Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:35 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,693,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you want everyone to have health care you should oppose ACA. Why you dont understand this is beyond my ability to ever understand.
Because supporting a program that can evolve is much better than killing it. Republicans hate health care. They hate Medicare. They hate entitlements of any kind. They had decades of opportunity to implement health care and they ran from it. They would not be discussing it now if Obama had not been elected and ACA passed. How you don't see this is beyond me. Obama has pushed Republicans in a corner. Now Republicans have proposed a budget that kills the ACA, privatizes Medicare in addition to huge cuts to Medicare and Medicaid programs. They want to cut it all in favor of increased defense spending.

I do not cut off my nose to spite my face. Even Democrats that oppose the ACA because it's not single payer are missing how sausage gets made.

Ted Kennedy said Republicans proposed a health care coverage plan to him in the 60s that left out a small segment of the population. He said no because it left some people out. He said before he died that was a huge mistake. He should have taken it and they could have negotiated the rest later.

I've never thought, nor do I think anyone ever thought, the first version of the ACA/Obamacare would be it. It was always going to be a work in progress. But I negotiate for a living and a lot of people here seem to think that every plan the country has is the same as its original implementation. They change all the time.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:50 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,624,211 times
The governor of NJ just proposed a State budget and stated that the ACA increased Medicaid program saved NJ $150 million.

Here is one article

http://articles.philly.com/2015-03-0...budget-address

Old 03-21-2015, 02:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,058,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because supporting a program that can evolve is much better than killing it. Republicans hate health care. They hate Medicare. They hate entitlements of any kind. They had decades of opportunity to implement health care and they ran from it. They would not be discussing it now if Obama had not been elected and ACA passed. How you don't see this is beyond me. Obama has pushed Republicans in a corner. Now Republicans have proposed a budget that kills the ACA, privatizes Medicare in addition to huge cuts to Medicare and Medicaid programs. They want to cut it all in favor of increased defense spending.

I do not cut off my nose to spite my face. Even Democrats that oppose the ACA because it's not single payer are missing how sausage gets made.

Ted Kennedy said Republicans proposed a health care coverage plan to him in the 60s that left out a small segment of the population. He said no because it left some people out. He said before he died that was a huge mistake. He should have taken it and they could have negotiated the rest later.

I've never thought, nor do I think anyone ever thought, the first version of the ACA/Obamacare would be it. It was always going to be a work in progress. But I negotiate for a living and a lot of people here seem to think that every plan the country has is the same as its original implementation. They change all the time.
What part of THIRTY MILLION are expected to GO WITHOUT insurance dont you undertsand?

Old 03-21-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
The governor of NJ just proposed a State budget and stated that the ACA increased Medicaid program saved NJ $150 million.

Here is one article

Christie quietly reaps Obamacare budget benefits - philly-archives
But first, thats temporary, and second, thats because the federal government is paying the bill.

Having someone else pay the bill, doesnt make it cheaper.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:08 PM

NJ contributes far more to the federal coffers than it receives. NJ is a donor State and the majority of low tax States are taker States. No one with any knowledge of taxes paid on a federal level can say that overall someone is picking up NJ's bills.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Having someone else pay the bill, doesnt make it cheaper.
No, it doesn't. Sending citizens without health coverage to hospital emergency definitely doesn't make it cheaper. Hospital Bankruptcy News | Value Healthcare Services

All of this costs you big time. One of the many reasons an aspirin costs twice as much as a Big Meal.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:10 PM

If the Court rules subsidies only go to State exchanges you watch how fast State exchanges are created.

Even now R governors are saying if the court rules against the subsidies they need to delay the date it would go into effect.

I hope the Court rules against. The R's will like the dog that chased the car and caught it. Oh Oh what do we do.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
NJ contributes far more to the federal coffers than it receives. NJ is a donor State and the majority of low tax States are taker States. No one with any knowledge of taxes paid on a federal level can say that overall someone is picking up NJ's bills.
Washington State is a donor state too. And we have a Health Insurance Exchange and we're doing just fine.

These red states are a joke. You know how they like to scream about tort reform? Lots of states already have it. Texas already has it and it has resulted in a state with more uninsured than almost any other. That tort reform did nothing for the except make the insurance companies more money.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No, it doesn't. Sending citizens without health coverage to hospital emergency definitely doesn't make it cheaper. Hospital Bankruptcy News | Value Healthcare Services

All of this costs you big time. One of the many reasons an aspirin costs twice as much as a Big Meal.
We conservatives WARNED that was going to happen. We were told we didnt know what we were talking about because surely we could insure tens of millions, cut costs, spread the wealth, reduce premiums, reduce costs of procedures, if only we'd pass ACA..

Guess what, YOU WERE LIED TO, and you STILL want to pretend its a success.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM

I do not think the ACA is a success. It is just better than the abject failure of our previous HC system. Hopefully it is the initial step to a national system where cost can be reined in and we spend in line with most other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies