Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the appropriate punishment for the student who gave his english teacher a marijuana cookie?
Nothing - It's a harmless prank 12 10.53%
Suspension 30 26.32%
Expulsion 28 24.56%
File charges of food tampering - up to 10 years in prison. 44 38.60%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:43 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This wasn't a kid. It was an 18 year old adult, who happened to violate the basic human rights of another. This is exactly why we have a judicial system. If you want to argue that the criminal justice system is broken or poorly managed, start a new topic. I'm not advocating that we make an example of him. I do think he should be treated like any other criminal on his level.
Have you ever met an 18 year old? They aren't adults. Just because the law says they are, does not mean they are.

He should be punished accordingly. But prison is not reasonable. It's cruel and unnecessary. If prison is not necessary, it should not be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 08:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Have you ever met an 18 year old? They aren't adults. Just because the law says they are, does not mean they are.

He should be punished accordingly. But prison is not reasonable. It's cruel and unnecessary. If prison is not necessary, it should not be used.
But some on this board have no problem with ruining a kids life over one mistake. Pathetic.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
This wasn't a kid. It was an 18 year old adult, who happened to violate the basic human rights of another. This is exactly why we have a judicial system. If you want to argue that the criminal justice system is broken or poorly managed, start a new topic. I'm not advocating that we make an example of him. I do think he should be treated like any other criminal on his level.
Good Lord!

You guys are going on as if he laced the damn cookie with cyanide.

Unreal.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:52 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good Lord!

Unreal.
The dude suddenly came down with strong and inexplicable physical and mental symptoms and probably thought he was dying or horribly ill. He didn't realize what was happening. We know this because he went to the hospital (he wouldn't have if he recognized the high and realized the cookie could have been spiked with pot). Neither, you, me, him or any of us posting here - bar people who survived a stroke / heart attack / etc. have likely every been so afraid in our lives.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
The dude suddenly came down with strong and inexplicable physical and mental symptoms and probably thought he was dying or horribly ill. He didn't realize what was happening. We know this because he went to the hospital (he wouldn't have if he recognized the high and realized the cookie could have been spiked with pot). Neither, you, me, him or any of us posting here - bar people who survived a stroke / heart attack / etc. have likely every been so afraid in our lives.
The article does not imply that the teacher thought he was dying. It implies that he felt sick and thought it best to make sure nothing was wrong, as he should have done regardless of the situation. I feel as though the article the OP posted would have mentioned if he (the teacher) thought he was dying or if he was close to dying. The fact that nothing of the sort was even mentioned, leads me to believe the teacher was actually doing pretty ok.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:59 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, using your logic, beef is poison.

And a lot of other substances.
It is.. I dont eat it,, vegan almost every year of my existence

Yep..pot is poison... maybe not granny 12 plant if she really follows organic principles,, but that's not what we find in grows here in the Emerald triangle.... anything and everything goes into a witches brew to grow the "best" pot around

Maybe it should be changed to Pot with chemicals almost guaranteed....

Yum.. rotodane... yum... mold.. yum every chemical known to man.. yum.. other drugs sprayed on it

You have no clue.. really you have no idea...what is in MJ,, there's no standards.. no purity... no checks and balances... just thanks dude,,,

Roll one up and kill some more braincells... vape it and kill some more... chemically distill it .. now that's really a good way to kill yourself

When we were going through restrictions here we had stoners trying to convince county health that MJ cured anything and everything and wasn't harmful at all.. it was hilarious watching them make fools of themselves with half baked bunk they read on some stoner site... you could literally see the negative effects that chronic use was having real time

I liked reading the stoner sites about how to avoid bad dope... and the issues people were having getting sprayed MJ... its not as if people who use drugs aspire to be rocket scientists,,, oh..I know the "list"... more stupid people who are good at what they do.. Somehow I just bet they get good MJ....

Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good Lord!

Unreal.
Many people react differently to drugs. The results could have been worse. The fanfare and mild nature of the drug contained in the cookie is largely irrelevant. It's a schedule one drug according to the government/law, and this grown ass adult tricked an expecting victim into consuming it. And no, the validity of the scheduling of marijuana has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Common sense stuff here folks... Don't give illegal substances to other people and we will all get along just fine. Is that asking too much in America???

Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Many people react differently to drugs. The results could have been worse. The fanfare and mild nature of the drug contained in the cookie is largely irrelevant. It's a schedule one drug according to the government/law, and this grown ass adult tricked an expecting victim into consuming it. And no, the validity of the scheduling of marijuana has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Common sense stuff here folks... Don't give illegal substances to other people and we will all get along just fine. Is that asking too much in America???

yep that's true, some on here would lead you to believe that she could have eaten a homeless mans face off..

Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
At the very least the kid needs to learn how to make the cookies better if they are making people sick. Too much THC in the mix or whatever the case may be.

If I was given a marijuana cookie by a student and it was properly prepared and they hadn't told me.. personally I'd just keep my mouth shut, warn them that not everyone is as open as I am and they could get themselves in trouble with the law if they did this to the wrong person, then thanked them for the nice high and gone about my day.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
So now your argument is that the teacher should have expected it? Unreal. This whole thread makes me question my entire political philosophy. Perhaps the nanny-staters have been right all along. The people themselves cannot be trusted to look after their own welfare and be resposnible enough to make their own decisions.. They are quite simply, too immature and need someone to hold their hand and guide them through life, much in the same way a parent does for a small child....
Quote:
How about we don't give ANY substance, legal or not, to anyone without their consent? Antifreeze is legal, and that will kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies