Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times

Advertisements

Republican lawmakers in Louisiana are accusing Governor Bobby Jindal of putting his presidential aspirations ahead of the state's financial welfare by effectively giving Americans for Tax Reform veto power over the state's budget, and this at a time when the state is facing a projected $1.6 billion shortfall. At a recent Republican retreat, Jindal warned legislators that any attempt to close the shortfall would have to first be approved by Norquist's group.

Republican State Rep. Tim Burns:

Quote:
“I’m a conservative Republican, but I don’t think that it’s necessarily COMMUNIST TO MAKE BUSINESSES PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF DOING BUSINESS IN YOUR STATE, particularly one with abundant natural resources such as Louisiana,” he continued. “Average citizens pay for the privilege of using resources of the state so business should also.”
Republican Rep. Jay Morris, in a letter to his constituents, agreed:

Quote:
“I’m no psychologist or psychiatrist but in my opinion what is going on [regarding Jindal's pledge to ATF] as we approach session is insane.”
Louisiana Republicans revolt over Bobby Jindal’s ‘insane’ allegiance to Grover Norquist

I find it amusing that Piyush thinks he actually has a chance to win the GOP nomination.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 03-11-2015 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 PM

335 posts, read 424,057 times
Jindal doesn't care about Louisianans.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Truth is, it's kinda selective to pick on Jindal for this.

Grover Nordquist has an incredible amount of disproportionate power in the Republican party and Jindal is only the latest Republican to get punked by Nordquist.

If you don't take Nordquist's pledge, he'll do everything he can to make you regret it. You'd better hope you live in a safe district or have high enough personal popularity numbers to overcome his opposition because he's thorough and relentless.

I'll give Nordquist this though; he stays on message and means every word he says.

I'm always teasing Republicans about Limbaugh being the defacto boss of the Republican Party, but the REAL boss is Nordquist. Alan Simpson has been saying this for years.

Former Sen. Alan Simpson: Grover Norquist Is

Old 03-12-2015, 07:15 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
I'm not surprised by this at all. What I don't get is how a 12 year old has ONE idea, writes it down, and now years later is a major power broker in American politics. The guy had a single idea, and it wasn't even a good one.

Also, does anyone else find it fascinating that Rep. Morris felt that he had to had the qualifiers that he's "A conservative Republican," and that it wasn't "Necessarily Communist," for companies and people to pay taxes? Like paying taxes could be construed as communist?

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 03-12-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Republican lawmakers in Louisiana are accusing Governor Bobby Jindal of putting his presidential aspirations ahead of the state's financial welfare by effectively giving Americans for Tax Reform veto power over the state's budget, and this at a time when the state is facing a projected $1.6 billion shortfall. At a recent Republican retreat, Jindal warned legislators that any attempt to close the shortfall would have to first be approved by Norquist's group.

Republican State Rep. Tim Burns:

Republican Rep. Jay Morris, in a letter to his constituents, agreed:

Louisiana Republicans revolt over Bobby Jindal’s ‘insane’ allegiance to Grover Norquist

I find it amusing that Piyush thinks he actually has a chance to win the GOP nomination.
First, why the lib compulsion to call him 'Piyush' when he has chosen to call himself Bobby? We all know why.

Second I doubt that Jindal will even run for the nomination. He hasn't been jumping through the hoops. He didn't show up at a recent confab in Iowa:
Top 2016 GOP presidential hopefuls return to Iowa to hone messages | Fox News

He might get a VP slot or HHS slot in 2016, but he doesn't appear to be running for the nomination at this point.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
First, why the lib compulsion to call him 'Piyush' when he has chosen to call himself Bobby? We all know why.
Very true. Just call him whatever is on his drivers license.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:56 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Very true. Just call him whatever is on his drivers license.
Hopefully he can keep his driver's license as private info. Why not just call him by the name that he has chosen for himself? Again, we all know what the intent here is from liberals. Naturally it's not going to be admitted, but it is crystal clear to everyone.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:08 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Hopefully he can keep his driver's license as private info. Why not just call him by the name that he has chosen for himself? Again, we all know what the intent here is from liberals. Naturally it's not going to be admitted, but it is crystal clear to everyone.
Nah. Whatever is on his drivers license is good enough. Why invent stuff?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:26 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Attack government bloat first, then look at taxes.

I'd like a ballpark 1 dollar tax increase for every 10 dollar cut to spending to try and bring down the national debt, tailored as need be for states/localities.

Taxes are not inherently bad or good, they just are. A knee jerk response is not constructive when it's a much bigger issue than this or that tax.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM

335 posts, read 424,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Attack government bloat first, then look at taxes.
Louisiana has already been stripped down to bare bones. LSU, other colleges, hospitals and nursing homes have been stripped to nothing. Yet, Louisiana taxpayers pay Duck Dynasty $328,521 an episode.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge..._more_tha.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies