Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes they can.. There isnt a state in the country someone who is gay, cant adopt...

As a couple yes, thats true, but thats also true for straights. They arent treated any different in regards to adoption.
I'm not so good with links on my phone. There are states where singles can not adopt. If you can't marry, you are then single. Even where legal there are agencies that won't deal with non married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
The couple’s attempts at adopting have been stopped by regulations requiring that guns and ammunition be stored in separate, secure containers in any home where foster children reside.

Apparently not heartbroken enough to adhere to the regulations.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Maybe we should ban people with swimming pools from having foster children.
Or comply with the regulations that require adequate fencing and locks around said swimming pools.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not so good with links on my phone. There are states where singles can not adopt. If you can't marry, you are then single. Even where legal there are agencies that won't deal with non married.
agencies will establish their own rules, and there are agencies that wont adopt non married individuals, but not all.

I was unmarried when I adopted, more than 1/2 of them wouldnt take me as a client.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:17 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They werent denied for not securing their gun, they were denied for having a PERMIT..

Ding ding and fri ckin ding! But the notorious anti gun posters overlook that fact and dwell on the assumption that these people are demanding they be allowed to lay their gun loaded on the kitchen table which is not the case.

I read the article 2 times and nowhere did these people mention they were demanding the right to leave guns laying around the house. They are simply being persecuted for being gun owners because they have concealed carry permit.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The couple’s attempts at adopting have been stopped by regulations requiring that guns and ammunition be stored in separate, secure containers in any home where foster children reside.

Not because they have guns. Because they have loaded guns. Obviously you just comply for the inspection, and then switch it back once nobody's looking...

Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Look it's not like this is some new infringement on the second amendment. It is the law of the land in most states to a varying degree. These guy's show a trigger lock and a lock box for their mag and they can adopt half of East LA if they so chose. There's already a bill in the Nevada Legislature to address this situation.

Bottom line, each state sets the criteria for foster parents. That criteria may include but is not limited to, safe, secure gun storage. To date in this thread, nobody has shown the section of the Nevada law that say's all concealed carry permit holders are forbidden from fostering children. Until someone does, I will continue to believe there are other mitigating circumstances.

In any case, here is a thumbnail of state's stand on guns and foster care. Note that many of these restrictions have been in place for decades.

State reporting no regulation concerning
firearms in foster homes:

Pennsylvania

States with a general safety requirement,
with no specific mention of weapons:

Delaware

States requiring “reasonable protection”
from weapons, but no specific requirements:

Hawaii

States requiring safe storage or locking, but
no specific requirements:

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Florida
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana
Minnesota
Missouri
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Virginia
West Virginia
Wyoming
"Firearms in Foster Homes NRCFCPPP"

States requiring foster parents to keep
weapons (and other dangerous items) out of
reach of children, with specific safety
measures spelled out:

Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
D.C.
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Dakota
Tennessee
Utah
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

States discouraging the presence of
firearms in the home:

Colorado
Connecticut

No information located:
Mississippi
Alabama
Alabama Department of Human Resources Social Services Division Administrative Code

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/socwork/n...ster_Homes.pdf

Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
When I was a foster parent, we had home visits every four weeks without fail. When I had two kids at the same time, that meant visits twice a month since they were placed at different times.
I don't know if our agency was particularly pro-active, but that was the standard.

As for how this agency knew that this couple didn't/wouldn't secure their guns, it could have been as simple as asking if they had a gun safe and if not, whether they would be willing to buy one.
If both of the answers were "no" that would have been enough to produce this decision.
Glad to hear it I wish more people would foster instead of critiquing others so they know what they speak about. But such is life...

Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
To date in this thread, nobody has shown the section of the Nevada law that say's all concealed carry permit holders are forbidden from fostering children. Until someone does, I will continue to believe there are other mitigating circumstances.
Good points...

Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
The refusal is derived from this. NAC: CHAPTER 424 - FOSTER HOMES FOR CHILDREN

Quote:
NAC 424.600 Weapons and ammunition.
Any weapons, such as firearms, air rifles, bows, hunting knives or hunting sling shots, shall be unstrung and unloaded at all times when children are in the home. They shall be stored in locked containers or rooms out of the reach of children or made inoperable. Ammunition and arrows shall be stored in separate locked containers. Weapons shall not be transported in any vehicle in which children are riding unless the weapons are made inoperable and inaccessible.
How does one comply with that regulation and concealed carry? Simple you cannot it's a defacto prohibition. Were it to explicitly state CWP is prohibited then the intentions are clear, however since the language is not so clear then we cannot state the intention was to prohibit CWP from foster parents, but we cannot state with any certainty that it was not the intent either.

Any time that the foster child is present in the home or in a vehicle all firearms must be stored in locked containers, and inoperable no exceptions. At home all firearms must be stored locked and inoperable in a container, and ammunition must be stored in a locked and separate location.

This is why cops cannot foster kids in Nevada, consider how a concealed carry civilian could possibly comply with that reasonably and realistically? You cannot unlock either container if the child is in the home (the regulation is at all times) or you violate the regulation. Indeed, if for some reason a cop wishes to come into the home of a Nevada Foster Family, the family must make the cop leave his firearm in the car, or, dispossess the cop of the firearm, make it safe, and store ammunition and firearm in separate locked containers, prior to the cop entering or they are in violation of this regulation.

That is the issue, how it played out is likely the foster services or agency ran a background, found out that the prospective parents were CWP holders, told those parents they could not CWP if they fostered and then the whole thing blew up from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies