Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,812,354 times

Advertisements

At 59%, Support for Same-Sex Marriage Hits New High - NBC News

In the new survey released Monday, 59 percent of Americans said that they favor same-sex marriages while just 33 percent said they oppose them.

"It took about 25 years for interracial marriage to get from 30 percent support to 60 percent," he said. "It took same-sex marriage ten years."

For those who keep claiming the majority oppose it, you'd be wrong. Not to mention, SSM has far more support much faster than interracial marriage did.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,744,557 times
The majority is not always right, but it does seem that if you wait long enough, and if you have free speech, the majority can eventually work its way toward a reasonable position. And, concerning the accelerated rate for the acceptance of SSM acceptance compared to the acceptance of interracial marriage, I suspect that the internet had something to do with that. This is the effect of free speech at warp speed.

Of course the flip side is that free speech on hyper-drive can also cause bad ideas to take hold very quickly.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:25 PM

4,523 posts, read 5,091,915 times
This is what you call picking your audience to survey. Just like politicians do.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:31 PM

16,772 posts, read 8,759,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post

For those who keep claiming the majority oppose it, you'd be wrong.
I see, so a poll by NBC is somehow definitive proof?

I would bet you the farm that if a nationwide vote were taken today whether homosexuals were allowed to redefine historical/traditional marriage, it would lose. Much of it would depend on the wording, but rest assured still more people are against it than for it.
That is saying something considering the liberal Hollywood homosexual agenda that has been afoot for decades now. So between our school system, popular culture figures, and TV/movies, I'm not surprised public opinion is shifting.
Of course by the time multiple people are all getting married to each other, Elmer is married to his cow Betsy, and the age of consent is lowered to 14, pushed by groups like NAMBLA, it will be too late to close Pandora's box.
Future generations will wonder how such a great society could have devolved so quickly into something even worse than Sodom & Gomorra, and historians will say look to the 1960's for when it all started.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,291,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
This is what you call picking your audience to survey. Just like politicians do.
Give it up pete, you cannot deny rights from people forever, eventually people will be allowed to marry, even if you don't like it, and currently the majority of America is fine with that.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:37 PM

18,481 posts, read 7,138,952 times
There is a third option that is never covered in these polls.....

People like me, who neither actively support nor actively oppose gay marrige.
A good number of people I speak to fall into this category for any number of reasons.

Call it evolving morals or whatever you like.... But for many people, gay marrige is just a non issue because they know it's a foregone conclusion anyways and that the country has much bigger fish to fry.

For me personally, any form of marriage....gay, straight or otherwise falls into the category of just another thing that the government has no constitutional business sticking it's nose into.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:09 PM

4,794 posts, read 3,324,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I see, so a poll by NBC is somehow definitive proof?

I would bet you the farm that if a nationwide vote were taken today whether homosexuals were allowed to redefine historical/traditional marriage, it would lose. Much of it would depend on the wording, but rest assured still more people are against it than for it.
That is saying something considering the liberal Hollywood homosexual agenda that has been afoot for decades now. So between our school system, popular culture figures, and TV/movies, I'm not surprised public opinion is shifting.
Of course by the time multiple people are all getting married to each other, Elmer is married to his cow Betsy, and the age of consent is lowered to 14, pushed by groups like NAMBLA, it will be too late to close Pandora's box.
Future generations will wonder how such a great society could have devolved so quickly into something even worse than Sodom & Gomorra, and historians will say look to the 1960's for when it all started.
I would question what generation you are from and whom you mostly associate with? Talk to the under 30 crowd and you would see an entire difference of opinion and it is not something that will change with age.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,314,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It's 2015...move on and stop being proud to be on the wrong side of history.

Admit defeat, throw up your hands and accept the inevitable. Kinda like death, ya know?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:18 PM

4,494 posts, read 3,852,416 times
Of course it would be that high with a liberal NBC poll....

Old 03-10-2015, 04:19 PM

4,494 posts, read 3,852,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's 2015...move on and stop being proud to be on the wrong side of history.

Admit defeat, throw up your hands and accept the inevitable. Kinda like death, ya know?
As soon as you liberals stop shoving it in everybody's faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies