Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Many of the potential candidates have strong religious affiliations.

Huckabee, Carson, Walker, etc.....

Would this cause a conflict with our constitution?
How did Kennedy handle the job as President being such a devout Catholic? What about Carter and his fundamentalist Baptist background? What about Bush's stand on "pro life" because of his religious believs? Did you see make any attempt to change Roe versus Wade? Of course religious beliefs would not, in any way cause a conflict with our constitution...If you think it would, maybe all candidates should be atheists? Would that be better? BTW, I notice you talk about the Republicans and the 2 I think about when I think of very religious happen to be Democrats.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:35 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I see religious persuasion vis a vis politics as similar to political persuasion vis a vis job performance. In my job I know conservatives who are lazy and incompetent and liberals who are sharp, and vice versa. There is not an automatic translation. Carter and Reagan were both deeply religious Christians, yet their approaches to governing were very different.

Looking back at history, there has always been interplay between religion and politics. Lincoln turned to the Christian faith late in life, and Christian conservatives were largely responsibly for bringing about the end of slavery in the 19th century. I am not persuaded of any religious faith, but the Judeo-Christian values have proven to be the most beneficent over the long haul.
Was Reagan deeply religious? He never struck me that way.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
He came from a very religious home and was taught to practice his religion faithfully from the time he could talk and walk. Was he a man that attended church regularly? No, but he was a devout Christian.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Rev. Wright is an ordained minister in good standing with the United Church of Christ. Trinity UCC where Rev. Wright was pastor for 36 years, is a member congregation of the Untied Church of Christ. The roots of the UCC in the United States extends back to the Puritans and Pilgrims. Which is why to this day many if not most communities in New England have congregations that like Trinity in Chicago are members of the UCC.
It matters not what their root are. That is not who they are today. Virtually all the mainline Christian Churches have become apostate, and no longer teach the Christianity of the apostles. Most will not even answer the question, "Is the Bible the Word of God?" in the affirmative. Most have forgotten why Jesus was sent (the salvation of mankind, man reconciled to God through faith in Christ), and instead, preach some kind of warm fuzzy Jesus who only taught "love." But that is not the Jesus of scripture.

What Wright preaches is 'Black Liberation Theology,' which is anything but Christian.

But thanks for your input.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:51 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Obama was in the White House where he received a briefing from Defense Sec. Panetta and Gen Dempsey.
How do you know that? That has never been reported ... anywhere. If it had been, people wouldn't still be asking the question.

I have never heard that the other two, Panetta or Gen Dempsey, were in the WH that night either.

Do you have a supporting link?

Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
I would have thought so too, but by all accounts after the assassination attempt on him in 1981, he was convinced that providence had spared his life for a purpose. He was distrustful of the Jerry Fallwells, but nonetheless I think it is fair to say that he was deeply religious, especially after the attempt on his life.

Lakeland Ledger - Google News Archive Search

Old 03-09-2015, 01:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Could you please provide the sources from which you "lifted" these "quotes," purporting to show support for the "Progressive" interpretation of "Separation of Church and State?"
Madison on church and state

Thomas Jefferson Quotes V

American Prophet

All are cited in multiple places, you need only copy the quote and paste to the search window to find some serious purporting.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
How do you know that? That has never been reported ... anywhere. If it had been, people wouldn't still be asking the question.

I have never heard that the other two, Panetta or Gen Dempsey, were in the WH that night either.

Do you have a supporting link?
Its in the Congressional committee reports on Benghazi and it has been reported a lot of different places.

The Benghazi Transcripts: Top Defense officials briefed Obama on

"My first call was to General Dempsey, General Dempsey's office, to say, 'Hey, I am headed down the hall. I need to see him right away,'" Ham told lawmakers on the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigation on June 26 of last year. "I told him what I knew. We immediately walked upstairs to meet with Secretary Panetta."
Also among those whose secret testimony was declassified was Dempsey, the first person Ham briefed about Benghazi. Ham told lawmakers he considered it a fortuitous "happenstance" that he was able to rope Dempsey and Panetta into one meeting, so that, as Ham put it, "they had the basic information as they headed across for the meeting at the White House." Ham also told lawmakers he met with Panetta and Dempsey when they returned from their 30-minute session with President Obama on Sept. 11.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
It matters not what their root are. That is not who they are today. Virtually all the mainline Christian Churches have become apostate, and no longer teach the Christianity of the apostles. Most will not even answer the question, "Is the Bible the Word of God?" in the affirmative. Most have forgotten why Jesus was sent (the salvation of mankind, man reconciled to God through faith in Christ), and instead, preach some kind of warm fuzzy Jesus who only taught "love." But that is not the Jesus of scripture.

What Wright preaches is 'Black Liberation Theology,' which is anything but Christian.

But thanks for your input.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter to you, but I think you have just excluded the majority of Christians in the United States as well as many of our Christian founders.

FWIW: the following passage is from Stephen Mansfield's book, "The Faith of Barack Obama". Mansfield is a conservative evangelical who actually visited Trinity UCC and attended multiple services.

Critics of Obama and, certainly, of Jeremiah Wright wonder whether anything approximating the traditional Christian gospel is preached at Trinity Church. Wright's political pronouncements have been so radical and his demeanor in YouTube clips so angry that it is hard for some, particularly evangelicals, to accept that the church is anything more than a black Marxist recruitment center. Yet this is part of the sometimes confusing nature of both Wright and his church. Yes, Jesus Christ is offered to sinners as the Son of God who died and rose again. Yes, the church calls men to be saved from death and hell through confessing their wrongs and submitting their lives to a crucified Christ. Yes , this is the "born-again, new birth, blood-washed, Spirit-empowered Christianity" that evangelicals know.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Well, Mike Huckabee can't amend the Constitution on his own. So, moot. The Founders gave us as near to perfect a document as man is capable of producing. We have to be very careful with any amendment proposals. Prohibition was a disaster. It was repealed.

Next?
But Huckabee as President can choose to follow religious doctrine ,where he as President has an ability to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies