Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2006, 04:31 PM

421 posts, read 348,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My point was that opportunities to get ahead in this economy are becoming non-existant. The government and the huge corporations are sucking every single cent they can from us with special interest legislation and loopholes. The disparity between rich and poor has never been greater in this country. The government has to be blamed for this. As I said in another post, I was able to buy a house nine years ago, when Clinton was in office. I could never afford to buy a house now! For the last six years I've had to cut back little by little what I spend. Just getting my hair cut is something I have to plan for! There is no use in comparing the US to North Korea or any other country in the world. We live HERE! Our Constitution guarantees us certain rights and they are being slowly eroded away by this administration's greed and hunger for power and probably just dumbness. There are other countries where the citizens are much better off that we are here, so comparisons are really irrelevant.

First of all may I ask what state you live in? The interest rates have been the lowest in many years and home ownership is at it's highest ever. The democrats did not win by bringing up the economy because the economy is better than ever and the unemployement rate is lower than the Clinton administration. If getting a hair cut is a major event when you can get a hair cut at a beauty school for 5.00 dollars you really do need to re-evaluate. Maybe you should have sold your house during the boom and cashed it in and bought in an up and coming area. I was living paycheck to paycheck in 2000 now I have over 300,000 I made in equity in my home and I have re-invested. I am an average Joe and I have been smart investing my new found money properly. You can't blame everthing on the government you have to make your own way. I don't think just because I invested properly and I am building a nice nest egg I should be penalyzed for people sitting around waiting for a better life instead of making it happen.A lot of avergae Joe's made a lot of money the last few years,I like to keep as much of my money as possible for my family. As far as corportations go I work for a large corportation and I have nice benefits. I never got a job from a poor person. If anyone one is gauging it's Big University with their rising tuitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 05:00 PM

112 posts, read 69,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
And it might also have to do with the fact that the Dems are the party which supports legalizing illegal aliens, many of whom are Hispanic. So of course they vote Dem. Now, I'm a Democrat, but I do NOT want aliens legalized. And really, you might as well ask why Blacks vote Dem. A lot of people vote based on history and family lines, but that doesn't mean they are uninformed. I know some are, but maybe they just agree with their family?

I do agree, however, that some people who vote are too stupid to live. In the 2004 Presidential, I knew a girl who voted for Bush just, and I mean just, because she didn't... get this: she didn't like Kerry's HAIR!!! Wow! Just... wow.

I am a republican, but enjoy hearing that they are democrats like yourself that does not go with the main stream. Its ok not to agree with everything that our personal party has to offer.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
Average Joe? Describe an average Joe. Our people in poverty here in America are better off than many countries middle class people. The average Joe owns a house, has more than one television, computer, cable, telephone and much more. Maybe you think that the average Joe shouldn't work for his money. Is that it? Welfare state for all. What do you think?
Way to put words in my mouth.

"Average Joe"- I describe him as someone who works 40 hours a week to put a roof over his head and food on his table and clothes on his kids' backs, as opposed to the corporate pigs who spend their entire "careers" feeding at the trough and then go off into retirement with a golden parachute. It's a broad generalization, to be sure, but I see a pretty clear distinction between the elite and the rest of us.

I do think the average Joe should work for his money. I work in a jail and come across dozens of people every day who make a living beating the system, and I don't respect that at all. However, for every one of them, there are 10 other people out there who would rather dumpster-jump than accept government handouts. That's another fallacious argument- why do you think I am in support of people getting all sorts of handouts when I work to earn my own living? Do you think I want people living the good life on MY dime?

The fact that our poverty-stricken are "better off" than people in other countries isn't the point- it's a straw man argument. A country that has the resources and wealth of the United States should be appalled that we have so many people living at or below poverty level. We should be doing everything we can to help these people better themselves, instead of failing to educate them, letting them know through institutional discrimination that they have no place in our society, and then wondering so many poor people decide that they're better off selling drugs than getting gainful employment.

My original point is that I don't believe the Republican party serves the best interests of the vast majority of Americans from an economic perspective. They serve their own best interests, and could care less about you and me. They have created a deficit that the next three generations will be paying off, all to feed the military-industrial complex and the oil companies. They want to privatize Social Security, which will yank a safety net away from millions of Americans. They would be more than happy to keep minimum wage at $5.15. Sure, many Americans do enjoy a higher standard of living than those in third-world countries, but do today's Republicans deserve some kind of standing ovation for us being economically stronger than Nicaragua?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 PM

The fact that our poverty-stricken are "better off" than people in other countries isn't the point- it's a straw man argument. A country that has the resources and wealth of the United States should be appalled that we have so many people living at or below poverty level. We should be doing everything we can to help these people better themselves, instead of failing to educate them, letting them know through institutional discrimination that they have no place in our society, and then wondering so many poor people decide that they're better off selling drugs than getting gainful employment.

What do the democrats do for these people other than to keep them dependant on the government?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post

What do the democrats do for these people other than to keep them dependant on the government?
Well, raising minimum wage is a good start, at least.

I don't disagree that Democrats haven't been very effective, either- just better-intentioned. However, Democrats have the general outlook that the individual shouldn't be blamed or shunned for being poor, being black, being whatever, whereas the Republicans put the blame on the individual. My problem with the Republican approach is that you take a 5-year old kid who is being raised in ignorance and relative squalor, and what do you think he is going to think is "normal" as he grows up- ignorance. He didn't choose to be poor. He just doesn't know anything else. At least Dems recognize that the cycle needs to be broken.

I feel that Democrats also need to stop theorizing and talking and start doing. I just feel that their philosophies put them in a better position to solve the poverty problem than the Republicans'. But they need to start putting their money where their mouth is.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,414 times
We have had 40 years of the great society. What has it accomplished ? Other than keeping people hooked on Govt handouts. I believe in a hand up not hand outs. I dont see anything that dems have accomplished since LBJ

Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post

"Average Joe"- I describe him as someone who works 40 hours a week to put a roof over his head and food on his table and clothes on his kids' backs, as opposed to the corporate pigs who spend their entire "careers" feeding at the trough and then go off into retirement with a golden parachute. It's a broad generalization, to be sure, but I see a pretty clear distinction between the elite and the rest of us.

I do think the average Joe should work for his money. I work in a jail and come across dozens of people every day who make a living beating the system, and I don't respect that at all. However, for every one of them, there are 10 other people out there who would rather dumpster-jump than accept government handouts. That's another fallacious argument- why do you think I am in support of people getting all sorts of handouts when I work to earn my own living? Do you think I want people living the good life on MY dime?

My original point is that I don't believe the Republican party serves the best interests of the vast majority of Americans from an economic perspective. They serve their own best interests, and could care less about you and me. They have created a deficit that the next three generations will be paying off, all to feed the military-industrial complex and the oil companies. They want to privatize Social Security, which will yank a safety net away from millions of Americans. They would be more than happy to keep minimum wage at $5.15. Sure, many Americans do enjoy a higher standard of living than those in third-world countries, but do today's Republicans deserve some kind of standing ovation for us being economically stronger than Nicaragua?
Yes we do! MIN wage is good where it is. If you raise it prices go up and it defeats the purpose. And S.S. wont be here when the majority of us retire (DO your homework) not just what the libs tell you. Look at both sides of the SS issue and it is plane as day. And when the person at the donut shop can't even make a coffe right why should we pay them more. Life is what you make it, if the lower class don't want to make something of it they deserve min wage. It's not our job to support them. We all start at the bottom and work our way up. Some just are not good enough to make it. But that's good we need ppl to work @ Mikky D's and the likes. Anyone that works has my respect it is the bums that don't, that don't. But things like Affirmative action don't help they give free rides to those that don't deserve it. PPL work hard to get into college, to be turned away because a minority who wouldn't even make the cut has to get it. If they worked as hard as the person that should have got it they would have got it. I have had to hire ppl that had less Experience than the one that should of had the job because, they where a minority, and it was a gov contract. That's just wrong. The jobs and college's should go to those that QUALIFY for them. as I sated the libs Just don't get it.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well, raising minimum wage is a good start, at least.

I don't disagree that Democrats haven't been very effective, either- just better-intentioned. However, Democrats have the general outlook that the individual shouldn't be blamed or shunned for being poor, being black, being whatever, whereas the Republicans put the blame on the individual. My problem with the Republican approach is that you take a 5-year old kid who is being raised in ignorance and relative squalor, and what do you think he is going to think is "normal" as he grows up- ignorance. He didn't choose to be poor. He just doesn't know anything else. At least Dems recognize that the cycle needs to be broken.

I feel that Democrats also need to stop theorizing and talking and start doing. I just feel that their philosophies put them in a better position to solve the poverty problem than the Republicans'. But they need to start putting their money where their mouth is.

I don't think the minimum wage is going to help anything. These wages are for un-skilled positions not meant for supporting a family.

I think education is key and personal responsibility is important for bettering one's self. You can't enable people to make themselves better. We all know right from wrong. We know we should not keep having children if we can't support them. Many people that live in poverty keep having multiple children. How can you tell me these people think this is the right thing to do. If you are poverty stricken for one reason or another and are receiving a government check why would you keep having children? We need to get these people off welfare and into a job. Instead of keep writing them checks we ought to be asking them what are they doing to better themselves to get out of this situation. I would say a good 80-85% are on government assistance because it is a way of life for them and it's time we cracked down on this and made it their personal responsibility. The unemployement rate is lower than it's ever been. We have a President saying we have jobs Americans won't do. Why aren't these people working?

Old 11-22-2006, 10:27 PM

112 posts, read 69,366 times
Quote:

I was just simply reading between the lines. First of all I like to commend you for your hard work keeping us safe. I say this because I have friends that work at a correctional facility and the general public have know idea what you guys go through. As far as I'm concerned you are serving our country and I thank you for that. We simply have a difference of opinions when it comes to this subject. I think that America is the best place to live and work in the world. The opportunity is there for everybody to be successful. What we need is more people being role models to these people that need help not more government programs.

Last edited by thecuban; 11-22-2006 at 10:38 PM..

Old 11-23-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
I was just simply reading between the lines. First of all I like to commend you for your hard work keeping us safe. I say this because I have friends that work at a correctional facility and the general public have know idea what you guys go through. As far as I'm concerned you are serving our country and I thank you for that. We simply have a difference of opinions when it comes to this subject. I think that America is the best place to live and work in the world. The opportunity is there for everybody to be successful. What we need is more people being role models to these people that need help not more government programs.
Jail is... different, to say the least I'm glad that I get to go home at the end of the day, let's put it that way!

Differences of opinion are cool, and when you really boil it all down, I think we both want the same thing- we just don't agree on some of the details. America is without a doubt the best place in the world, and what kills me is seeing all of those poor people who are staying stuck because to me it represents so much wasted potential. We need more people (read: especially politicians) rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty instead of blaming or producing flowery rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies