Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,490,376 times

Advertisements

YouTube - "I Learned It By Watching You" Anti-Drug PSA

YouTube - Star Wars PSA: Vader Dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM

365 posts, read 697,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
VALUES education has become so fashionable in the last year that it is rapidly overtaking cultural literacy, computer literacy, process writing and critical thinking as the educational fad of choice.

VALUES education has become so fashionable in the last year that it is rapidly overtaking cultural literacy, computer literacy, process writing and critical thinking as the educational fad of choice.

Here in New Jersey, the Governor has appointed a blue ribbon panel of educators, business, religious and government leaders to define ''a common core of enduring values which all New Jerseyans believe should be promoted.'' In the State Legislature, a bill was introduced that would encourage the development of character education curriculum in public school districts. At the national level, a policy panel of the 97,000-member Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development recently concluded that ''schools have an obligation to teach values to students.''

NEW JERSEY OPINION; Can Values Be Taught in Schools? - New York Times
well here in Florida's public schools the teachers are using their cell phones to seduce 14 year old male students through text messaging, I think its a good idea to teach kids values in schools, just depends on who does the teaching... AND what/where the values come from....

Old 01-11-2008, 04:09 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Yes, but they need to be generic values. Respect for other people, actions that do no harm, fairness and honesty, generosity and co-operation, things like that. Values are self-evident, and it is counterproductive to try to associate a natural value with a credo or a dogma.

Years ago, when I was raising a child, I found an intresting book entitled "Raising a Moral Child". It tried to define 'moral' in a way that was not culturally skewed. Most importantly, it stressed that Morality does NOT necessarily involve obeying authority or conforming with orthodoxy, but it is self-serving for schools to teach that it does.

A great majority of people, I believe, possess a fundamental conscience and intuitively feel badly when they cause other people physical or emotional discomfort. School should be structured so that this sensitivity is reinforced, so children are not inclined to deviate and adulate bullies as role models. Children already come to school with a positive sense of morality, and all the school needs to do is to make them feel good about expressing it.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,708,287 times
I don't think government should be in the education business. If I had my way, private schools would be able to teach whatever they want, and people could choose what school to send their kid to based on what a particular school taught.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,054,776 times
There's no such thing as values, only consequences for actions. If you can teach kids about that, fine... but other than that, morality is mostly just religious stuff that doesn't belong in a public school. Some of the values people believe, like lying is generally bad, stealing is bad, are based on self-evident stuff (Kantian imperatives). Other values are nothing more than religious beliefs and indoctrination masquerading as ethics.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
I don't think government should be in the education business. If I had my way, private schools would be able to teach whatever they want, and people could choose what school to send their kid to based on what a particular school taught.
Would you send your kid to the Mobil-Exxon school, or the WalMart school? Who do you think will pay for these private schools, if not the corporations that have the big money and self-serving interest in kids as consumers? Or maybe the Lockheed-Martin school, to learn to support the military-industrial complex. Or maybe the News-Corp school, since you want a choice.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,126,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Some kids would go to the "white power" KKK school, others to the "it's OK to marry ten women" school, others to the "my God is good, yours is bad" school, etc. With everyone learning something different, we don't stand a chance of staying together as a society, much less a country.

Government (as a consensus of the population, not the evil I think you're inferring) should be in the business of setting standards for education without any moral or religious implications. Specialized schools for careers in various fields would also be encouraged and attended by children and young adults who show interest or excel in such subjects.

Of course, if we handed out the book "Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten" instead, maybe this discussion would be unnecessary!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Some kids would go to the "white power" KKK school, others to the "it's OK to marry ten women" school, others to the "my God is good, yours is bad" school, etc. With everyone learning something different, we don't stand a chance of staying together as a society, much less a country.

Government (as a consensus of the population, not the evil I think you're inferring) should be in the business of setting standards for education without any moral or religious implications. Specialized schools for careers in various fields would also be encouraged and attended by children and young adults who show interest or excel in such subjects.

Of course, if we handed out the book "Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten" instead, maybe this discussion would be unnecessary!
So I might send my kids to a school with values different than yours?

Yeah, you're right...that would be something horribly awful...how would this country survive when people all have different ideas?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Would you send your kid to the Mobil-Exxon school, or the WalMart school? Who do you think will pay for these private schools, if not the corporations that have the big money and self-serving interest in kids as consumers? Or maybe the Lockheed-Martin school, to learn to support the military-industrial complex. Or maybe the News-Corp school, since you want a choice.
This reply doesn't even really make sense.

If you're asking what I think you're asking, my answer is that I would send my kid to whatever school I felt would best meet their educational needs. Values and morals would be a factor. I would most likely pay for this school out of my own pocket, because in a perfect world, I get to decide how my money is spent...unlike now where the government funds public schools by making me pay them money to live in my own house.

Or I'd just homeschool them and save the money and be even more assured that they were getting the education that I think they should have.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:22 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,270,142 times
Values can't be "taught" at school but they can be modelled. School should NOT bear the burden of what ought to be a parent's responsibility. I find the whole notion ridiculous actually; just more evidence of how the liberals and neo-cons think they can control everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies