Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:56 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times

Advertisements

Florida Congressman Alcee Hastings was asked to apologize to Texas by Texas Congressman Michael Burgess after he called Texas " a crazy state" during an argument over the affordable care act.

Rep Hasstings refused to apologize quote “And I mean that just as I said it,” Hastings said. “I told you what I think about Texas. I wouldn’t live there for all the tea in China and that’s how I feel.”

He has further elaborated his feelings by issuing this statement “You will wait until hell freezes over for me to say anything in an apology. I will apologize to you if I was directing my comments to you. I was commenting about the state that you happen to be a resident of,” Hastings said.

I personally think Texas and Florida regularly compete with each other over who is considered the "craziest" state but that is just me lol. I do at least admire his honesty no political whitewashing for him.

Texans demand apology from Florida lawmaker who called Texas “a crazy state” | Dallas Morning News

Old 03-10-2015, 01:02 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Florida Congressman Alcee Hastings was asked to apologize to Texas by Texas Congressman Michael Burgess after he called Texas " a crazy state" during an argument over the affordable care act.

Rep Hasstings refused to apologize quote “And I mean that just as I said it,” Hastings said. “I told you what I think about Texas. I wouldn’t live there for all the tea in China and that’s how I feel.”

He has further elaborated his feelings by issuing this statement “You will wait until hell freezes over for me to say anything in an apology. I will apologize to you if I was directing my comments to you. I was commenting about the state that you happen to be a resident of,” Hastings said.

I personally think Texas and Florida regularly compete with each other over who is considered the "craziest" state but that is just me lol. I do at least admire his honesty no political whitewashing for him.

Texans demand apology from Florida lawmaker who called Texas “a crazy state” | Dallas Morning News
The man was impeached and removed from the bench. He has no judgement and no manners. And no, I am not from Texas.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Hastings should actually double down on his statements.

However, i will apologize to all of you reasonable Texans on this forum. Being from Arizona, i know how the looney rubes in your state can make your state look as if it's full of imbeciles. LMAO

Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
I'm from Texas, and I could care less if this person apologizes.

Who cares what some loudmouth says or thinks?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times
Pot Kettle Black.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm from Texas, and I could care less if this person apologizes.

Who cares what some loudmouth says or thinks?
Seeing as how you're a Texan, i'll definitely defer to the experts on this one. Great point.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Well see, that's just the thing with these infractions.

When you run for office and accept the position; you acknowledge that your personal opinions are to be clearly defined and go off record while speaking in a public venue, OTHERWISE it can be taken for granted that you are speaking on behalf of your office as a representative of the people of Florida.

When referring to a whole other state without the mandate from your electorate to call that state a "crazy state" you have gone off the reservation and should be censured by your own people, much less Texans.

This nutbar has forgotten that any house of debate with subsequent committee meetings exists and operates only through prescribed rules of order and unless a motion is accepted and agreed upon to suspend those rules; this azzhat clearly broke one of them.

Demonstrating you cannot control your temper and practice reasoned restraint should disqualify you to speak on behalf of anyone else anywhere.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well see, that's just the thing with these infractions.

When you run for office and accept the position; you acknowledge that your personal opinions are to be clearly defined and go off record while speaking in a public venue, OTHERWISE it can be taken for granted that you are speaking on behalf of your office as a representative of the people of Florida.

When referring to a whole other state without the mandate from your electorate to call that state a "crazy state" you have gone off the reservation and should be censured by your own people, much less Texans.

This nutbar has forgotten that any house of debate with subsequent committee meetings exists and operates only through prescribed rules of order and unless a motion is accepted and agreed upon to suspend those rules; this azzhat clearly broke one of them.

Demonstrating you cannot control your temper and practice reasoned restraint should disqualify you to speak on behalf of anyone else anywhere.
Controlling his temper is the least of his problems. He was convicted and impeached for bribery and perjury by the House and Senate while sitting as a Federal judge.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:30 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Controlling his temper is the least of his problems. He was convicted and impeached for bribery and perjury by the House and Senate while sitting as a Federal judge.
Alcee Hastings - Discover the Networks

Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
That video was very entertaining lol.

OP are you saying that someone out of Texas has demanded an apology again or that the Texas representative during that meeting demanded an apology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies