Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:46 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Congratulations! You've been successfully brainwashed by the media. Not jobs blowing away random people is so rare it's a statistical anomaly, but the media focusing on it 24x7 for weeks and months on the rare times it happens gives some people the perception it is a common occurrence, but it isn't. You're more likely to be shot by a police officer than some random 'nut job'.

Yep! You are more likely to die from a fall than be killed by a gun...

Injury Facts Chart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No harm calling the Police.
Nope, none at all.

Cops shoot and kill man holding toy gun in Wal-Mart | MSNBC

There's no chance that something could go wrong.

Erik Scott's death: what happens in the LVMPD, stays in the LVMPD | Cop Block

When you call the police and report "a man with a gun", they're working under the assumption that the person is a threat, or at least that you believe them to be. That puts that persons life in danger, and in the case of the Walmart incident, a female bystander had a heart attack and died because of the commotion.

Your blase, "just call the cops and let them sort it out" attitude can literally get people killed.

I swear, people don't THINK about things anymore.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep! You are more likely to die from a fall than be killed by a gun...

Injury Facts Chart
This "more likely" crap is ridiculous.

I'd rather not die from either.

Just because something is likelier than something else, that doesn't absolve the less likelier from it's unpleasantness.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
This "more likely" crap is ridiculous.

I'd rather not die from either.

Just because something is likelier than something else, that doesn't absolve the less likelier from it's unpleasantness.
I never said it was....

I would rather not die from anything on that list....

Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This is an example of someone with extremely poor judgment and zero sensitivity. There are a lot of things that are "legal" that still require common sense. What is the point of walking around with a gun sticking out of your pants in a school other than to impress people with your inappropriate choices and poor judgment? You want to go to a gun show looking like Rambo--go ahead, but if you choose to play Ahnuld in a school or Starbucks, expect people to be appalled.

People are not required to exhibit "sensitivity" to exercise the freedom to carry openly, any more than they're required to exercise sensitivity in exercising First Amendment rights. The people wigging out were the ones in the wrong here, not that man.

Give me a break.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
People are not required to exhibit "sensitivity" to exercise the freedom to carry openly, any more than they're required to exercise sensitivity in exercising First Amendment rights. The people wigging out were the ones in the wrong here, not that man.

Give me a break.
Give you a break? How about the open-carry crazies give society a break? God forbid they act sensitively as they apparently are not able to do that--but open-carry nuts then do not have the right to be "outraged" over some one calling the cops. Geez--does the phrase "school shootings" ring any bells at all?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The guy is making a point. You can't tell me that wearing a pistol strapped to your hip at a school recital was strictly for self protection.
In the gun world it's called "stampeding the sheep" and is a known political tactic.
We had a guy in Arizona who repeatedly walked around the Phoenix airport with an AR15 rifle, with mag in. He wasn't there to fly, he wasn't there to buy a ticket, he was just there for no other reason than to shove his AR15 in everybody's faces and "stampede the sheep".
The Texas open carry group do the same thing, repeatedly for no particular reason than to "stampede the sheep" they specifically pick spots that will have the highest impact and freak out the most people.
What they are actually trying to achieve is universal acceptance of a society where everyone walks around with guns and nobody cares. As if that is ever going to happen. First impulse for the average shopper when they see a guy toting an AR15 at the mall is to run like hell after they clear their heart out of their throat. That ain't going to change..........ever. Legal or not.

After 35 years of owning, collecting guns, buying and selling all varieties and types, I've dealt with every spectrum of the gun owning community. What I've come to conclude for some gun owners is they're always afraid. I've not been able to figure out whether they were afraid and that's what makes them want to parade around with guns or whether they got their guns and are afraid someone is going to take them away. In any case many of them are the most paranoid individuals in our society. They give legal, sane gun owners a bad name and in the end will be the most responsible for anti gun reactionary laws just by their impulsive actions.
If I went to that school recital and felt the need for protection, i would have carried concealed, and I mean deep concealment. That way no one would be the wiser. The mom's and teachers could have all relaxed and enjoyed the show and I'd feel safe. Although I've never felt the need to carry a weapon on a school grounds. I keep it in the car.
Great post. Really great.

While it's legal....there are lots of things that are legal but are still d*ckhead moves.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
DiBlassio should lose his job. After the police came and told him that what the man was doing was legal, he got up on stage and tried to shame the man in front of the entire audience. And then posted the guy's picture and name on FB.
School Choir Director And College Professor FREAK OUT And Call The Cops On Man Legally Carrying A Gun
Fire him? I think he should be commended. Thank god someone had the common sense to call out an idiot who would carry a gun into a school event after all the tragedies, deaths and trauma that mass shooters have caused in schools. Simply because something is legal is not cause for inappropriate behavior. What idiot carries a gun into a school event?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Give you a break? How about the open-carry crazies give society a break? God forbid they act sensitively as they apparently are not able to do that--but open-carry nuts then do not have the right to be "outraged" over some one calling the cops. Geez--does the phrase "school shootings" ring any bells at all?
Cuz the "Open carry crazies" are all over the news...whew....glad we figured that out...

Why should the "open carry crazies" care about sensitivity? The calling the cops on him is sensitive, because you don't like it....lol....

Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Fire him? I think he should be commended. Thank god someone had the common sense to call out an idiot who would carry a gun into a school event after all the tragedies, deaths and trauma that mass shooters have caused in schools. Simply because something is legal is not cause for inappropriate behavior. What idiot carries a gun into a school event?
Talk about going to the worst absolute fear mongering....congrats! You have been thoroughly brain washed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies