Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What fraternity did that? What university has allowed that to happen on their campus??

And in reference to what your talking about, they were considering charging Mike Brown's stepfather for inciting a riot after an emotionally charged comment where his son was killed.

You really have no leg to stand on here.
No leg except the constitution. There is no difference between arresting a person for those song lyrics and expelling students for them in a public school. It's both adverse government action protected by the first amendment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Freedom of speech is only freedom if the speaker is allowed to say things that are unpopular and not PC. So flag burning is free speech. "Kill cops" is free speech, but college students being racist is not free speech? What country is this again?
Go try doing any of those things at work and see what happens. Doesn't matter if your employer is private or public.

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Most of those are not in the constitution, they are just judge-made exception. I doubt any would apply here. There is no "hate speech" exception. A threat is a huge stretch.
Judicial review was established in 1803 in Marbury vs Madison.

Limitations on free speech that present a "clear and present danger" was established in Schenck vs US in 1919.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
People are threatening their lives. I'd say it did incite violence.

Meanwhile in Ferguson...

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No. I was actually mirroring you.
no, instead of condemning what was said you jumped over it to blame Blacks... lol.

Try harder

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
That's a cop out answer. At least be consistent.
I am consistent.
Quote:
The kids in Oklahoma are world-class scum. But when I enlisted I took an
oath to defend the Constitution which applies equally to every American, whether
Oklahoma scum or elitist liberal Berkeley scum.

I don't know if those Berkeley people - and that is a hypothetical situation, while Oklahoma is real - advocate murder or terrorism. If they do, they should get it like the racists in Oklahoma got it. Fair enough?

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Yeah, it can, in the sense that the charter for a student organization can be revoked because of violations of pre-determined agreements. There are a number of reasons for this. A public state school is not an arm of the federal government, which is what the First Amendment governs and protects. Moreover, federal protections of free speech do not preclude criticisms of any ensuing speech; anyone engaging in free speech is completely liable to have his or her speech be open to criticism or rebuttal; no foul there.

Further, the "harm principle," which is open to interpretation without a doubt, may come into play, and it may come to bear on libelous, slanderous, seditious, or "fighting words" speech. Freedom of speech rights do not mean being able to say whatever one wants without sanction; they rather mean being able to say what one wants without criminal prosecution on a federal level so long as standards of the "harm principle" are not violated, and I do understand that what the "harm principle" means is murky. But that is why we humans make hopefully well-intentioned arguments and try to figure out what things mean over time. That said, free speech very well may entail consequences at other levels than the federal, which is exactly what is happening at OU. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Just because I can say whatever I want doesn't mean that I should, nor does it mean that I should abandon thinking about the consequences of what I say. And just because I have been granted a right does not mean that I should expect not to be criticized for exercising it.
Well said!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'm not defending them, I'm defending a constitutional right.
When I compare the thoughts expressed in your words to those of OU president Boren, I am refreshed by one and repelled by the other.

There is a constitutional right to be an *-hole, within limits. There is a constitutional right to express points of view that others find objectionable. This is not what you are defending. You are defending a terroristic threat. I hope your descendants and collateral descendants marry a rainbow of ethnicities and colors and sexual identities.

Humans are tribal beings, and the issue at hand has been fought ever since the second tribe formed. We will be battling this until the end of time. But the most objectionable and intolerable manifestations of it can be kept out of a civil society.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
That's a cop out answer. At least be consistent.

The kids in Oklahoma are world-class scum. But when I enlisted I took an oath to defend the Constitution which applies equally to every American, whether Oklahoma scum or elitist liberal Berkeley scum.
no one is saying throw them in jail or deny them from ever attending another university.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Considering the debauchery I experienced as a college student on and off campus among fellow college students the stupid song is nothing. Blacks use ****** all the time. Betcha if black kids singing some song with ****** in it or kill whitey or kill po-po no one would care.

Funny item: Unreconstructed older white southener I work with commented regarding this incident, "Folks need to realize no one will ever like ******s. They [The forcing of PC] can try to control our mouths but never our minds."
And the man in your example is a dumbass for thinking that his skin color is a great accomplishment.

Racist are some of the stupidest humans on the planet. And they never actually accomplish anything. Just always point the finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies