Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I sent my daughter to Cal. I know a thing or two. Free speech is free speech. Not just the speech that aligns with your viewpoint.
Exactly! And I've tried to make that point by using Shabazz's "kill Whites... Black Power!" public statement as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Most people have heard of the oklahoma university racist song by now. No one doubts that what these kids did was dumb and racist. But I read the school closed their frat, and they are now talking suspension or expulsion. The school president said they "abused" their free speech. Have we really gotten to the point where a public school can expel students for a non-threatening albeit racist song? It sounds unconstitutional to me.
Public universities can expel students for all sorts of things. I'm pretty sure they ran it through legal first.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You must have a lame ass boss and ditto for your job. I don't know of a job where you can miss 38 days in even a YEAR, let alone 6 months just because you don't want to show up.

Must be Taco Bell or something. It's definitely not at a good job.
It was a union job, steelworker's union. Almost impossible to fire anyone.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
1) Boren overreacted under pressure. Never a good sign in a leader.

2) Boren doesn't have to pay any damages eventually awarded. That comes out of OU's funds, which will ultimately punish only OU students and donors.
Let's be honest enough to not quote people out of context. OU made the decision they did because their name and reputation is more important than any settlement (if any) they may have to face. They don't want to be associated with bigots and racism and the old south image. I suppose that makes you throw your hands in the air and ask "Why not?", but it makes sense to educated people including the alumni and contributors.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
In case anyone is curious and/or haven't seen it in action yet, this topic right here is why nothing will change regarding racism in America.

These young men were born in the mid to late 90s. It's hard to believe we still live in such a country. A huge problem is these kids would have grown up to be in positions where they can affect the lives of people they were joking about hanging when they were college students in a fraternity.

Talking about this type of stuff with white people in real life, or online makes me want to sometimes just say "White people don't give a ****". But then I realize that it's probably that mindset of broad strokes, that has lead to this "race" bull**** destroying so many lives and being a plague on history.I just don't get it, why in the world is that so many people find it okay to look down on others without even thinking twice? And these are the future leaders?

These clowns are about to learn a valuable lesson in life (presumably). Good thing they're white; they're starting off with an advantage.
Not hard to believe - We like to ignore the realities around us in lieu of the fantasy that makes us feel good. No way that in the 21st *these* millennials would learn such concepts and desire to make that the "on the way to a formal function" song. They were caught doing something explicitly that they would then in public continue to do subtly.

You can't change how someone thinks but you can impose a penalty on improper behavior. It's a stretch *but* A) Expulsion for everyone visibly singing the song or at a minimum the one leading it - easy since this is a code of conduct every student by default agrees to on any US campus B) The university and/or student council should charge those visibly singing with a hate crime (I know a stretch but do it anyway) - if it sticks, it's a felony conviction that will follow them for the rest of their lives and an "X" they'll have to check on every employment form from now until eternity. The side effect of B is that it would place an unnecessary financial burden to defend such litigation on the involved students and/or their parents.

I understand the University has to dot the i's and cross the t's but if it's anything less than option A) then the university is a disgrace.

[Follow up]

Just as I responded I saw this

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ideo/24691017/

A good start.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
[quote=Gtownoe;38762652]Lol.

Quote:
He needs to improve his public image to the country if you haven't been keeping up.
I've read some of his posts, but not all, however, why should someone have to prove themselves? Seriously, he is writing his feelings and what he is saying is....he is for doing what is right, which a lot of people do not do today....in other words, I'm not defending him, I'm trying to discuss your disagreement with him, and I don't understand, sorry....

Quote:
And yes to me. Maybe it would do WONDERS for reaching those involved with the protest. Instead of talking down to me like I'm a nobody. Yesterday I repped him when citizens stood up for one of his fellow officers.
yanno, I've seen some of your posts, and they can get borderline mean sometime...heck we all can, however, maybe, your misunderstanding simply b/c you disagree....and it's ok to disagree, we can't all agree....I've heard my son say several times in his life, "Mom, it's the right thing to do". And he is right...most all of the time....not to many people tend to do that any longer....people do...it seems in this world today Gtownoe, a lot of people take the defense simply b/c they feel a wrong has been done, or not....it's the way we all see that wrong done, in different ways, maybe due to our personal cultures, meaning, the way we were raised...perception is another factor....heck, I'm far from being right all the time, but there is also another factor...just b/c you think think one way and I think another doesn't make either one of us, right or wrong, there is no right or wrong answer in some things....? Does that make any sense?

Quote:
I've taken up for both sides in this. Its written, logged, tracked.
yes, I know you have.....

Quote:
If the 1st thing you do after reading about this incident is jump at the media are those who are outraged you have problems. If you want to throw yourself in that category as well be my guest.
Well, I agree and I promise you, I didn't come into this thread on that side of the coin....these kids were wrong, and it definitely should be news....so others get that you don't do these things....I'm glad the college booted those kids out...they set an example of what you should not do.....and if the media is picking up on this, all the better, so that other kids maybe think first, and never sing a horrible degrading song like this again.

When my son was little, I told him, if I ever ever hear you say the N, word, I will slap you across the face. And I've never slapped you across the face, but that will merit a good fat lip.

He is a cop, and I'm glad he turned out the way he did, very proud of him....and he to, has problems with wise college kids....believe me....it's a college town and he has his hands full.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Eugene Volokh has a discussion of the OU event
Quote:
Eugene Volokh teaches free speech law, religious freedom law, church-state relations law, a First Amendment Amicus Brief Clinic, and tort law, at UCLA School of Law, where he has also often taught copyright law, criminal law, and a seminar on firearms regulation policy.
h/t http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/203421/

Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
In case anyone is curious and/or haven't seen it in action yet, this topic right here is why nothing will change regarding racism in America.

These young men were born in the mid to late 90s. It's hard to believe we still live in such a country. A huge problem is these kids would have grown up to be in positions where they can affect the lives of people they were joking about hanging when they were college students in a fraternity.

Talking about this type of stuff with white people in real life, or online makes me want to sometimes just say "White people don't give a ****". But then I realize that it's probably that mindset of broad strokes, that has lead to this "race" bull**** destroying so many lives and being a plague on history.I just don't get it, why in the world is that so many people find it okay to look down on others without even thinking twice? And these are the future leaders?

These clowns are about to learn a valuable lesson in life (presumably). Good thing they're white; they're starting off with an advantage.

These boys are for the most part Republican boys. Their parents are Republicans. You don't get into a fraternity without money.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Yeah I find these students actions to be...deplorable. That being said, that doesn't mean they don't have first amendment protection at a university.

They should be expelled from their fraternity, thats fine. They deserve to have their names put out for the world to see.....but....they should not be expelled. I don't think that falls within the law despite how abhorrent their behavior is.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Let's be honest enough to not quote people out of context. OU made the decision they did because their name and reputation is more important than any settlement (if any) they may have to face.
Violating Constitutional rights is not a reputation any public university would like to have.

Quote:
They don't want to be associated with bigots and racism and the old south image.
And that could have been handled adequately if Boren had publicly condemned the students' actions (well within his rights without violating anyone else's), and let the students suffer the consequences of their idiotic actions (public reproach, unemployability, etc.) without trampling their Constitutional rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies