Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I doubt the people we are talking about are anti-intellectual racists. They were no doubt singing that song for the same reason that they might watch splatter films or listen to death metal or gangster rap. Because it's ridiculous and they thought it would be funny and offensive.
Again.

Do people regularly do/say things like that around you??

And no listening to death metal or rap is not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I expect these expelled students to sue the university and win. They won't have to work again the rest of their life.
Sue for what? You can get expelled or suspended for a lot of reasons.

Have you gone through their guidelines?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
As students they signed up to be held to certain behavioral standards. They obviously violated those standards. Not much else to say.

Except that once again conservatives are defending racists. But that shouldn't surprise anybody by now.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Again.

Do people regularly do/say things like that around you??

And no listening to death metal or rap is not the same.
It is exactly the same, lyrics which are ridiculous and offensive.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
IC is trying to deflect because it hurts to see whites exposed like this...
How does saying they'll be ostracized and unemployable mean anything other than disapproval of what they did? Do you not have ANY critical thinking skills whatsoever?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
It is exactly the same, lyrics which are ridiculous and offensive.
I'm not even going to break it down to you or make the comparison.

I seriously wanna know where some of yall grew up.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I agree with you. Expelling is not the proper response. Ridicule and shunning are.
I agree 100%!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I expect these expelled students to sue the university and win. They won't have to work again the rest of their life.
They will win. And, yes, the monetary award for infringing on a Constitutional right will be quite large.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
As students they signed up to be held to certain behavioral standards.
Unconstitutional standards cannot be invoked.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:16 PM

756 posts, read 833,468 times
Angry That's Not True:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Most people have heard of the oklahoma university racist song by now. No one doubts that what these kids did was dumb and racist. But I read the school closed their frat, and they are now talking suspension or expulsion. The school president said they "abused" their free speech. Have we really gotten to the point where a public school can expel students for a non-threatening albeit racist song? It sounds unconstitutional to me.
If OU approved their behaviours then they might as well put up "no blacks" signs and "black people can't use this restroom." and "black people do not have priority seating on the bus". So one reason why OU took action is because otherwise that would make OU look bad. Another reason is that they closed down that fraternity house by following written policies.

That song is not just racist. It is threatening. I took them seriously. That there would "Never be a [six letter N word]" and if one joined they indirectly threatened to hang them from a tree. Fraternity houses are known for such cruel behaviours and I am glad that OU took the issue seriously also. It is certainly not unconstitutional.

Hanging people from trees is just wrong. Well... child abusers can hang from trees, otherwise hanging people from trees is just wrong. African Americans is to Tree as Pagan is to Stake. I love Pagans and I love African Americans.

Now that I answered your question I am going to comment that racism is still everywhere to the point if I am the only person who isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies