Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:17 AM

393 posts, read 504,024 times

Advertisements

Why do Blacks call each other the N word,but get mad when others do? Doesn't that send the wrong message to young people?

Old 03-12-2015, 02:19 AM

1,160 posts, read 714,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
Why do Blacks call each other the N word,but get mad when others do? Doesn't that send the wrong message to young people?
Why do you think they do it?

Old 03-12-2015, 02:51 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
It sends the message that it is alright to call a Black person that name. Young White children hear it being used and they think it is alright for them to use.
It sends the message that it is alright to call a Black person that name. Young BLACK children hear it being used and they think it is alright for them to use.

Easy peasy.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 714,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
It sends the message that it is alright to call a Black person that name. Young BLACK children hear it being used and they think it is alright for them to use.

Easy peasy.
Maybe it is okay for them to use it....who am I or you to say what someone calls someone else? I dont get why you care, just teach your kids that its an inappropriate word.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:13 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
The message its sends is if you are black its okay to use the word whats so difficult about to understand? The identical thing is common within most any other ethnic group.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:34 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The message its sends is if you are black its okay to use the word whats so difficult about to understand? The identical thing is common within most any other ethnic group.
Of course it is. I routinely call my friends whitey, cracka, casper, and etc. as do many other white people. You hear it all the time- right?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:42 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Being called a contemptuous slur without cause is alarming. But it is even more alarming if one is contemptuous.

Being worthless, disreputable, despicable and disgraceful does not change because one cannot use a word that refers to that condition.

What characteristics are being denigrated by the contemptuous slur, and are they too close to the mark?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
In Oklahoma we jovially refer to ourselves as "Okies" all the time. However, in places like California and Texas it is used as a pejorative term and is sometimes used in a condescending tone or with invective. When this occurs it does elicit a bit of a different (more visceral) reaction than the "slap on the back" Okie usage here at home.

I try to think of this when the "N" word is discussed because it's the closest I can relate to what an african american person must feel when a white person uses it in a condescending way (as in the case of the OU SAE house) or with invective like we would see at a Klan rally. Conversely, I think this idea of "owning" the word may be a part of this phenomenon although in the case of the "N" word, young black people have slightly changed the spelling and the pronunciation of the word in order to rebrand it.

It would be like white people taking the word "peckerwood" which is a pejorative given to white people and changing it to "peckahwood".

Old 03-12-2015, 06:07 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Double Standard. That is the message it sends. Hardly a productive move on the part of a group that claims repression. Hypocrisy is not a proper strategy to convey your point.

Besides, it is a DISGUSTING WORD. Vile, offensive, and pathetic.

I was on the Metro last summer with my 6 year old and two black men were spewing it out like crazy. I finally asked them to stop while pointing to my kid. They looked at me like I was crazy and then complied. For God's sake! How the hell do you claim something is horrible and then have the nerve to say it in front of children like it is normal? Really. I would like to know the deranged reasoning behind that level of thinking.

It's a vile word desertdestroiter! Stop shrugging your shoulders and looking the other way. Send it the way of the dodo bird! Take a moral stance for once in your life. Have some courage!

You don't like white people calling you that and you are right. I don't like that either but I also don't like black men babbling it like its nothing. Grown black men calling each other the N word in public. How utterly low class and pathetic.

Kill the word!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-12-2015 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-12-2015, 06:09 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Of course it is. I routinely call my friends whitey, cracka, casper, and etc. as do many other white people. You hear it all the time- right?
http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/loca...a35a65699.html
You have to socialize with diffrent groups of people and be the only person in the group who is not a member of the ethnic group to understand that everybody does it. If people feel comfortable around you they do it and they don't expect you to use those words around them or otherwise. I doubt that this gang /criminal enterprise in Missouri would allow a black person to call them that word to their face.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-12-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies