Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,769,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
In your rush to blame Bush for everything, you have failed to take into consideration the role Congress plays. I don't think Bush is a skilled leader or politician and I think that plays into it. We also have an atmosphere where partisan politics is a huge barrier. The war in Iraq certainly changed the ability to get other things done. It occupied a lot of time and also contributed to partisanship and monopolized the attention of Congress.

I agree, Congress must share part of the blame. Regarding partisan politics, though, I think Bush pushes partisanship heavily. Even during his second term when he should have been laying the groundwork for a reconciliation he was playing the partisan card heavily, over and over, and still does. Unlike Truman, Bush doesn't take responsibility, he passes the buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,551,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree, Congress must share part of the blame. Regarding partisan politics, though, I think Bush pushes partisanship heavily. Even during his second term when he should have been laying the groundwork for a reconciliation he was playing the partisan card heavily, over and over, and still does. Unlike Truman, Bush doesn't take responsibility, he passes the buck.
I agree and I don't think he's very good politician. I would also point out that the atmosphere in Congress took on an openly hostile and personal tone largely because of Iraq, so I'm not sure what he could have done.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 PM

531 posts, read 1,740,316 times
He was not especially qualified to be president and had incompetent people working for him--Brownie--a good example. He relied too much on loyalty of these people and less on their qualifications! And he was not a uniter as he told the public. There's more divisiveness between the political parties and the "red states" "blue states" than ever!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,700,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Eh, Bush isn't stupid. But without his connections, he's a mediocre student at Texas Tech destined for middle-management.

I would agree with that.

One thing I have noticed with GWB is that he seems to think minimal action is required and then everything will fall into place. Iraq and Katrina would be the prime examples. Social Security reform as well. Each time he initially acted or reacted with something and then when it was clear it was not enough, just sat there like a deer in the headlights.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,694,851 times
The Chinese have an old adage: The best government is the most corrupt one. They send the tax collector around one a year, and the rest of the time, they leave you alone.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,963,121 times
The only thing not said that seems relatively obvious to me is that there is something wrong with Bush, kind of like my perception of Ronald Reagan at the end of his 2nd term. I think we might hear about a major health issue affecting him mentally (a year or more out of office). Alzheimer's... I'm not certain, but something which has affected him greatly the bulk of the last 3 years. He just doesn't seem "with it" or "sharp" at all.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,438,143 times
because he only won by polarizing the nation

and now, 50% (or more) pretty much want to block any move he makes, no matter what it is.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,551,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
because he only won by polarizing the nation

and now, 50% (or more) pretty much want to block any move he makes, no matter what it is.
I wouldn't say he won by polarizing the nation, but I would say that him winning polarized the nation.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:34 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,630,520 times
I can't believe the typical Bush apologist reason hasn't been written yet:'

It's Clinton's fault.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:56 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
The only thing not said that seems relatively obvious to me is that there is something wrong with Bush, kind of like my perception of Ronald Reagan at the end of his 2nd term. I think we might hear about a major health issue affecting him mentally (a year or more out of office). Alzheimer's... I'm not certain, but something which has affected him greatly the bulk of the last 3 years. He just doesn't seem "with it" or "sharp" at all.

I think he's in shock, he's seeing that the world doesn't conform to his simplistic good and evil, black and white views and he seems unable/unwilling to face reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies