fruits and veggies.

We know a young gal in town who had twins and her Mom wanted to take a week of her vacation and had asked them earlier if that would be ok. Well, when baby time came, they were rude and told her, "You'll take your vacation when WE say you can take it." I've known several people who have worked there and quit and they've only been here about 6 years.

I've been to sites where ex Walmart employees have told of their experiences there. Some are probably just complaining about a past employer, but I'd say the majority of them have a legit reason for despising the empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies