Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:06 AM

18,794 posts, read 8,422,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I don't think your mother has to pay for your insurance until you are 26, you could take responsibility for that yourself. You also could skip buying insurance and elect to pay the fine/tax.
ACA was good for my daughter with pre-existing disease. First we were able to keep her on our plan until she was 26, then she was finally able to get decent coverage at a decent price in CA due to reforms. Previously no one would take her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:26 PM

305 posts, read 722,259 times
It's good for those with pre-existing conditions that are either debilitating or fatal, but it's not good for those who have already don't have money to pay for insurance(or they would have gotten it themselves.) whether they are generally healthy and or have no conditions that are fatal. I would have liked it more if people were not forced into getting it, and if it was actually affordable.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,676,292 times
Nope, I hate it too. I hate it for several reasons on top of the one's you stated.
one that really burns me up: I called a Doctor to schedule an appointment last year. The cost of the visit would be $179. So that's $179 plus the $200 a month I was paying for insurance so I don't get fined by our Nazi government. That's $379 just for that month one visit, not including the $200 a month I was paying the past 8 months. So i'm $1800 in the hole but still have to pay 100% of my visit and at a higher rate because I have insurance. However, if I didn't claim my insurance, or didn't have insurance, that same visit is $65.

Thank you big government. I surely couldn't have put that $200 a month in a savings account to pay for any doctor visit. Instead it goes to an insurance company where when I finally hit my $3000 deductible, they will so graciously pay 80% of my bill if it meets some strict criteria. Tell me again how this helps me?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
It's good for those with pre-existing conditions that are either debilitating or fatal, but it's not good for those who have already don't have money to pay for insurance(or they would have gotten it themselves.) whether they are generally healthy and or have no conditions that are fatal. I would have liked it more if people were not forced into getting it, and if it was actually affordable.
It's good for those with pre-existing, period. 3 in our family have pre-existing, not now debilitating or near fatal. Yes I agree that costs for the relatively young and healthy have risen.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Nope, I hate it too. I hate it for several reasons on top of the one's you stated.
one that really burns me up: I called a Doctor to schedule an appointment last year. The cost of the visit would be $179. So that's $179 plus the $200 a month I was paying for insurance so I don't get fined by our Nazi government. That's $379 just for that month one visit, not including the $200 a month I was paying the past 8 months. So i'm $1800 in the hole but still have to pay 100% of my visit and at a higher rate because I have insurance. However, if I didn't claim my insurance, or didn't have insurance, that same visit is $65.

Thank you big government. I surely couldn't have put that $200 a month in a savings account to pay for any doctor visit. Instead it goes to an insurance company where when I finally hit my $3000 deductible, they will so graciously pay 80% of my bill if it meets some strict criteria. Tell me again how this helps me?
Why can't you set up an HSA plan?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,657,184 times
Quote:
The very reason I cannot stand Obamacare is because Americans are now forced to get health insurance that they can't afford to begin with. Employers will skimp out on working hours so they don't have to pay for my insurance. My mother has to pay for my insurance until I'm 26, and she's struggling financially as it is without having to pay $300 a month.

Guess what? I as an American do not have a choice of whether or not I can opt out of these things given to me. Instead of targeting Americans who are still struggling from a recovering economy, why not target healthcare companies who are ripping off insurance companies and bloating the bill even higher, costing them and their patients thousands of dollars more than their service is worth. How about they let the American people buy insurance when they can afford it? Their law is costing people more money than it needs to be. If I had a choice, I'd opt out of my employer's insurance so I get more hours, and more pay. I'd opt out of being under my parent's insurance so my parents don't have to suffer.

Why not instead target the lower class people who are struggling to get by? Maybe set a law that an employee who is paid up to 50% more than the state's minimum wage is entitled to health insurance benefits at no expense to them. So employers will have to either pay their workers more money so they can buy their own insurance, or buy their insurance for them.
Your mother doesn't HAVE to do any such thing.

She can CHOOSE to keep you on her policy, but, she absolutely does not have to.

It sounds like you are working. Has it occurred to you to assist your parents in paying for their family policy since you seem to have chosen to not buy one of your own?

Old 03-11-2015, 01:48 PM

493 posts, read 513,247 times
OP what state do you live in? Here in California I was able to get Medi-Cal (Medicaid) at no cost just because of my income level. Thank God I live in California where anyone now has access to medical care.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:58 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,717,568 times
...and we still have 30 million uninsured. The only thing I do like is the preexisting conditions clause. That was a good thing since insurance companies could consider acne preexisting conditions and bounce you off the rolls. I think we could have simply expanded Medicaid and covered the ones at risk. This will be rewritten and hopefully they will remove the pork and nonsense and keep what is genuinely good about it...along with tort reform and allowing across the state competition.
The other thing,,,,the cost of medical care is rising and a $15,000 "procedure" is still $15,000 and rising with the insured paying a larger chunk. So who pays for the cost of medicine? How do we reduce the cost of medicine? Time will tell.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:10 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,557,666 times
Quote:
The very reason I cannot stand Obamacare is because Americans are now forced to get health insurance that they can't afford to begin with. Employers will skimp out on working hours so they don't have to pay for my insurance. My mother has to pay for my insurance until I'm 26, and she's struggling financially as it is without having to pay $300 a month.

Pay your own insurance. Get another job. Its not always some one else's fault. I know there are a lot of folks out there who don't want to be "forced" to have insurance. They would rather let the rest of us pay for their medical expenses if they get sick. Well that's not the way its supposed to work. Pay the fine instead, if you don't want it. Its the law, get over it. Christmas is over...

Old 03-11-2015, 02:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,799,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
OP what state do you live in? Here in California I was able to get Medi-Cal (Medicaid) at no cost just because of my income level. Thank God I live in California where anyone now has access to medical care.
Your welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies