Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 AM

165 posts, read 169,709 times

Advertisements

"I am a member of Congress. I'm not going to tell you from where, or from which party. But I serve, and I am honored to serve. I serve with good people (and some less good ones), and we try to do our best." - confession of a Congressman

So here are some things:

1) Congress listens best to money

It is more lucrative to pander to big donors than to regular citizens. Campaigns are so expensive that the average member needs a million-dollar war chest every two years and spends 50 percent to 75 percent of their term in office raising money. Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that money is speech and corporations are people, the mega-rich have been handed free loudspeakers. Their voices, even out-of-state voices, are drowning out the desperate whispers of ordinary Americans.

2) We don't have a Congress but a parliament

Over the last several decades, party loyalty has increased to near-unanimity. If a member of Congress doesn't vote with his or her party 99 percent of the time, he's considered unreliable and excluded from party decision-making. Gone are the days when you were expected to vote your conscience and your district, the true job of a congress person. Parliaments only work because they have a prime minister who can get things done. We have a parliament without any ability to take executive action. We should not be surprised we are gridlocked.

3) Not a secret, Congress is a stepping-stone to lobbying

Congress is no longer a destination but a journey. Committee assignments are mainly valuable as part of the interview process for a far more lucrative job as a K Street lobbyist. You are considered naïve if you are not currying favor with wealthy corporations under your jurisdiction. It's become routine to see members of Congress drop their seat in Congress like a hot rock when a particularly lush vacancy opens up. The revolving door is spinning every day. Special interests deplete Congress of its best talent.

4)The best people don't run for Congress

Smart people figured this out years ago and decided to pursue careers other than running for Congress. The thought of living in a fishbowl with 30-second attack ads has made Congress repulsive to spouses and families. The idea of spending half your life begging rich people you don't know for money turns off all reasonable, self-respecting people. That, plus lower pay than a first-year graduate of a top law school, means that Congress, like most federal agencies, is not attracting the best and the brightest in America

Read more here, if you want

I understand, most of things are not so surprising. So, what do you think about this?
The sad thing is that seems we agree; at least, I don't see much difference between begging and influence peddling in the realm of politics

Old 03-10-2015, 05:28 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
"I am a member of Congress...
And I'm Queen of the May.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bad career choice, Congress is much more lucrative.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Yet, the electorate continues to reelect the same politicians year after year. Who is really responsible?

Us, the voters.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:56 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
"I am a member of Congress. I'm not going to tell you from where, or from which party. But I serve, and I am honored to serve. I serve with good people (and some less good ones), and we try to do our best." - confession of a Congressman

So here are some things:

It is more lucrative to pander to big donors than to regular citizens. Campaigns are so expensive that the average member needs a million-dollar war chest every two years and spends 50 percent to 75 percent of their term in office raising money. Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that money is speech and corporations are people, the mega-rich have been handed free loudspeakers. Their voices, even out-of-state voices, are drowning out the desperate whispers of ordinary Americans.

2) We don't have a Congress but a parliament

Over the last several decades, party loyalty has increased to near-unanimity. If a member of Congress doesn't vote with his or her party 99 percent of the time, he's considered unreliable and excluded from party decision-making. Gone are the days when you were expected to vote your conscience and your district, the true job of a congress person. Parliaments only work because they have a prime minister who can get things done. We have a parliament without any ability to take executive action. We should not be surprised we are gridlocked.

3) Not a secret, Congress is a stepping-stone to lobbying

Congress is no longer a destination but a journey. Committee assignments are mainly valuable as part of the interview process for a far more lucrative job as a K Street lobbyist. You are considered naïve if you are not currying favor with wealthy corporations under your jurisdiction. It's become routine to see members of Congress drop their seat in Congress like a hot rock when a particularly lush vacancy opens up. The revolving door is spinning every day. Special interests deplete Congress of its best talent.

4)The best people don't run for Congress

Smart people figured this out years ago and decided to pursue careers other than running for Congress. The thought of living in a fishbowl with 30-second attack ads has made Congress repulsive to spouses and families. The idea of spending half your life begging rich people you don't know for money turns off all reasonable, self-respecting people. That, plus lower pay than a first-year graduate of a top law school, means that Congress, like most federal agencies, is not attracting the best and the brightest in America

Read more here, if you want

I understand, most of things are not so surprising. So, what do you think about this?
The sad thing is that seems we agree; at least, I don't see much difference between begging and influence peddling in the realm of politics
Duplicate thread.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:07 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Is there an unseamy side to congress?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
burdell is right your highness.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:

So here are some things:

That ruling had absolutely NOTHING to do with campaign donations. Nothing. Big money sold you a line and you took it.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
If you were trying to do WHAT'S BEST FOR OUR COUNTRY, you would persuade your fellow Congress people to vote for term limits, pay cuts, and no retirement.

Our lawmakers should be doing this for LOVE OF COUNTRY..not for the perks and benefits. There should be NO monetary benefit. 1 term...then go back to the laws you passed. There would be no "fund raising", as there would be no being "re elected"!

Serving as a congressman or senator should NOT be a "career"...but a way to help the country you supposedly love.

Shame on you.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm an illegal....MUCH MUCH more lucrative....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies